Japan's Unfair Competition Law Amended. Save Editing now illegal.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by SkittleDash, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Emenaria

Emenaria GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    Japan
    This news is twisted. It's not like you can get caught for modifying your own save files/consoles.
    These are what's been made illegal.
    - Distribution of tools and programs for modifying game saves
    - Selling product keys and serials online without the software maker's permission
    - Game save and console modding services
    As such, sales of products such as Pro Action Replay and Cybergadget's "Save editor" have been discontinued.
    Sources: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/abqpqo/save_game_editors_and_console_modding_services/
    http://www2.accsjp.or.jp/activities/2018/pr6.php

Last edited by Emenaria, Jan 4, 2019
  2. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Well, that still doesn't sound good overall.

3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    only in japan...

4. DKB

DKB ...!

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    damn japan just got nae'd nae'd

5. Burai-ha

Burai-ha GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2017
    Antarctica
    So a mistranslation is now enough to turn a democratic country into a dictatorship. Wow.

6. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    It sounds less like a mistranslation to me and more like there's wording that's meant to be specific but is still incredibly vague: "the act of illegally obtaining specialized data provided by a partner who manages it in tandem with an ID or password has been newly positioned as an unfair business practice". From the wording, it'd apply as much to Facebook tracking users based on embedded Google IDs or the reverse. Really, the second an ID or password is involved, it sounds like any third party access not authorized would be illegal. Of course, this is going off yet another person's translation and legalize is like its own separate language. The notion that Japan wouldn't mean the worse interpretation because it's absurd ignores that even the US has pushed absurdly broad laws (DMCA) and then de facto not enforced it everywhere. Yet, even today we're having the problem that a coffee maker are trying to ban 3rd party refillable cups using the DMCA.

7. Jokey_Carrot

Jokey_Carrot GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2017
    United Kingdom
    just because you paid for it doesn't mean it's yours, said absolutely no one

8. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    The whole, not being able to sell game keys is bull shit. Not many places will just give you a refund for a game key. I swear, the people of Japan are smoking something.

9. brynthomas80

brynthomas80 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2016
    They introduced the law to make it illegal to make money from editing saves or modifing game console hardware. The rules of the law are it's illegal to distribute save editors. Illegal to sell modified game hardware and illegal to charge a saving editing service. The law doesn't stop you editing your own saves or modifing your own console. You can still post how to edit a save but can't make save editor to send to others but can provide instructions for them to make their own editor or tell how to decrypt and encypt saves.

10. LuxerWap

LuxerWap The Green Husky with a Broken Tail

Sep 6, 2015
    United States
    Franklin, Georgia
    I want them to enforce this rule. Nice job, Japan! You're starting to settle this out for the better! :D

11. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    Nope, it's not April 1st. Damn.

12. AlphaBravo

AlphaBravo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Wouldnt surprise me if its true as the japanese are often quite complicit towards authority and would see it as dishonorable to question these kind of laws. It could happen in the west to but no chance that you would face these kind of repercussions.

Ryccardo likes this.
  13. Redhorse

Redhorse Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2017
    United States
    Twoson
    don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet or not, but I wonder if any of this is in response to things like Frogminer or games that save edits might apply to etc... now I realize they're (frog miner)not the same but, maybe they're 'closing a door before the cow leaves' regarding the switch

zoogie likes this.
  14. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Yah, its all Frogminer's fault. :P

15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Lol good luck enforcing it, that'll be the day

16. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    Now this is a stupid law
    I can list so many legitimate reasons one would want to manually edit a save file

17. Superman321

Superman321 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2018
    Germany
    I think that this is stupid. I can understand they dont want that you cheat online but why?

18. leafeon34

leafeon34 My profile picture is ugly

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    It's still harsh but at least the end user who wants to optimise their Pokemon without hours of breeding and EV training can legally do so.

I think that in the country where Nintendo and Sony work fucking miracles for the economy they have gained a bit too much political power.

19. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    ugh the day game companies own a freaking government will be the day everything goes to hell

20. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    Im gonna head to japan and edit some empire earth singleplayer saves and say "and what" I changed 1 bit on a 20 year old game that yall never even heard of...... They really cant police this you know. Really they should have passed "editing your saves on 3ds and nintendo switch gives us the right to brick your console." that would have made more sense...