japanese wii channels on USA wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by chaseincats, May 18, 2010.

May 18, 2010
  1. chaseincats
    OP

Member chaseincats GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    as it says in the title I am moving to japan at the end of july and was wondering if the television friend channel/damae channel will work on my wii

any ideas?

-chaseincats

2. dn_angel000

Member dn_angel000 Phantom User

United States
    Probably not!! lol However when u move there change ur location on ur Wii then run a System Update there 2 c if u get Japanese updates over US updates u know?? lol I kinda wondered about this theory of mine 4 quite awhile!! lol

3. simonarturo

Newcomer simonarturo Advanced Member

Venezuela
    that won't work

You have to use AnyRegionChanger, but I would reccomend reading it up a bit before trying to mess with the app, as it could potentially brick your wii if you use it incorrectly.

I'm possitive that there were a couple of tuts about ARG, however, they were for getting a japanese wii to an american system menu, but i'm sure that the process is the same.

4. Wack0

Member Wack0 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Yes, use AnyRegion Changer, and a system menu patch or Gecko OS to play games from the other region.

5. cearp

Member cearp the ticket master

Tuvalu
    i changed my 4.1 pal wii to to a 4.1 ntsc-j wii, it was quite easy, i needed about 3 different programs, but it was before any region changer 4.1 came out, or something, which makes it so that you don't need to downgrade from 4.1 to 3.2 (i think that is right...)
    but yeah don't worry, you can do it, i did it without having bootmii in boot2, so yeah, it's all cool.
    and now my wii is 100% japanese, as far as i can tell, just the sticker at the bottom of the console would give the 'secret' away that it isn't japanese.
    it's not hard to use, don't worry!

i think you have to downgrade to the japanese wii version, at the bottom of any region changer, and then i think you are set...

and some channels workout on a different region wii, some don't..
    there is some wiki i think that has the compatibility.
    you can't just 'tell your wii you live in japan, and let it update', it doesn't work with that.
    on a jp wii, you can only set your region to jp.

good luck, post back if you need help

6. chaseincats
    OP

Member chaseincats GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    so basically id have to format my wii to do this/lose all my channels?

so even though theirs a "region free channels" hack in priiloader it still wouldnt work?