Japanese Wiiware/VC/Wii games have scrambled font on US Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by TheShadowRunner, Aug 11, 2009.

1. TheShadowRunner
    OP

Member TheShadowRunner I'm like you, I have no name.

United States
    Hey all,
    I have a US LU64 Wii 4.1U and so far happy with it. [​IMG]

I mostly play Japanese games and while some work perfectly, there are quite a few that do not display the Japanese font properly.

The Japanese font is scrambled, as if the font was totally missing, or the "codepage" was wrong (in computer terms).

Exemple:

Wii game (DVD)
    [​IMG]

Wiiware: (exemple Alien Crush Returns JPN)
    [​IMG]

VC game (the sentence that appears at launch, that says "a classic controller is needed")
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know exactly what the problem is?

I solved the issue for Wii (DVD) games by enabling the VIDTV option.
    As soon as VIDTV is enabled, the Japanese font is displayed correctly, yaye!

But couldn't find a way to solve it for VC/Wiiware.
    While for VC it's not a problem since only the line that says "a classic controller is needed" is scrambled (the rest is OK), for Wiiware it's very distracting, making games completely unusable :/

So I have a couple of specific questions:

1. What is the VIDTV option actually doing in order to correct the issue for Wii (DVD) games?

2. How to force VIDTV option for VC/Wiiware games? (I would like to launch them normally from Wii menu, not using a loader if possible).

Any info on this is more than welcome.
    Thanks,

TSR

2. stev418

Member stev418 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    ok, i can let you know a few things, although i dont buy many jpn as a habit (i have FF1 and FF2)

Some JPN VC/WW only have one entry in banner file for JPN, so if your wii is set to any other language you only get a blank name box, you could unpack wads anf manually enter names for others language if you wanted. But The easiest way i would think though, is to use anyregionchanger and change the console language setting to japanese, this would also fix the garbled text is games

It is also possible to replace your VC nand-loader with a homebrew nand-loader that incorporates the VIDTV patch (although i no nothing about this actual patch) there are a few nand-loader replace3ments with source code around, you would just need to add patch code

Other then that, I believe Triiforce the new channel loader may have VIDTV patching

3. carbonyle

Member carbonyle GBAtemp Fan

Switzerland
    Maybe Custom NAND Loader v1.0 / NAND Loader Injector v1.0 from Waninkoko can help.

4. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    i am experiencing this "empty banner" on my PAL Wii with Akumajo Dracula X from PC Engine.

How do I put text in the banner ? Can somebody explain it please?

5. stev418

Member stev418 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    wanins loader does not have the needed patches at present, although you could add the code to it

6. TheShadowRunner
    OP

United States
    Thanks for your answers guys [​IMG]

I was wondering about this, since I would like to not use a loader but have the channels launch from the Wii menu directly, isn't it possible to patch the IOS(s) or cIOS or whatever it is in the nand that is responsible for the VIDTV behavior?
    (so that VIDTV is always active?)

I would try to change Language to Japanese first, but a permanent VIDTV patch would be the ultimate solution it seems, allowing to keep English Wii menu AND have correct Japanese fonts in VC/Wiiware.
    See you,

TSR

7. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    It just simply that US/EU Wii´s don´t have the needed font file but it still uses the values for the letters what ends in this strange text.
    If you use AnyRegionChanger you get a Japanese SysMenu with that needed font file but you whole wii is then a japanes wii so 4.1J.

8. TheShadowRunner
    OP

United States
    Hmm I'm getting confused here.
    Because stev418 is talking about changing the Language using ARC, but you're talking about changing the SysMenu, HUGE difference!

Besides, again, i'm on LU64 USA v4.1U, so i'm really not sure using ARC on that machine is doable at all.

Anyone with experience regarding this? (Using ARC on LU64 / 4.1U)

Thanks,

TSR

9. antonkan

Member antonkan GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Remember, TheShadowRunner, I PM'd you that in AnyRegionChanger you must set the language to Japanese before playing any type of Japanese Wii games.
    Just your settings in AnyRegionChanger and that's it. Play your Japanese Wii game.

10. TheShadowRunner
    OP

United States
    Oh yeah I know for sure you told me that, but I better be safe than sorry, by asking multiple sources, since changing Language to Japanese on a USA LU64 4.1 mchine is not documented *anywhere* [​IMG];

11. Knocks

Member Knocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Using AnyRegionChanger for this is a pretty bad idea, because you will be constantly writing to the important sections of your NAND just to display the right fonts, which means a high risk of bricking.

There is no other known solution for Wiiware games. Same with Japanese GameCube games that refuse to run on NTSC-U systems (e.g. Bomberman Jetters) or corrupt memory cards during saving (e.g. Mr. Driller Drill Land).

12. TheShadowRunner
    OP

United States
    Knocks, I don't understand your "constantly"..?
    Once the language is changed, that's about it when it comes to writing on Nand, isn't it?
    Please explain what you mean.
    Thanks,

TSR

13. antonkan

Canada
    You may use Gecko OS to play any type of Japanese Wii games, but before playing your games, in Gecko OS, set the language to Japanese.

14. TheShadowRunner
    OP

United States
    No, Gecko OS 1.92 changes nothing here. Scrambled and worse compatibility. No VIDTV patch either.

So have you changed your mind about it being OK to change Language to Japanese on my Wii LU64 4.1U now..? ^^

15. antonkan

Canada
    Yes I'm 100% sure. It won't brick your Wii.

16. WB3000

Member WB3000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Perhaps the font is a shared content of the System Menu, and you could add it in separately. Maybe both fonts could coexist within the System Menu title... [​IMG]

17. Knocks

Member Knocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

I'm assuming you're not going to want to convert your Wii to NTSC-J permanently, because doing so would change the default language for ALL your games, and then you'll have to tweak your NTSC-U and PAL games to work correctly. And going back and forth between regions requires writing to the NAND every time, which is not recommended at all.

18. TheShadowRunner
    OP

United States
    WB3000, i'm pretty sure the font is already there because using VIDTV enabled for Wii (DVD) games fixes the issue instantly...

The only thing needed is a way for Wiiware to use this font instead of the font that's displaying those weird characters..

Again, I would love to know what VIDTV is doing exactly [​IMG]

19. TheShadowRunner
    OP

United States
    Oh yeah I see what you mean now, thank you for this precision.
    I'm unsure what to do atm, still searching..

20. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Okay it could be possible but these games you are talking about have the font on the disc itself but there are still games that just try to use the font from the Wii and as far as i know there is no japanese font on a US/EU Wii.