Japanese saves to English saves?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by supersilver327, Mar 12, 2010.

Mar 12, 2010
  1. supersilver327
    OP

Newcomer supersilver327 Newbie

United States
    Hey, I download the japanese version of Pokemon Heart Gold and now that it's in english, I want to play it , but with the save file that i had before. So i made a copy, renamed it, and selected to continue. But after I select continue, I get a black screen. Any ideas on what to do besides start a new game or just keep playing in Japanese?

@EDIT: BTW, I forgot to mention that it WAS patched and that I used a code, but only to get rid of the black screen on no$gba. Also, I'm using an R4i. Does this make any difference?

2. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Its not because it was from a Japanese ROM, but because it was a patched Japanese ROM. Most people confirmed the patched ROM's save file doesn't work on a clean Japanese ROM. If we see what is different about the patched one and the clean save we can maybe Hex edit it to work or something.

3. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    It's not possible because offsets change alot from different numbers of letters and such and even newer features in English versions (or features take out from the Japanese version). Plus you have to take into account that maybe the AP method changed, which also changed even more things.

You have to think of it as a list: 1, 2, 3
    You you insert an A into that list everything shifts and the output (the save) changes to this: 1, a, 2, 3

But, hell, I could be looking at it completely wrong. This is just my understanding of how things would work.

4. Dio666

Newcomer Dio666 Member

Australia
    hey i was wondering the same thing and i yes it does work.

i had the Jap game with the kazowar translation patch
    i have just changed the save over to my clean english rom and its working for me.

you just gotta make sure that the .Sav name is EXACTLY the same as the game name.

example. JP-HG.sav needs to match the US-HG.nds so you would change the name of JP-HG.sav to US-HG.sav

and its that simple.

EDIT: i just thought of why you might be getting black screen. the saves are able to be changed across fine but it might be the Anti-piracy that is giving you trouble.

5. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Then why does the KazoWAR save I made work with WataruKun's, XXLANCEXX's, and my translation patch, and also work on clean JP and US ROMs?

6. Inunah

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    I transferred my Japanese save to my English game.

All you have to do is boot the game a few times and it'll work.

It might cause your flash cart to stay in loading, too, but a few resets will fix that too.

7. supersilver327
    OP

Newcomer supersilver327 Newbie

United States
    It's not anti-piracy cause i tested the rom with no save on my r4 and it word 100%

8. Donald Serrot

Member Donald Serrot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I had... one of the English patches out there on my (J)HG file and my save worked fine in the english version. Heck! It even worked on the English SS too!

It may have to do with how your card saves data. Not 100% sure on that, I'm not that technically minded about these things but that's the first thought in my mind. I know my AceKard is set to save as .NDS.sav don't know if that has an effect on anything.

9. myclock

Member myclock GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    yep i was playing the same project and all you have to do is make sure both the file names are the exact same.

10. coolness

Banned coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Netherlands
    I use my SS save
    from patched PKM SS games
    no i`m using my save
    on SS clean English rom

11. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Well it doesn't work between (E) and (U) games

I've got a Animal Crossing (E) sav that I want to use on Animal Crossing (U) [Because I can't use cheats with (E) as game locks up) - & renaming just doesn't work
    I think the idea of 'added' code is more like it - I've looked at the saves in a hex editor & noticed a few differences