Japanese 3DS sales to hit 4 million units

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by KingVamp, Dec 22, 2011.

Dec 22, 2011
  1. KingVamp
    OP

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    [​IMG]

:arrow:Source

2. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Good for them, though we all know it had a rough time early on with not a whole lot of software to select from. That has been remedied for the most part now.

1 person likes this.
  3. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    With some decent software, Message function and other stuff, yup.

4. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    wow, to put that in perceptive, PS3 has only sold 7.4M in Japan since launch, 3DS has done more than half of that within 8 months.

5. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    If you look at the global 3DS sales it's about 19% of the global PS3 sales within a 10 month period and about 15-16% of the total PSP sales.

1 person likes this.
  6. Erdnaxela

Member Erdnaxela GBAtemp Fan

France
    Well, the price cut and the nice number of software announced after the 3DS "failure" was worth it after all, good job Big N.

7. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    @syko: Those numbers confused me. xP

Anyways, it seems pretty good, 4 million in a year is quite a lot of income for them. =O

8. syko5150

United States
    What I meant was that the 3DS has sold 11 million so far global and the PS3 has sold 58 million so the 3DS has sold 19% of what the PS3 has so far. The PSP has sold 72 million which would mean the 3DS has sold between 15% and 16% of that total and there's still 2 months left before the first full year of sales. I really want the Vita to make it a close competition this time, but since the price drop Nintendo is on pace to go really far with the 3DS at this point.

9. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Oh, now I understand what you meant. xP

And well, if in one year it's already around 20% of the PS3 I guess it's selling really fast. =O
    It'll all depend on how Sony will market the Vita, they could come out well, or come out short in comparison.. Not that it really matters to me, seeing as they're already plenty rich. xP

10. syko5150

United States
    The price drop + solid software now are what are making the 3DS sell really fast. I honestly think if Sony wants to change things around they need to change their game plan with their advertising. I don't know how their advertisements are in your country, but here most of their commercials come off pretty arrogant like theirs are the only consoles that matters who cares about the others. On the other hand you see companies like Nintendo and Microsoft making commercials solely about the games and content they offer nothing trying to convince anyone that the other products are inferior.

11. heartgold

United Kingdom
    I don't know why you are bringing up global sales. This thread was about Japanese 3ds sales. Even so 2nd and the 3rd year is where consoles usually pick up steam. We'll see how the 3ds does in the up coming years. Its got off to a decent start, those really late heavy sales got it back on track.

12. syko5150

United States
    I wasn't trying to make your post sound bad or anything I was just stating that it's pretty impressive how far the 3DS has come in 10 months around the world compared to Sony's products that have been out 5 years(ps3) and 7 years(psp).

Edit: changed the years of ps3 from 6 to 5 and psp from 8 to 7

13. godreborn

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    sony probably assumed that the name playstation would insure success. I'm glad that wasn't the case otherwise the gaming industry would've died years ago with sony's equivalent of ET.

14. heartgold

United Kingdom
    It's a good start for the 3DS, the real question is can it maintain the momentum like the DS did and do monster sales.

PSP did ok for a first Sony handheld, I feel Vita well do slightly better than PSP.

15. syko5150

United States
    Well if Nintendo keeps their promise of a constant flow of solid 1st party titles and gaining 3rd party support I think it could eventually pass the DS in sales. With the upcoming titles like Paper Mario, Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, and Monster Hunter I think the 3DS is in good shape just from those titles alone. There are plenty of other good titles coming out besides those too. As far as the Vita goes I expect it to be better than the PSP especially from a software standpoint. While the PSP did have some pretty solid titles come out for it there was far too much mediocrity in between for me to be completely satisfied with it. I already have my Vita preordered and plan to buy a bunch of games at launch, but I'm worried that Sony might not keep their promise of great titles consistently past the first 2-3 years. I have a feeling that once they pass the first 2-3 years they will start releasing one or two really great titles a year instead of regularly.

16. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Because the Playstation and Playstation 2 weren't highly successful at all. And the PSP and PS3 never sold well, definitely not in the 70+ million and almost 40+ million (I think) marks respectively.

17. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    The PS3 probably would have sold better than the 360 had it not been for the whole "$599 US DOLLARS" thing. That pretty much screwed them over.

18. mr deez

Member mr deez GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Or alternatively, quite a big investment in the platform considering they would have lost money on a good chunk of those sold.

19. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    This. The PS3 didn't start selling well until after the price drop and even then it the sales were quite small...it wasn't until they had a few notable titles and various hardware revisions did they start selling well.

@Guild, the worldwide sales for the PS3 are around 60 million I believe and approx. 71 million for the PSP.

I feel like the 3DS will continue on with steady sales and will probably outsell the DS/Lite/i/iXL by the end of it's life, just like I think the Vita will outsell the PSP by the end of it's life.

20. KingVamp
    OP

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Source