Source:Kotaku

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I had no idea the xbox sold that bad in Japan!
ohmy.gif

Sure I knew it was bad, but not THAT bad!

almost 30 million ds's?!??! thats more than 3 times the whole population of sweden!
tongue.gif

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I was expecting the PSP sales to be worse. They aren't too bad at all. I'm surprised the Wii figures are still high. Doesn't everyone who wants one have it already?
smile.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deanxxczx said:
I think Japan hate Microsoft
tongue.gif

They only care about Japanese company's
I don't think any Western console or even computer has done well there. True that they don't go for many games not developed in Japan, even games that were always made by Japanese developers like House of the Dead that sold well in the past have done poorly mainly because it has a Western developer.

Shame, they're missing out on a lot of great stuff.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Issac said:
I had no idea the xbox sold that bad in Japan!
ohmy.gif

Sure I knew it was bad, but not THAT bad!

almost 30 million ds's?!??! thats more than 3 times the whole population of sweden!
tongue.gif

The Xbox has a lot more popular western games. Most Xbox 360 games popular in Japan are also playable on the PS3, which has a lot more in the ways of Japanese games. And with the PS3 and Xbox now in the same price range, it's unexpected for the Japanese consumer to take the PS3 over the 360.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't forget the Japanese even tried to stay with "their" (selective; non-general) own compression method for computer data, even when it started to become hugely bad in comparison with other evolving compression formats

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uncle FEFL said:
Revolutionize said:
The DS is still selling well! Wow.

Spelling mistake in title. *Hardware
He also spelled Japanese wrong.

Aren't many Japanese people protectionists? I see no reason why you wouldn't buy something just because it's western. They're like Russia from the 1500's - mid 1800's.

It's Rocky, typos are common place.

Well, it's not some type of disdain for western products, it's just different cultures. Games like Halo, Gears of War, and Call of Duty just aren't something that appeal to the masses of Japan. You throw out something like FFXIII, Monster Hunter Tri, or Tales of Vesperia and you've got Japanese consumers gobbling it up. It's kinda like how anime isn't very popular in the US but is hugely popular in Japan; different cultures, different tastes.

D

Deleted_171835

Guild McCommunist said:
Uncle FEFL said:
Revolutionize said:

Aren't many Japanese people protectionists? I see no reason why you wouldn't buy something just because it's western. They're like Russia from the 1500's - mid 1800's.

Well, it's not some type of disdain for western products, it's just different cultures. Games like Halo, Gears of War, and Call of Duty just aren't something that appeal to the masses of Japan. You throw out something like FFXIII, Monster Hunter Tri, or Tales of Vesperia and you've got Japanese consumers gobbling it up. It's kinda like how anime isn't very popular in the US but is hugely popular in Japan; different cultures, different tastes.
Actually, I heard Japanese people typically purchase Japanese products to support their economy.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revolutionize said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Uncle FEFL said:
Revolutionize said:

Actually, I heard Japanese people typically purchase Japanese products to support their economy.

Most countries do. Sure, you're Canadian, so you don't have any products outside of snow and maple syrup (that was a joke), but in America we always say "BUY AMERICAN!" and crap like that. Companies actually use the whole "MADE IN AMERICA!" thing as a promotional tool, especially since the China lead scare.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well the DS includes the new DSi and even the newer DSi LL. I don't see why you're all so surprised it's selling so well, especially when the only competition it has is from the PSP.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:

Most countries do. Sure, you're Canadian, so you don't have any products outside of snow and maple syrup (that was a joke), but in America we always say "BUY AMERICAN!" and crap like that. Companies actually use the whole "MADE IN AMERICA!" thing as a promotional tool, especially since the China lead scare.
Rockstar is cool, he can have however many typos he wants. He better know how to play the drums, guitar, or bass though.

I agree with that. Even though we can't compete with massive imports from China, people still feel the need to say buy American.

To me, this topic just made it seem like Japanese people don't care about western products because they're western, which isn't the case. So that's good.
biggrin.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Celice said:
don't forget the Japanese even tried to stay with "their" (selective; non-general) own compression method for computer data, even when it started to become hugely bad in comparison with other evolving compression formats
Nice reference to LZSS derivatives
smileipb2.png

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
also it could be tht japanese are always on the move so sitting down and playing is difficult for them and they may be reputation players ie. they stick to a company they know has been good which means handhelds from nintendo and playstation

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte