Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

java-logo.jpg

For those unaware java is a high level programming language which courtesy of its tendency to be compiled to bytecode and then be interpreted is largely cross platform, it is of special note as it is a fairly high level language (something the DS is lacking in support for) and is now widely taught as part of computer programming courses.

Functions available at this stage are quite limited and it is suggested you aim for J2SE 1.4/version 1.4 of the java language as higher will not work.
icon11.gif
GBADev topic

icon11.gif
java4gba, a java virtual machine and the base for the DS port.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_%28programming_language%29

Great developement if you ask me (though I wonder what performance it will get and how much developement will/can be done)
smile.gif
. At least I know a little Java
biggrin.gif

I'd assume it is the Java SE Embedded version that is being ported over. Performance here is definitely the biggest issue, so it will be interesting to see how it goes. If it has a decent amount of the library ported over, this will make homebrew development much easier.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_%28programming_language%29

Great developement if you ask me (though I wonder what performance it will get and how much developement will/can be done)
smile.gif
. At least I know a little Java
biggrin.gif

I'd assume it is the Java SE Embedded version that is being ported over. Performance here is definitely the biggest issue, so it will be interesting to see how it goes. If it has a decent amount of the library ported over, this will make homebrew development much easier.
Depends on how many of the DS's features are implemented of course (as now only hello world could work really
smile.gif
) and how much of the libraries. The port is currently a direct port (with slight modifications) of Java4GBA with DLDI support added. It broadens the programming languages the DS support which is always nice but C(++) will of course still have way better performance and this will need a lot of developement. So best of luck to josath
smile.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands

Hellios

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
I would much rather see J2ME working on a DS than anything else. Seriously, DS homebrew would explode if j2me was properly implemented.

Not to mention we'd get a decent web browser (Opera Mini > any other Opera product)

But still, this is amazing news!

crafton48

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finally this is awesome news gonna try porting a few of my apps over to the DS,
do you think that it will be able to use the Ds wifi at all? I mean will we be able to use the standard Java libs for networking or will there be some speical ones written?

d33t

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm all for DS development, but I have a hard time believing Java will run well on the DS. I guess time will tell. Hope something comes of this for sure!

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
!

That is all. I didn't even know someone had been working on Java on the GBA. Excellent stuff!
I'd assume it is the Java SE Embedded version that is being ported over.
Potential blonde moment: Java4GBA is built around CLDC, doesn't that imply that it's actually based on J2ME? (and that would make more sense on a portable device)

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
THis is great and all but I was hoping for flash support..
Don't quote me on this, but I don't see any commercial DS games that have vector graphics. Flash = frame by frame vector animations with code. If anyone gets time to port flash to DS (the latest flash) it would probably run 2 seconds per frame. BUT I do think at the beginning of the DS lifetime (before lites) Natrium42 made a flash player. I think it only accepted a max of 10fps and Flash4.0 without any actionscript. But this is from like a year ago, if not longer, and i don't remember too well.

TSPhoenix

Trophies
XP
Country
So what exactly can and can't this DS Java do.

It seems to run basic output and mathematical operations fine. But what else can it do?

I haven't messed with this much, but I will.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c