Japanese earthquake/tsunami may NOT delay NGP

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    ORIGINAL STORY

In the immediate aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan in March, we learned of numerous game delays and even an outright cancellation in the case of Disaster Report 4. The effects of the diaster have, without question, had a much more profound and serious impact outside of the world of videogames. As far the industry goes, its most significant effect could come in the form of an NGP delay.

As a result of the earthquake's effects on the production process, only a single territory might end up seeing the Next Generation Portable before the end of 2011. Bloomberg reports that the earthquake has caused problems with production. SCEA President Jack Tretton explained the significance of the issues: "It may be the straw that says 'maybe we get to just one market by the end of the year.'"

Such a delay would result in at least one benefit: Extra time for developers to complete their launch games. But it's likely to make Sony's fight for success more difficult, according to Wedbush analyst Edward Woo.

"It raises the bar on the competitive issues that Sony is going to have to hurdle," Woo told Bloomberg. "As it is now, it's already going to be almost eight months behind Nintendo, and a delay could push that to a year and delivery when the iPad 3 may be coming out."

Following the reveal of the system in January, Sony suggested the NGP would be out by the end of 2011 without nailing down a specific date. The PSP and DS were both released in Japan in December 2004, with the DS beating the PSP to market in North America by four months. Tretton was unspecific about which one territory would get the NGP first if the decision is made to only launch in a single region. PlayStation platforms have traditionally been released in Japan first with the exception of the PSP Go.

Were the NGP delayed into 2012, that means the 3DS gets at least nine months of lead time in North America, not to mention all of the the iPod Touch devices that will sell in place of the NGP. Plus, the system would then miss the holiday shopping season, which is traditionally the biggest period of the year for videogame hardware sales. On the other hand, even if the NGP were released in October or November, potential supply problems unrelated to the earthquake could mitigate the sales boost granted by that time of year.
    [/p]

Source

Well, whatever it takes for Japan to recover, I can wait as long as needs be. I know I'll be buying one though, regardless of the time.

NEW STORY

Contrary to what has been implied by the president of Sony Computer Entertainment America, Sony claims that last month's earthquake in Japan has had no effect on plans for the NGP's launch.

Earlier this week, a Bloomberg story claimed the earthquake had impacted the production process of the NGP. And as a result, SCEA's Jack Tretton was quoted as explaining what that means: "It may be the straw that says 'maybe we get to just one market by the end of the year.'"

Sony is now distancing itself from that assessment, calling the Bloomberg report "wrong." Sony spokesperson Satoshi Fukuoka stated, "So far we see no impact from the quake on our launch plan." It will be keeping an eye on the situation in case that changes, but as of now, the situation doesn't appear to be as dire as it did following Tretton's quote.

It might very well be a case of Sony doing damage control, or Tretton may have indeed been mistaken. Prior to the earthquake, Sony had given a loose 'late 2011' release window for its new handheld.
    [/p]

Source

2. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    That's a very considerate surprising thing to say Guild, especially noting your feverish anticipation for the NGP.

3. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    I said this a few weeks ago... it seemed obvious at the time.

I'm really worried for the people of Japan. I know the people of science are doing all they can. And rescue workers have already lost their lives. All that's left is for God, if there is a God, to throw us a miracle and help save the world from the nuclear poison coming out of Japan.

4. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    You can be excited for the NGP, but the delay of it means that a nation gets to recover sooner, than by all means, delay the shit out of it.

5. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    What do you really mean by surprising? I may be a heartless bastard but I'm not that mean. It's not like I'm gonna say "FUCK JAPAN I WANT MY NGP." I'm actually a pretty patient guy too, you'd be surprised. I don't mind waiting hours for slow downloads or waiting for compatibility to be resolved on my flashcart, Wii, PSP, whatever.

6. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Well in my case it doesn't really matter. I'm an Otaku, so Japan's recovery always comes first. Besides, I won't be purchasing an NGP for a few years, anyway (for various reasons).

7. Maedhros

Member Maedhros GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
    This probably means they'll release it this year only on America or Europe.

8. Jugarina

Member Jugarina GBAtemp Fan

United States
    How come they are not dumping sand and concrete on all of those reactors and burying them and getting the hell out of there?

9. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Isn't all the production done at Foxconn in Shenzhen, China though? How does the tsunami directly impact the production of the NGP if it's not even produced in Japan? I understand how this disaster can cause a delay on the market, but I don't get how it's affecting the production of the NGP.
    Considering that Nintendo and Sony have both traditionally released their platforms domestically before hitting the international market, I highly doubt this. It's likely a 2011 release in Japan, and then a 2012 release on the international market if they do delay it.

10. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Don't see releasing it later being harmful, it'll give them more chance to have a killer line up and let people save up for it.

11. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    i think 2012 is good enough

*insert: but oh noes world will end in 2012 joke here*

12. lostdwarf

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    in other words, "we knew it wouldn't be ready by 2011, we just had to announce it as the 3DS was taking all the news and needed an excuse"

sony already stated that the 2011 release date was a date they "hope to aim for"
    and that it was "unlikely it would be out in more than one territory in 2011"

sony timed the NGP preview to coincide with Nintendo's big 3DS january event to dumb down excitement.
    now sony know they could not ever have a product they designed only a few months ago on sale the same year.

also sony stated that the device shown was "in development" and the features we were shown are not final spec and may have some cut once unit cost is considered.

Sorry but NGP is not going to be worth a penny. Why buy a half arsed game when you can get the full version on a console you already own?

ooh, a port! must be a sony game.

13. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    I'm sure Sony was planning for a giant fucking earthquake and tsunami to cripple an entire well developed country. You're being incredibly insensitive to think Sony is just using a gigantic natural disaster as "cover" for delaying their console, which still doens't even have a release date.

As for the "ooh, a port!", take a look at the 3DS line-up for once.

- SF64: A remake
    - OoT: A remake
    - SSFIV: A port
    - Devil Survivor: Overclocked: A remake
    - MGS3D: A remake

If ignorance is bliss, you must be one of the happiest people in the world.

14. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    It's pretty much has a 2011 NA release all over it, although there maybe a slight change Japan gets it first. If the NGP is region free it won't be a problem getting it in 2011.

15. Maedhros

Brazil
    Except when Sony released PSP they had no problem in saying that their first market would be Japan. With the NGP, they don't even say which one will be, so they ARE considering the options here.

And considering the rumors of Europe being the first to get the NGP... It's not that unbelievable, since Europe Sony's best market. (On PS3 at least)

16. duffmmann

Member duffmmann GBAtemp Addict

United States
    A delay wont be the end of the system by a long shot. Microsoft hit the ground running by releasing the 360 a full year before the Wii and PS3. Of course we all know how successful Nintendo has been with the Wii, and I think we've all notice Sony's bounce back from obscurity about halfway through the PS3's current lifespan. If I were a gambling man, i'd say the NGP could follow PS3's model. Slow to start, but eventually take off significantly. Having said that, I have no intention of ever buying an NGP, but i do get its appeal, but for me personally, the 3D feature easily wins over the features that the NGP has to offer. Plus, the NGP is huge, its like the original XBOX of handhelds.

17. Maedhros

Brazil
    The PSP is exactly what you said in Japan... just see the ammount of new games being released on it there... it's better, right now, to release a game on PSP than on the 3DS because of the costs.

18. lostdwarf

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom

You are a bit too much of a fanboy for my liking. Of course they have had an earthquake and tsunami and the powerplant problems but sony stated that none of its facillities were affected. PLUS NGP ISNT MADE IN JAPAN!!!!!! twat.

SSFIV:3D is not a port. It was built from the ground up by capcom. (checks recent ono interview... yep I'm right)

Metal gear 3D IS NOT A REMAKE OR A PORT! it is a brand new game!

the starfox and zelda titles are remastered remakes, but these will be very high quality, not your average careless and dissapointing PS3 port.

Devil survivor!! lol

Your stupidity is my humour.
    it must suck being you. (thats my troll sentence)

19. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Your fanboyism trolling started off by calling him fanboy.

People seem to think that electronics just magically appear pre-assembled. It's pretty obvious that Sony has been affected, maybe not necessarily the factories that deal directly with the NGP, but they have facilities that were very close to where the tsunami struck. Even if the plants that were affected weren't dealing with their gaming production, Sony would still have to move resources around to accommodate those plants that were affected therefore reducing resources to their gaming production line. Additionally, any electronics is made up of tons of different components. While it's possible that Sony may not have been affected directly by the tsunami, you have zero clue about how their suppliers are doing. They may need components from suppliers that are affected.

Metal Gear Solid 3DS is Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (originally for the PS2).... [​IMG]

20. nintendoom

Member nintendoom Nintendoom

Antarctica
    Lol at the last part! ahahaha! [​IMG]