"Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II" gets a fan remake recreation made in Unreal Engine.

Once again, dedicated fans delve into a galaxy far, far away, to bring back that thrill and fun that they had with some of the old media that the franchise got before the dark times, before the (Disney) Empire.

Some time ago, a group of dedicated fans and developers released the "Force Engine", a reverse engineered project to recreate the engine of the original "Star Wars: Dark Forces" game, which allows it to be played with modern standards of control mapping, higher resolutions and bunch of other QoL changes, much like Doom and/or Quake had in the last couple decades since the source code for those games was shared to the public.

Now, a user by the name of Ruppertle has taken the mantle to give the sequel "Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II" a much needed makeover with its v1.0 release of a remake of the game made from scratch in Unreal Engine. This recreation comes with fully remade 3D models for the characters, and a revamp of the level design thanks to what Unreal Engine offers, as well as some visual flare and details taken from the actual depictions of the planets, cities and settings from the Star Wars franchise.

The remake offers a couple of levels from the original game for this initial reveal, as well as some extra modes for players to enjoy.
Those interested in the fan remake can get it from Ruppertle's Discord server or through his Patreon.

Ruppertle said:
Welcome to my first Unreal Engine project. The goal was to recreate one of my favorite games back from my childhood while keeping the base look, feeling and gameplay and of course learning the engine itself.

After nearly 3 years of development the project is finally at a point where I feel ready to share it with you.

Original game by LucasArts from 1997
Version 1.0 comes with:
  • 2 official levels from the original game
  • 4 Survival levels
  • Sandbox mode
  • 3D model viewer
  • Bonus level for testing
  • Some secrets...

:arrow: Ruppertle's Discord Server
:arrow: Ruppertle's Patreon

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phew... I remember buying Jedi Knight one Steam a few years back (actually more like a decade now lol), after years of struggling to understand/play old school FPS. I did happen to use some upscale patch, but nothing like this... Amazing game, even if some of the puzzles are aggrivating.

Will definitely check it out when I have a minute

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
well retro studios has been using the same engine and updating it for 20 years, they call it the rude engine, so for that logic no games retro studios will make will ever be remakes even if they change everything because its on the "same" engine.
That is, in fact, not the same logic. Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition don't use the same engine either. It's not about the engine, it's about the base code.

Reactions: osaka35

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
it would be a remake even on the same engine, every asset is brand new basically they recreated the entire levels with new 3d models, not sure what he sees there to call it a remaster...
Scenes that i saw. THey look on pair with old, just a bit updated. I see a remake as metroid vs metroid zero mission. when you look at it it looks and feels like a completely new game not related to old one except in story.
But a remaster is what the word is saying, skeleton is the same, just retouched/remastered, polished.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Scenes that i saw. THey look on pair with old, just a bit updated. I see a remake as metroid vs metroid zero mission. when you look at it it looks and feels like a completely new game not related to old one except in story.
But a remaster is what the word is saying, skeleton is the same, just retouched/remastered, polished.
they made entirely new models for everything from characters to maps... so on your book spyro trilogy/crash trilogy are not remakes because the game are the same but with every 3d model remade to current graphics? ...

GBCBestHandheld

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
what an idiot not only is he ripping it off but his trying to get money from a patreon for it!

INCOMING DMCA!

My conspiracy theory is that since he titled it V1 he probably isn't that interested in developing it anymore. He got what he wanted out of the project, now it's time to collect some clout, patreon money, let this thing get DMCA'd and leave it as a trophy in his portfolio.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: