Jesus Camp

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Mucuna, Sep 26, 2006.

Sep 26, 2006

Jesus Camp by Mucuna at 2:42 PM (1,994 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. Mucuna
    OP

Member Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Hello people.
    The movie is Jesus Camp (www.jesuscampthemovie.com).

What's your opinion about that movie (if someone already watched it)? I belive it is only in USA, but maybe I am wrong.
    I just saw the trailer and I found it... scary. [​IMG]

2. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It's a free country. Or at least it's supposed to be. Being able to peacefully exercise religious freedom is one of the principles that the USA was founded on. Besides, your average jesus freak type girl keeps her _____ cleaner.

3. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    shes not much of a jesus freak if you know how clean her _____ is.

christianity, currently its seeming like one of the worst cults of today [​IMG]

4. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Looks scary and sad.
    I was brought up in a sort of a "Jesus camp" since I went to a baptist christian school from kindergarten to 6th grade.
    I'm an atheist now, just goes to show ya, you can escape such things. I'll admit it was difficult though.
    I don't mind if my kids "get religion" after they're 12 yrs old or so. Before then, I don't really think they have the brains to handle the concept beyond the "Big Daddy in the Sky" idea.
    Btw, I'm not trying to diss the religious, most people I know and love are religious.
    Jesus, if he did exist and was quoted accurately, had a lot on the ball. The sermon on the mount makes a lot more sense than say, the 10 commandments, to me anyway.

5. Mucuna
    OP

Brazil
    The problem is not exatally the religion. Is how some people use it on little kids. It can easily become dangerous.

6. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States

Christianity is not a cult. There are religious freaks who consider themselves Christians, and if organized they may constitute a cult. Go to Japan or China, and you will meet some crazy freaks who consider themselves Buddhists. Go to the Middle East, and you will meet some crazy freaks who consider themselves Muslim.

There are extremists and mentally unhinged people going off the deep end with every religion on the planet. This does not mean the traditional establishment of that religion is no longer legitimate or has become a "cult."

7. mthrnite

United States
    It's hard to say what's legitimate where intangible concepts are concerned. I'll certainly agree with Hanafuda on the crazy people screwin' up the process of the search for meaning. If a religious sect doesn't have some wiggle room for exploration outside of itself, it tends toward the crazy end of the spectrum. People who claim to know the mind of god tend to start acting as if they are god.

8. Mucuna
    OP

Brazil
    The problem is not teology any more. It's the ideology.

EDIT: Those people belive they are following the highest of the ideals. For them, anything that them do, is justifiable.

9. cruddybuddy

Banned cruddybuddy Group: Banned!

United States
    None of your replies have been on topic. He wanted to know what your opinion of the movie is, not how much you hate Christians.

Enjoy your topic while it lasts. *ducks for the looming "CLOSED" stamp.*

10. Mucuna
    OP

Brazil
    Yeah, the main thing is about the movie content.

And it not just about christianity. As I said, it is how you uses it.[​IMG]

11. lastdual

lastdual Newbie

A movie about "Jesus Camp" where are kids are taught to be "dedicated soldiers in God's army"?

Sorry, but this looks to me like an obvious attempt at moral equivalence - to paint Christianity in the same light as radical Islam; and there's a big difference between a vacation bible school and al-Qaeda training camp. Anti-intellectuals would like to look at any terrorist attack/etc and blame "religion" rather than getting specific. Of course, that's about as intelligent as blaming "economics" for poverty.

In any case, dangerous ideologies aren't limited to religion. It's any ideology where the ends justifies the means.

12. iza

Member iza gbatemp, the new crack

United States
    I could take a handful of children and brainwash them too.......
    ...I've been to church camp before, i went for 5 years in a row. but i was older than they were. 13-17. of course i didnt go for the right reasons (the girl to guy ratio was 5:1). I was old enough to make my own decisions, some these children are still in their Pre-Operational stage(they are just beginning to realize things have meaning behind them) they wont be rationaly mature for another 5-8 years.

13. mthrnite

United States
    I haven't seen the movie yet, it doesn't come to my area till october. I went all over the mentioned web site though, and I think that alone can spur healthy debate.

In my country there is a majority of christians, but when divided into the wide variety of disparate beliefs within that overarching label, there is absolutely no consensus on what is justified by christianity. There is no christian standard. My mom was a free will baptist and my dad is a primitive (read pre-destination) baptist, opposite ends of the christian spectrum right there, just within one subdivision of the faith.

To lump all of christianity into one bag (especially the bag the movie seems to be describing) is the same as lumping all of Islam in the same bag. The vocal minority tends to get the attention, and foolish people then assume that the fanatics describe the religion. They don't. They're just shouting louder.

We've got enough problems on this planet without creating holy wars where none are needed. Hopefully the movie will spur thought, and debate, and show some christians that there are equivilents to "radical Islam" brewing in their own faith. If left unchecked these pockets of hate tend to grow.

And blowing stuff up in the name of god is the same, regardless if it's a car bomb or an air raid. That's why one of my favorite aspects of living in this country is the seperation of church and state. I hope we can manage to keep it that way. Political ideologies are complex enough without throwing religion into the mix.

I'll shut up now [​IMG] for a few minutes anyway.. ..well, right after I quote Dr. King:
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

14. ds6220

Member ds6220 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    www.chud.com reviewed the movie here and it is a pretty good read about the movie. Chud tends to be pretty hard on movies and they gave it an 8 out of 10.

on a side note it seems to me that the type of christians that scare me the most are the ones not willing to think for themselves. They have a lot of questions (who dosen't really) and will simply accept the crazy answers that religion tends to give. (seriously. Light on the first day but no sun or stars till the 4th? Huh? [​IMG] )

15. saxamo

Member saxamo Spaaaaace!

United States
    "That's why one of my favorite aspects of living in this country is the seperation of church and state"

Lmao, psyche. With anti-abortion and gay marriage bans on the rise, I get that nasty foul taste of christianity inmy mouth.

16. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    I'm all for people having religious beliefs, but organised relgion is just horrible, It's led to so many wars on this planet that it would be best to do away with it. That Jesus Camp movie looks pretty scary, brainwashing kids like that. But of course it doesn't speak for all Christians.

Still, George Bush and his Christian crusades, Muslim extremeists and there terrorism. This has been going on for millenia. If organised religion was disposed of then we'd get rid of some of these prejudices.

It's probably never going to happen but I can at least hope it does in the next few hundred years. God might become irrelivant in the future.

17. mthrnite

United States
    Alright sax, so I'm an optimist, shoot me! [​IMG]

A woman still can choose to terminate a pregnancy in every state. Though there are bans in place in many states, most are not enforceable according to court rulings.
    As for gay marriage... Gays have come a long way towards equal rights, but they're currently suffering a backlash from their progress. They'll get there with time.

I'm not saying things are perfect, far from it. When I got married I had to sign a contract with "God", and I was married by a magistrate in a government building, not in a church. I felt dishonest signing it, but it was the only way I could be in a recognized union with my wife. I think when civil unions are the norm, not only gays, but us atheists will reap the benefits. The religious can have the word marriage as far as I'm concerned, no skin off my back.

Also, Opium, I agree with most of what you say about organized religions, but I see them becoming more open-minded with time, not less. Even the most religious of people will agree that the earth orbits the sun, and not the other way around, and most don't stone their children for disobedience any more. I don't think god will ever be irrelevant, but he does tend to get smarter and nicer right along with his followers.

18. saxamo

Member saxamo Spaaaaace!

United States
    Yeah! I wouldn't want to get married, but the damn legality of it all!

19. mthrnite

United States
    There really should be an institution "like" marriage for couples that want to commit to a lifetime together, granting the same benefits as marriage, but not called marriage and not tied to religion in any way. Then the christians couldn't say a thing about it, and anybody that wanted a religious ceremony to go along with it would have the option (their church willing of course.)

I thank the gays & lesbians for pushing the issue and doing all the hard work (Thankth Guyth. [​IMG] ) I don't think citizens should have to make deals with the invisible man where state issues are concerned, and the g&l's really are bravely championing the issue.

And btw, I'd love to read the essay you mentioned. Obviously this is a topic that interests me, could you tell?

20. cruddybuddy

Banned cruddybuddy Group: Banned!

United States
    Here's a fun statement that only the most ignorant and illogical people can become upset with me for:

I wish that every woman that has an abortion would have been aborted themselves.

Enjoy!