Japanese N2DSLL (BN/Unopened) • CFW install (flashcart b9s) + CTRtransfer prior to initial setup?

boyfriendcoma

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aloha!

For a quick background, I’ve installed CFW with my flashcart about 5+ times now (via hacks.guide), with happy success on various US devices, and I’m always happy to troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

My current goal is to perform a region change / CTRTransfer on my [excruciatingly adorable Animal Crossing edition] Japanese N2DS LL, and probably not anything more advanced than play a few of my backups. I’ve only ever taken it out to power on, and it’s never been through it’s initial setup, nor connected to the internet.

Having said all that, I’m looking forward to any input and advice from members here, especially anyone who might’ve been through this!

My initial thought / plan, but not without prior input, was to go through the usual install process with a handy magnet and my trusty flashcart, perform the CTRtransfer (as it doesn’t appear to require any steps in between) and [very hopefully] proceed with finalizing the setup in English!

I’d be so grateful for any and all advice / input about this, especially potential concerns or steps I should perform before/during/after. Please also LMK if I’ve left out any info!

Thanks so much, everyone!

Last edited by boyfriendcoma,
Reactions: assassinz

lilyuwuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The main concern with region changing relates to eShop access, which tends to break. It's not exactly known for sure if you can bypass this if you never connect to the Internet before the CTRTransfer (basically, what you've described). The current knowledge is that most Japanese units seem to come with some titles/updates associated with the device that cannot be removed by deleting the eShop account, meaning the only way to fully remove them is to perform a system transfer, after which region changing should work properly.

Beyond that, I don't see any specific issues with your plan. The Japanese eShop only has Japanese updates anyway, so it's not like you lose out on getting American updates for games.

boyfriendcoma

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main concern with region changing relates to eShop access, which tends to break. It's not exactly known for sure if you can bypass this if you never connect to the Internet before the CTRTransfer (basically, what you've described). The current knowledge is that most Japanese units seem to come with some titles/updates associated with the device that cannot be removed by deleting the eShop account, meaning the only way to fully remove them is to perform a system transfer, after which region changing should work properly.

Beyond that, I don't see any specific issues with your plan. The Japanese eShop only has Japanese updates anyway, so it's not like you lose out on getting American updates for games.
Thanks so much for your time and reply! I feel way more confident going into this, having heard from someone in the community. Bless!

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aloha!

For a quick background, I’ve installed CFW with my flashcart about 5+ times now (via hacks.guide), with happy success on various US devices, and I’m always happy to troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

My current goal is to perform a region change / CTRTransfer on my [excruciatingly adorable Animal Crossing edition] Japanese N2DS LL, and probably not anything more advanced than play a few of my backups. I’ve only ever taken it out to power on, and it’s never been through it’s initial setup, nor connected to the internet.

Having said all that, I’m looking forward to any input and advice from members here, especially anyone who might’ve been through this!

My initial thought / plan, but not without prior input, was to go through the usual install process with a handy magnet and my trusty flashcart, perform the CTRtransfer (as it doesn’t appear to require any steps in between) and [very hopefully] proceed with finalizing the setup in English!

I’d be so grateful for any and all advice / input about this, especially potential concerns or steps I should perform before/during/after. Please also LMK if I’ve left out any info!

Thanks so much, everyone!
Sounds like it should work. But let us know either way because I'm curious how this turns out.

Reactions: boyfriendcoma

boyfriendcoma

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello to both of you and thanks again! Pretty quick Q, hopefully, just curious if either of you would have any concerns or suggestions about whether or not, and when, to perform the software update, as I'm certain it's necessary, but not certain if it could have any consequences. Ok, thanks again, I'm out!

boyfriendcoma

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I added links to reference the steps required, I'm starting to think I need to save the region change until after I've performed the "finalizing setup" section. Fortunately I'm in zero hurry to get this done / started. ~(˘▾˘~)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: