Gaming Japanese Texts Have Problems on My Wii while playing Gamecube games. Why?

knighTeen87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,

I bought Gamecube game of Captain Tsubasa game from Japan.

But when I play the game on my Wii, all Japanese texts and fonts are seen as weird symbols. Like you are missing a font file on my PC :)

Do you have any idea to solve this problem?

Thanx so much!

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Is your Wii a Japanese one or not? Some games are using GameCube firmware fonts, so you will need a Japanese one.
Is there really no way to get around this?

I think I read baten kaitos had some similar problem (jp gc version on wii or something like that)

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
lol - i try to google it because i remember reading something about it, but i find my own comment saying that i will try to find it, 8 years ago.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/strange-signs-instead-of-japanese-text.203896/#post-2721014

ha...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

op - maybe just region change your wii. it will certainly work. (i did it back in the day)
if there is a different fix, good luck finding it. i'm interested though.

knighTeen87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
After many hours of research (and anger explosions) I could finally find the complete solution!

The solution is simple: Nintendont

Follow the instructions here: https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont and play your Gamecube game form USB or real CD, it's up you. It works 100%. The all other methods are complete garbage compared to this one

I'm playing with using my authentic CD. And can even save on real memorycard (but it formats the memory card in NTSC-J format before saving)

Reactions: cearp

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello,

I bought Gamecube game of Captain Tsubasa game from Japan.

But when I play the game on my Wii, all Japanese texts and fonts are seen as weird symbols. Like you are missing a font file on my PC :)

Do you have any idea to solve this problem?

Thanx so much!
I read about someone having this problem on a GC. Supposedly the issue was that the text was encoded in Shift-JIS, but was being read as another character set due to the console not being Japanese. They solved it by using Swiss and changing a specific option. I don't know if you can use Swiss on a Wii, I assume it would work since it's a legit disc game. I remember there being a GC homebrew booter that can be launched from HBC, booting Swiss with that and then booting the disc from there should work I guess. You might need a cMIOS though.
Alternatively Gecko OS supposedly works with GC games. You could try forcing the region/language from there and maybe it will help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sicklyboy, Hey