Japanese Snacks

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Icarus, Jan 20, 2008.

Jan 20, 2008

Japanese Snacks by Icarus at 3:55 AM (2,002 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. Icarus
    OP

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    So there's a Japanese Market really close to my house and I decided to take a look at what they have. They have lots and lots of different stuff, but unfortunately, I can't read anything =/ So, I'm asking fellow Japanese Tempers; what's a good Japanese snack type of food that I can buy from there?

Please write them down with their english spelling or even better, post a picture of them !!! So that I can show it to the employees and they'll hopefully help me.

2. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Well traditionally speaking various flavors of Pocky are great as is the ever simple fun you can have with rice paper. Pocky says pocky on the box, you can't get lost on that. The standard one is a cracker/cookie like stick dipped in a very nice chocolate, but there are other flavors including strawberry.

3. Icarus
    OP

United States
    I remember seeing that. It was right next to Pretz and other crackers like that.

4. kikuchiyo

Member kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

United States
    I actually junk fooded out last night with a friend as we watched Drop Dead Gorgeous and Mean Girls, and then I went to the grocery so junk food is fresh on my mind. [​IMG]

Pocky (and faux Pocky, like Fran) and salad Pretz are really good. I especially like Men's Pocky but lately I've been buying the generic white chocolate brand of pocky at Jusco.

Koala Machi cookies are good (I like the white chocolate ones best). They're pretty obvious as they're in pentagonal shaped boxes with koalas on it. Along the same line the chocolate acorns (I forgot the name, I haven't had them in a while) are really good too.

Sembei is good if you like it. I love Japanese potato chips - there's a kind from Hokkaido potato which is really good and then my favorite is the Calbee consome ?????????flavor.

5. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    Hmm... I'm really a chocolate person but I'm not that into Pocky.
    So I'll say Hello Panda and Kit-Kats. Even Kit-Kats aren't really "Japanese". Still like them though.

6. Seccom Masada

Member Seccom Masada GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    I hate, hate pocky but to each his own. Wasabi peas are awesome, though; they usually come in a green can like this, or in bags. Generally pretty obvious what they are.

7. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    While Pocky was mentioned, I have to add that you should try out strawberry Pocky.

If the shop isn't too expensive I'd just grab one of everything(everything that looks good) and try it for yourself.

8. asuri

Member asuri GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    some chips with the brand calbee

9. zeppo

Member zeppo change my avatar!

United States
    great idea.
    I LOVE doing this with japanese candy.

10. kikuchiyo

United States
    I forgot all about strawberry pocky. Mmm, now I want some, but I haven't seen in it a bit. I wonder if they don't sell it in the inaka, if I'm just not looking, or they don't sell it as much?

Anyway, I forgot about black black gum too. It's very strong mint gum - my ex left me 20 packages of it, way back in the day, and I ended up giving it to my American friends - one of them stopped breathing it was so strong [​IMG]

11. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Me too, they're far too bland for my liking. Edible, but nothing to write home about.

12. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Samurai Mix.

13. VBKirby

Member VBKirby GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    There were these Hello Kitty Hard Candies I've had a few times. They are really good. Like, really good.

14. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

15. kikuchiyo

United States
    I mentioned both the chocolate and the gum above but here are the packages for your reference.

[​IMG]
    This thread got me in the mood to buy sweets so I picked these up yesterday (plus I was buying candy for my first graders AND the cash register girl is cute so I've been finding any excuse to do groceries).

16. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    Get the tsubu strawberry Pocky. It's the one with bits and stuff. If I can find the 40% or 50% more strawberry bits kind of tsubu tsubu I usually get those.
    That or any of the Mousse Pocky.

Get some Melty Kiss too if you like chocolates, those are fucking awesome.
    Try different kinds of potato chips too just for fun. I buy Calbee seaweed, okonomiyaki or wasabi flavored chips.

If I do go to a Japanese grocery I usually end up buying some miso, mirin and a lot of Calpis Water lol

17. kikuchiyo

United States
    Agh, I forgot Black Black has caffeine! Good for staying up late, not good for someone trying to watch their health!

18. iffy525

Member iffy525 not famous

United States
    Haichuu is really good. Tons of flavors too.
    It looks like this: ハイチュウ
    EDIT: Also ramune (its like a soda) is really good and so is ramune candy (they're hard candy). In Japanese it looks like this: ラムネ or this: らむね

19. jtroye32

Member jtroye32 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    These babys right here:
    [​IMG]

20. Icarus
    OP

United States
    So I'mma go tomorrow there and buy most of the things I can find that you've mentioned here. Hope they won't cost too much =S Thanks for the advices. Keep em coming though !!