Japanese ISPs To Ban File Sharers

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by webyugioh, Mar 16, 2008.

Mar 16, 2008
  1. webyugioh
    OP

Member webyugioh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    Source

2. mb01

Member mb01 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    People will just start using Megaupload/Rapidshare type sites alot more then. They will never stop people downloading movies/music etc.

3. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    I don't understand.. what is being defined as a "file-sharer" here?

Only programs like eMule and BitTorrent? Or also websites like Megaupload?
    Anyway.. there's always another way to distribute piracy.. IRC is not a file sharing software, but people still use it to send files.. worst case you can send stuff through email! Only way to stop it is by completely cutting off the Internet [​IMG]

4. MystikEkoez

Member MystikEkoez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    With no one in Japan being able to share files, how am I gonna get my daily dose of Japanese content?!

5. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    They're trying to get rid of Winny and Share again! Bastards... D:

6. whatsa

Newcomer whatsa Advanced Member

Antarctica
    I'm seeing a business opportunity here, if this goes through. A new, 'free' (libre, not gratis) ISP independant of the major players could do well under these circumstances, if they were to provide reliable, high speed services. It would take a lot of capital though, perhaps, because one wouldn't be able to just hire a pipe from the big ISPs.

7. Saturnplanet5

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    This is terrible news worldwide. What it is saying is that movie, software and music companies (or anyone claiming to work for such companies) will have the right to scan your bandwidth and downloads without any fear of reprisal. I think ISP's will tell these companies to quietly fuck off and remind them that they (they the ISP's) are not enforcers of copyright law. I think the threat of financial loss that would be incourred by such activities will enough for the ISP's to say no to these companies.
    It will be a great blow to your rights and privacy. The amount of power that would be handed over to companies would be too great and there would be some form of retaliation by internet users on these companies.
    It's not as if nobodies going to movies. Just look at the ridiculous amount of money films make on release. In the billions.

The entertainment industry wants control of the internet obviously. Do your part to make it not happen.

8. kikuchiyo

Member kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

United States
    Winny isn't even that popular anymore.

There's a lot of subtext that's not in the story - Winny actually had a hole or a virus that spread through it that would share non-shared files - which lead to a lot of high profile cases of confidential information (from police computers for example), naked pictures, and in the case of one of my favorite web comics, Afuganisu-tan, comics, out into the wild.

Thus there is a huge push to get Winny out. The internet cafe I visit directly bans it. And we had a police officer come to our culture hall and deliver a lecture about Internet security, and Winny was one of the topics he talked about before I fell asleep.

Anyway, I primarily use Bittorrent here - as far as I have seen it hasn't gotten much attention in Japan yet. People seem to mostly use limewire and that kind of thing. And I download a lot of stuff via BT, and have never had a problem with my ISP (asahi net).

As for getting content - I feel like most of the stuff people in Western countries download comes from ex-pats/foreigners in Japan, not Japanese people (J-Pop Suki is my prime example). Since BT isn't big here outside of them, those wells won't dry up. And I sincerely doubt I will get any trouble from my ISP for my BT use (though if I suddenly stop posting here, I guess you'll know what happened).

9. gblock247

Member gblock247 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Eh the world is going to hell in a handbasket, we all just need to pitch in and move to PirateBay lol, and Kiku I love your sig btw [​IMG]

10. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Wouldn't encrypting that data shield them? Anyhow, as long as there is software to detect stuff like this, there is always a workaround or masking technology.

11. Dominator

Member Dominator the world end without you

France
    The main question Is does it affect the japanese rom sharing and ban rapidshare and file factory (and others) for French and UK users.... I don't understand' how its work in fact....

edit; I see winny, biut i don't use winny [​IMG]

12. Regiiko

Member Regiiko GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    RIAA: O snap, which country should we fuck over next, what with our $25,000/hour lawyers and shit? I know! Let's fuck over Japan, them fuckers got some fast internet so they download more faster than other people! Fuckin dangerous, these buggers! Hmm, now how shall we do this? I know, let's just offer the ISPs some sort of financial incentive, and if they don't take it, we'll just blackmail em anyway, seeing as that worked in Sweden or whatever that weird Scandinavian place was called.
    Japan: Oh fuck ...

13. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    If they touch BitTorrent, Usenet or FTP, I'm going to be pissed.
    They do that, and my fucking tagalong of a country is sure to follow.

14. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Noooooo... Who's gonna seed me at 700kb/s on torrent now? ):

15. Twiffles

Germany
    Anon will.

16. scubersteve

scubersteve Newbie

where will i get my OSTs?!?!?!
    [​IMG]

17. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    so is the RIAA planning to supplement money lost to ISPs for losing costumers?

ISPs signing on to this are stupid if they are willing to lose money in order for greedy organizations to make more money.

18. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    Two words for you :

Data Havens

19. Twiffles

Germany
    I can imagine "American ISPs to Ban File Sharers". >_>

20. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom