Japanese super slim PS3... can i connect it to the german 220V Net?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Bonny, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Bonny
    OP

Member Bonny 34 years old and the leisure time of a kid

Germany
    Hi!

Just ordered a PlayStation3 New Slim Console - Shin Hokuto Musou Legend Edition (250GB Limited Model) from PA, cause the're selling them off for 245 Euros.

Can i connect this System to a german 220Volt net just via a simple plug-converter, or does i have to use an real voltage converter? I'am pretty sure the original AC-Adapter of the system is internal, so i guess building in an european AC-adaptor would also be an solution.

If i would need an voltage convertor, how much power (Watt) must he can provide? I only got one who can provide 100 Watt / 110V. This is not enough for even a super slim PS3, right?

Any help is really appreciated! :yayps3:

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Japan uses 100V at (predominantly) 50Hz - it's different than North American (120V) and European (220V) standards. The Super Slim requires aprox. 190 Watts for proper operation... so yes, you'll need a new power converter/transformer which will fit these specifications.

EDIT: I've been corrected. :P

3. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Foxi4 likes this.
  4. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Oh? Wow, I never knew that - it's a pretty neat feature. Then again, I suppose it was a must since internal so you can't exactly "change it" without opening the console.

5. Bonny
    OP

Germany
    Thanks for the Info.

I picked up that the fat PS3's from Japan could handle 220V, just like my PSP-2000's AC-Adaptor. If super slim PS3's only can take 110V, i really have to get a new voltage converter. 190 Watts you say? Well, thats much better than the early Xbox360 models who needed much more. As you sure know: The more Watts the voltage converter must provide, the more expensive it is. But implanting an european super slim AC-Adaptor into the japanese system would also be an option, right?

6. Bonny
    OP

Germany
    If Armadillo is right, that would save me a lot money - :P

7. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    You can take whatever Arstechnica says practically as fact. ;) I merely assumed that it'll need Japanese-style current since it's a Japanese system. :P

8. Bonny
    OP

Germany
    Glad to hear that. :yay: But i surely check the specifics on the console BEFORE i plug it into the european net with a simple plug converter :ph34r:. Cause, If only 110V is written on the console, it will be :shit: after i turned it on. :rofl2:

9. Bonny
    OP

Germany
  10. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    PS3devwiki and PS3devwiki

All models are international with 100-240V 50/60Hz input PSUs. You don't have to worry about it. Also the used power is 75W/190W ie. it uses 75W, but the PSU is capable of 190W if need be (IIRC, but the PS3 doesn't need that much :3).

To sum it up, you're good to go!

11. Bonny
    OP

Germany
    OK... even if nothing like "100V ~ 220V" is written on the console, i can surley just use an plug-converter (NOT an voltage converter!), and plug it into the european 220V net? It will surley not blow up? Well, i guess i have to gice it a try :unsure:

12. Bonny
    OP

Germany
    The second link says:

"Note: Starting since CECH-4000 series an external powersupply is used."

But my console has an internal power supply :wacko:

13. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    My PS3 SLIM CECH 2001-a says 120V AC (outside), and inside (the PSU) accepts 220V AC. The last time I used a stepdown converter (220->120V) it turned off randomly. So it's plugged directly to wall outlet (220v AC)

Anyway, a friend of mine bought a super slim and it's connected directly to 220V AC (because I just swap cables when I want to use my slim cech :creep: )