Hacking Japanese game error on DIOS MIOS

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
For all Japanese games (not USA/EUR games).
It can be problematic? The speed is not set the same way for all games on a japanese GC/Wii?
I can add a setting, but it will be bad for users if they use it while the game doesn't like it.

I added your name to the changelog, but I'll add it to the source too. :)

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It can be problematic? The speed is not set the same way for all games on a japanese GC/Wii?
I can add a setting, but it will be bad for users if they use it while the game doesn't like it.
Well the way I use is a bit hacky, megazig explained me it and the real software does it quite different, so I would not apply it always.

airline38

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Well the way I use is a bit hacky, megazig explained me it and the real software does it quite different, so I would not apply it always.

Yes, I have tested if I load any NTSC-J games with "NTSC-J patch" , system will
tell me my memory card (which I have NTSC/PAL/NTSC-J game saves) has to
be formated.

Not all NTSC-J games need this "NTSC-J" patch unless you would like to
have an independent memory card for all your NTSC-J games.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah like I was saying earlier... Most methods who enable playing NTSC-J games under US/PAL, or US/PAL games under NTSC-J, bypass region check. NOT switch language setting. The distinction is crucial understanding for this topic to make sense.
It's primarily a game-specific matter in practice. Many NTSC-J games run fine with US/PAL. Others have problems like corrupt text or inability to save.

Right. NTSC-J mode and US/PAL mode by design require using a different memory card. That part has nothing to do with either the console's or game's native region.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, I have tested if I load any NTSC-J games with "NTSC-J patch", system will tell me my memory card (which I have NTSC/PAL/NTSC-J game saves) has to be formated.

Not all NTSC-J games need this "NTSC-J" patch unless you would like to have an independent memory card for all your NTSC-J games.
I thought you couldn't have JP and Non JP saves on the same memory card.
Japanese games require the MC to be formated in Shift-Jis.
or does Japanese formated card allow non shift-jis games to be saved too?

Also, in USB loader GX, you can use a different memory card per game. (if using NMM)
So it will not corrupt the other games.

But if it's really bad to always patch japanese games to the different speed, then I'll make it an option.
especially for users with a real Memory Card storing multiple games, and not having backup of their card.

airline38

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan

Also, in USB loader GX, you can use a different memory card per game. (if using NMM)
So it will not corrupt the other games.

But if it's really bad to always patch japanese games to the different speed, then I'll make it an option.
especially for users with a real Memory Card storing multiple games, and not having backup of their card.

Yes, I can have NTSC-J/NTSC-U/PAL saves in the same memory card as long as I don't
enable NTSC-J patch.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Yes, I have tested if I load any NTSC-J games with "NTSC-J patch", system will tell me my memory card (which I have NTSC/PAL/NTSC-J game saves) has to be formated.

Not all NTSC-J games need this "NTSC-J" patch unless you would like to have an independent memory card for all your NTSC-J games.
I think the complicating factor is the different ways games check the memory card language setting ("format"). If you just skip the region check, many Japanese games will run and save on a card that's flagged for international use, with minor side-effects like mojibake text when viewing saves in the save manager. In practical terms, the saves work, but they won't work on a real Japanese console because they're the "wrong language". My pure guesswork explanation for this would be that the games check the console's current status (international) against the memcard (international), find a match, and save.

On the other hand, some games have a hardcoded check of the language flag on the memcard, and if they detect a non-Japanese card they'll throw an error and insist on reformatting the card (generally in Japanese, so if the reader can't understand it and just agrees ...). Since these games aren't checking for a match against the console, but specifically for the expected "Japanese" flag, they won't play nice with an international card.

Since you're patching all Japanese games now, when they check console status (Japanese) against the card (international), even games which did cohabitate before--which is probably most of them--will now error and ask to format the card. This means two cards will definitely be necessary, whereas without patching, it's possible (but risky) to play with just one. Also, if you have a Japanese card in, the console's save manager will error and ask to format the card back to international (you can, of course, say no). On the upside, the saves are being correctly formatted and will read and write properly on a real Japanese console instead of the awkward halfbreed saves being created before.

Personally, I prefer the current behaviour, since I have a third-party card with two separate banks selectable by button; I just switch the card to the second bank for my Japanese games, and never have to worry about anything getting formatted. That said, I think it'd be desirable as an option for people who only have one card and are prepared to risk losing all their stuff by playing the "wrong" game. On the whole though, from the save perspective, the current behaviour is much closer to how a real Japanese system behaves.

I'm not sure what the default should be, though. The current one greatly increases the formatting risk, since anyone who runs a Japanese game will format their card if they're not careful/can't read Japanese, whereas before the result was usually just a malformed (but working) save. It's impossible to idiot-proof though, since the risk of running a hardcoded-checking, save-formatting game is always there. I guess you could throw a (disable-able) warning whenever a Japanese GameCube title is launched if you really wanted, but it really depends on how much handholding you want to do.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for this point of view.
I didn't know there where some japanese games which could cohabit with westerns game saves. it might be really different check (console region and memory card format).

I think it's best to disable the patch by default to have a working save with wrong text, instead of facing an unfortunate formating by selecting yes without understanding Japanese message.

I like hand-holding in programs I develop, as a lot of users don't understand how things are working. Sometime users they don't even read/understand these help messages :/.
making guides and tutorials inside the program is even better but on USBGX we are lacking spaces, and it would require a lot of work for the translators, which themselves could not understand how to correctly help the users in their language.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
That's because Japanese games and Japanese console mode are two different things! You have to think of them seperately to reach the most informed decision possible.

Most Japanese games do not check the console region or memory card format, and will save anyway under US/PAL mode without trouble.
However memory cards cannot be shared in normal circumstances between Japanese console mode and US/PAL console mode. Even if you're playing US/PAL games. It was an intentional restriction.

Let's not overlook how potential users in Japan will be affected. People there may want to play US/PAL games using your software too.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"Intentional" in the sense that japanese filenames may use two bytes per character instead of one and it would cause corruption if they were mixed.

Something nobody seems to have mentioned, depending on the SDK used the japanese console region check may also include checking if a component cable is connected. Not sure why, was that the only cable type (D-Terminal) usable in that region (i.e. no composite) ?

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I doubt it. Don't know Japanese to look very deep, but it looks like they just include an ordinary AV cable.

My best guess for a strange check like that would be Nintendo might've considered the possibility of mandatory 480p games.

Taser9090

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to interrupt this interesting conversation (I'm not being sarcastic, it really is :P ), but the games are still not appearing in DIOS MIOS Booter.

I can't receive anymore help since my USB device broke down. :\ But thanks for the help, nevertheless!

Also, is there a FAQ anywhere for using a phone as a USB device for the Wii? Can't search for it anywhere :\

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If your phone's SD Card can be detected and used as FAT32 USB storage on your computer (without any driver), then it will be detected as USB HDD by the Wii too.

Taser9090

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My SD card can't be formatted correctly, but the phone itself has internal storage.

It's strange; the Wii can detect GC and Wii games, but it can only run Wii games. My phone is FAT32 with a 32KB cluster size, but it doesn't even reach the splash screen for DIOS MIOS. I suppose it's just not compatible with DIOS MIOS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1