Homebrew JenesisDS Compatibility List - anybody want to help update?

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Added -

Sonic 3 Complete (hack) - Not working. Rom too large (over 3MB). Use S3&K instead.
Sonic Crackers - Works.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Simon Wai Prototype) - Works.
Pier Solar (beta) - Not working. Rom too large (over 3MB).

Really frustrating that the Pier Solar beta doesn't work. The full game is obviously way too big, but the beta is only a couple of hundred kilobytes over. :(

Where did you find the Pier Solar beta? (If I may ask. It's homebrew, not a commercial rom)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way, does anybody know how to sort roms alphabetically without copying them all back over again?

There's a DS program I've used in the past for my slot-2 Supercard, called MCTool, which sorts files alphabetically on your card without having to hook it up to your computer first. Forewarning: this tool does direct updates to your file system, and I'm not sure how much testing has been done on newer devices and SD cards, so I would highly recommend making a backup of your card first, just in case. In fact, the README even says.
- FAT-32 formatted cards >1 GB will cause a memory allocation error ("Not enough space"). This is due to the size of the FAT, which is bigger than the memory available to malloc() on the DS. Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done to avoid that. Try formatting the card with bigger clusters: 64 KB is the recommended size for optimal R/W speed, while FAT32 uses 4 KB by default! You will waste some space with clusters that big, so it's your choice.

It was an older tool made in the days before SDHC, so I don't think it will work on anything bigger than 2 GB, but I could be wrong.

Digitsie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These didn't work (though I did not try the Hardware init settings, so you may want to try those)
None of the Phantasy Star II Text Adventures (translated)
Beggar Prince
Bill's Tomato Game
Magic Girl

those -did- work (without fiddling):
Lobo (prototype)
Greylancer (translated)
Alisa Dragoon
Barver Battle Saga (translated)
Beyond Oasis
Dynamite Headdy
Elemental Master
Gaiares
Legend of Wukong
MUSHA
Nadia (translated)
Pulseman
Ranger X
Star Odyssey
Sword of Vermillion
Tougi-Oh (King Colossus) Translated
Trouble Shooter
Trouble Shooter (vintage, translated)
Twinkle Tale (translated)
Undead Line (translated)

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Where did you find the Pier Solar beta? (If I may ask. It's homebrew, not a commercial rom)
I'm still not sure if I can link to it because the game is actually still being sold. Regardless, it was on the third link down when Googling for it.

There's a DS program I've used in the past for my slot-2 Supercard, called MCTool, which sorts files alphabetically on your card without having to hook it up to your computer first. Forewarning: this tool does direct updates to your file system, and I'm not sure how much testing has been done on newer devices and SD cards, so I would highly recommend making a backup of your card first, just in case. In fact, the README even says.

It was an older tool made in the days before SDHC, so I don't think it will work on anything bigger than 2 GB, but I could be wrong.
Thanks, I'll give it a go! It might not like my 16GB card though...

These didn't work (though I did not try the Hardware init settings, so you may want to try those)
Beggar Prince
Bill's Tomato Game
Magic Girl

those -did- work (without fiddling):
Lobo (prototype)
Greylancer (translated)
Alisa Dragoon
Barver Battle Saga (translated)
Beyond Oasis
Dynamite Headdy
Elemental Master
Gaiares
Legend of Wukong
MUSHA
Nadia (translated)
Pulseman
Ranger X
Star Odyssey
Sword of Vermillion
Tougi-Oh (King Colossus) Translated
Trouble Shooter
Trouble Shooter (vintage, translated)
Twinkle Tale (translated)
Undead Line (translated)
Thanks, I'll add those and look into the ones that didn't work.

By the way, I'm sure most of us (myself included) are only testing games for a little bit so if people encounter issues later in games, feel free to update the list.

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Beggar Prince
Bill's Tomato Game
Magic Girl

Just tested these.

Bill's Tomato Game - Works with H-INIT enabled.
Beggar Prince - Not working, rom too large.
Phantasy Star II Text Adventure Annie's Adventure - Not working, red screen after title.
Xiao Monv Magic Girl - Working.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't add entry's yet by

Spider-Man & Venom - Maximum Carnage runs with major graphic issues

Fix Felix Jr doesn't load although its under 3mb

I believe many home brew games don't work even if under 3mb

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Chinese version, or the translated version? The translated version was the one that didn't work for me.

personally speaking in the list it would probably be helpful for the future if we add what version of the game we are using as often different versions of the game can perform differently

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'll try the English translated version.

I think we should only list which version we are using if it is a problem game. It wouldn't be useful to list every revision of every game if all revisions work because then the list would become unnecessarily bloated. However, if we know that one version works while another does not, then list both.

In my opinion, anyway!

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try the English translated version.

I think we should only list which version we are using if it is a problem game. It wouldn't be useful to list every revision of every game if all revisions work because then the list would become unnecessarily bloated. However, if we know that one version works while another does not, then list both.

In my opinion, anyway!

sounds good, thats really what we should do as it will probably keep it looking clear and much less confusing. Also im thinking do we really need to list all the 3mb plus games or should we just list that all roms over 3mb dont work?

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I think we should list the 3MB+ roms simply because most people don't know how big a rom is before they download it. I think such roms are in a minority, but we can always remove these later if they become too numerous.

Besides, I'm always hoping that somebody will see those in the list and make a trimmed version of those games, like with S3&K. We can hope, eh?

By the way, I think we should make sure to test roms with Hardware INIT both enabled and disabled. Enabling it seems to fix loads of games, but there must be a reason why it's disabled by default (speed, maybe?).

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we should list the 3MB+ roms simply because most people don't know how big a rom is before they download it. I think such roms are in a minority, but we can always remove these later if they become too numerous.

Besides, I'm always hoping that somebody will see those in the list and make a trimmed version of those games, like with S3&K. We can hope, eh?

By the way, I think we should make sure to test roms with Hardware INIT both enabled and disabled. Enabling it seems to fix loads of games, but there must be a reason why it's disabled by default (speed, maybe?).

true but it would be alot easier to make jenesisds able to run 3mb plus games than it would be to trim games.

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Not without the source code, probably! :)

In reality, I think neither will happen. The S3&K hack works by stripping out the multiplayer stages. Who knows, maybe somebody will attempt that with other games? Probably not, though.

Yet another example of why things really need to be open source.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any way one thing
Not without the source code, probably! :)

In reality, I think neither will happen. The S3&K hack works by stripping out the multiplayer stages. Who knows, maybe somebody will attempt that with other games? Probably not, though.

Yet another example of why things really need to be open source.

Depends I personally don't see why you'd make something closed source if you don't make money on it

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The Lion King seems to work better with H-INIT set to auto rather than ON. The latter does weird things with the sound. I guess some games prefer it disabled. A shame we can't save per-game settings.

EDIT - Actually, I think it happens either way. Some occasional framerate issues and sound quirks. No biggie.

EDIT 2 - Disabling Force Update reduces the slowdown. Maybe worth trying with other games that slow down or have framerate issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality