Japanese Wii launch Pictures & Video

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by lookout, Dec 2, 2006.

Dec 2, 2006
  1. lookout
    OP

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    The japanese version wiimote-man
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Wii Japan line at Shinjuku Yodobashi Camera

2. Tamyu

Member Tamyu GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    We were in the Kachigumi (people who made reservations a LONG time ago and were guaranteed a system today) so no lining up for us...

But I just have have to comment - the Wii lines were so peaceful and content. Nothing like the chaos for the PS3. (Where most of the people lined up were resellers anyway.)

3. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Why is there a picture of "Wii countdown at Times Square"? For comparison?

4. Tamyu

Japan
    They`re there for comparison in the original article... It looks like someone just ripped the images and didn`t bother checking which were which. (Or they couldn`t READ the article to begin with.)

4th and 5th pics down are from the US launch.

5. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Hmm

Japan launch - Calm lines, people waiting in a parking garage?

U.S. launch - Crowds on both sides of the gate, strangers, and lattes? Hrm...

6. lookout
    OP

United Kingdom
    Euro - more freedom [​IMG]

7. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    Too bad I preordered my Wii... I'll miss out on all the romantic camping fun... [​IMG] Damn, I even got to work on Friday so I'll only get it in the afternoon... Oh well, it's only the second console i buy at launch (first was the GBA, weird impulse buy at that time...) and my first home console. Yes, I am embarrassed now that I didn't get a DS at launch but I was still in deep love with my Zodiac at that time so I had a good reason. [​IMG]

8. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Shame I won't see something like this in the cityI live in Scotland. Well, my older sister and I attended a midnight launch for the new harry potter book but it was at the local tesco. No mad scrambling. Just someone pulling up a pallet full of books and people politely taking the books. Somehow, I'm felling optimistic and walking into town the day after the launch and see if I can get one.

9. lookout
    OP

United Kingdom
    Nintendo's Wii is much higher than supply. Despite the fact that 400,000 units were made available on the console's December 2 launch day, it will all undoubtedly sell out. Getting a unit online isn't an easy task either. Despite the fact that Amazon Japan made multiple pre-order offers, all of the offers sold out in a matter of minutes.

Those who failed to pre-order crowded around most major electronic outlets in Tokyo. The lines numbered in the thousands. Yodobashi Camera had drawn over 1,000 people in line by 10 pm. The Shinjuku Bic Camera had a line of over 400 people at midnight.

In Yurakucho, the location of Bic Camera's main branch, at around 5 am, the store had a line of 1,200 people that snaked along the sidewalk for street blocks. An employee at the end of the line assured customers that that there were still plenty of Wiis still available. By 5:40 am, store employees capped the line at around 1,500 people.

10. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I still think the ultimate chaos for the wii will be when its released in Europe. With 400,000 for the whole of europe if you live in the UK you'll be really lucky to get one. With xmas round the corner loads of kids will be disappointed. Some online stores may decide to sell the wii on ebay and cancel pre orders saying they can't get them.

11. lookout
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ture ~ 400,000 it not that much for xmas [​IMG]

12. GameJesus

Member GameJesus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So NA was first to get wii even before Japan thats extremely weird.... everything is usually from there first

13. Tamyu

Japan
    They were working out all the bugs on you guys so we in Japan wouldn`t have to deal with them. [​IMG]

EU is late because it`s always late.

14. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    Did you see Japan's Virtual Console lineup? Genesis games are 200 points cheaper and the library is much more diverse (literally 4 full pages of games!)!! I feel that we're being short-changed here as if North America is the buggy market and Japan is the smash hit market unlike the other way around like it usually is.

Edit: Oh and when you buy a 5000 Wii Points Card you get a free classic controller. BS...we only get 2000 Wii Points Cards.

15. Veho

Croatia
    So the EU gets a batch of buggy ones, only late? Or do we get the shiny new bugless ones? Maybe with better wriststraps [​IMG]

16. Tamyu

Japan
    I was just joking about the testing it out bit, but it does seem they are testing the *online* system a bit with the US. If they had any bugs with that I`m sure they`ll be corrected with the EU versions too.

Then again, it seems like the EU Nintendo is a completely different entity, so who knows. [​IMG]

The reasons for the larger library of games is LICENSING. A lot of games weren`t released outside of Japan. And a lot of the ones that were ended up being licensed and released by companies different than those that produced them. To get the licensing in Japan, it`s easy. To get it in the US... Not so. That part really isn`t Nintendo`s fault. [​IMG]

Why should you be upset if the US is the buggy market? That`s what getting something first means. Everyone always complains about Japan getting something new first - if the majority wants it first, they should be prepared to accept the consequences of that. (ie. Bugginess, etc) Either way it`s a tradeoff.

And you know, Nintendo IS a Japanese company.

BTW, the 5000 wii points card is a launch special thing. It`s not like it`s going to be continued forever.

17. Veho

Croatia
    That's because most of those games wouldn't be a commercial success outside of Japan. And companies won't buy licenses for games they aren't sure would be successful. Moneyz make the world go 'round.

18. Tamyu

Japan
    That`s not the point though. What I`m saying is that it`s a futile point to complain about there being fewer VC games available in the US - The ones they put up first are the easiest to license. If the games weren`t released outside of Japan to begin with, they`re not going to be released there now.
    The biggest bit I meant about licensing refers to games that were released, but not by their original companies - Like the ones released by small and now defunct licensers. Makes it a bit harder to secure permission.