Japanese Language Proficiency Test lvl 4?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Talaria, Sep 1, 2007.

Sep 1, 2007
  1. Talaria
    OP

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    I was thinking of taking this at the end of year as I thought it would be a good idea as I'm going to Japan next year. But i am slightly put off by only 51% of the people who participated in the test last year passed (level 4). So i was wondering if anyone here has taken it before?

2. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I'm sure if you study dilligently and review every night...you can be part of that 51%. You haven't tried yet - you got nothing to lose; just knowledge
    to gain.

Or you could just use BabelFish.

3. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    i made a topic once, not about JLPT but for general, you can find it in my sig.
    IMHO, the most difficult part of it is Kanjis, i started from different perspectives but each one of them can be read in different types and have different meanings and i'm so lost about it.

4. Kyuketsuki_M

Member Kyuketsuki_M GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    I've passed level 3 and now I'm studying for level 2.

Even if you think you'll fail, sit the exam and become wiser through the experience...if you don't try it now, you'll never get your studying off the ground.

I don't think I'll pass the 2nd grade this year, but I want to see my score and then go for it again next year.

5. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    would you please help about starting learning first 84 of Kanjis?
    what system/book u used?

6. kernelPANIC

Member kernelPANIC GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    In my honest opinion people should skip level 4 and just go for level 3 instead, because with level 4 you really don't know much about the Japanese language.
    This is the criteria for level 4:
    "The examinee has mastered the basic elements of grammar, knows around 100 Kanji and 800 words, and has the ability to engage in simple conversation and to read and write short, simple sentences. This level is normally reached after studying Japanese for around 150 hours and after completion of the first half of an elementary course."
    I've decided to skip level 4, study for another year and go for level 3. Then again, that's my choice. I'm sure many people prefer to take things step by step.
    This is the criteria for level 3, btw:
    The examinee has mastered grammar to a limited level, knows around 300 Kanji and 1,500 words, and has the ability to take part in everyday conversation and to read and write simple sentences. This level is normally reached after studying Japanese for around 300 hours and after completion of an elementary course.

7. iffy525

Member iffy525 not famous

United States
    so what level am i if ive been learning japanese for 9 years?
    its a schoo course so 9months everyday for about 4 hours

8. kikuchiyo

Member kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

United States
    4 is worthless. 3 is OK for beginners, but you pretty much need 1 to get a job here. That said, the JLPT is not much use unless you are trying to show that you know Japanese, either for a job or graduate school, unless you just want to study to see how it goes (the JLPT prep material makes good study guides).

iffy, it depends on what you know. I've known people who have studied for years and don't know more than 20 kanji.

I've used a few different textbooks, but for beginners I whole heartedly recommend Genki 1 & 2, published by the Japan Times, which I used at my university, Emory, and Kansai Gaidai the year I spent there. Going through those, with a native speaker, you can probably take 3 easily by the end of book 1, or the middle of book 2 at the latest. It has a really good section on kanji as well. By the end of the two books, you learn a lot of the most commonly used kanji.

For intermediate I used Kansai Gaidai's Level 4 conversation book and I don't know a good equivalent for it. For advanced, the Japan Times' From Intermediate to Advanced Japanese is a really awesome textbook, but you need a teacher to get much use out of it.