Japanese rom translation

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by 7llusion, Jan 10, 2007.

Jan 10, 2007

Japanese rom translation by 7llusion at 5:22 PM (1,086 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. 7llusion
    OP

Member 7llusion GBAtemp Regular

France
    So here's my problem, I have a Japanese rom(Pokemon Diamond) and would like to translate the main text(attacks+names+menus) into French(and maybe English but it will get released the 22nd April) as it is coming out in late 2007(autumn/winter).
    So I have dslazy and unpacked all the files and I'm left with the files that I'd like to translate(ex: msg.narc) but if I open them with a hex/text editor, no Japanese font at all shows up [​IMG] .
    Can anyone tell me what other way/program I should use to be able to do this? I know this is possible since FF3 was translated.
    Illusion

2. bollocks

Member bollocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Try opening them with a Japanese text editor, such as JWPce. If nothing shows up then, there's two possible scenarios - either the text isn't encoded in something standard like SJIS (in which case you'll have to make a table file, see some of the docs here) or it's compressed, in which case you'd probably need more experience than you've got.

3. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    Theres no way a newbie to hacking can crack Pokemon diamond/pearl's file format when more advanced rom hackers couldn't so i'd give up now as theres currently no known way to change text in either game