ROM Hack Japanese Audio, English game/text?

DSMuse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! Thanks!

I'm not too sure if this is possible, I kind of doubt it, but I'd like to know if it's common for someone to hack roms this way (like a site known for doing this or something). Either taking the English game and putting the Japanese audio on, or taking the Japanese game and putting the English text?
(Obviously I'm not talking about just the typical fan-translations; I mean for a game that both the Japanese & English roms are out.)

The reason I'm asking is because, well, I haven't been too impressed with the English voice actors in a lot of games. But my Japanese isn't good enough for me to play a Japanese game and retain everything. (Lately I've been playing the English and then going back in the Japanese, but that's tedious.) Since I don't know how difficult it is to swap audio (I heard text swapping is very difficult?), I thought I'd ask if a project like this was even done much at all, if it's easy or hard to do.

Thanks again for any information you have!

DSMuse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gore said:
Very possible and often done.
It is called an "un-dub".

Thanks to google and your info (undub... so obvious haha), I found a patch for the game I want, though, so I can work it out.

(I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask for a site name or creator name that typically undubs games...? I mean it's an alteration not a direct rom so... If not, just ignore this!)

But thanks for the info!

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
it's simple.
open the japanese rom with nitroexplorer, locate and extract sound.sdat.
then open the english rom and replace the sound.sdat inside it with the one you got earlier.
now you have 1 english game with japanese voices, unless there's too much difference between the games in which case undubbing is near-impossible.

DSMuse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thedicemaster said:
it's simple.
open the japanese rom with nitroexplorer, locate and extract sound.sdat.
then open the english rom and replace the sound.sdat inside it with the one you got earlier.
now you have 1 english game with japanese voices, unless there's too much difference between the games in which case undubbing is near-impossible.

Thank you very much for this information!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Take magic pills from Psi, he offers them at Floridan prices lol.