Japanese 3DS at firmware 4.1 with EmuNAND 7.1 retail ACNL USA compatability?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by RayMafnas, Jan 11, 2014.

1. RayMafnas
    OP

RayMafnas Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2014
    Hey guys, im quite new and here is the deal. I have a japanese 3ds at firmware 4.1 at emunand 7.1 and I would like to play a retail USA ACNL on it will it work?. Will I be able to enjoy online features and such? Is there an eshop update 1st that I have to download so that I can play online? Am i screwed because the update that I need is the US one and since my 3ds is japanese I can only access the japanese one? I have read here somewhere that a modified launcher.dat can indeed remove the region lock on a 3DS and allow it play retail games with different regions. But as with pokemon you Will have to download the update. Need some help here please. Sorry for the long post.

2. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009
    You can play it; but to go online you need the USA update for the USA cart.

3. inuyasha555

inuyasha555 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Canada
  4. RayMafnas
    OP

RayMafnas Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2014
    Thanks dude. Darn it really wanted to play online.

5. Schizoanalysis

Jun 23, 2009
    You can play it with the region free patch with a 4.5 3DS.

But I wouldn't risk playing online on a 4.5 3DS.

6. CamulaHikari

CamulaHikari Kami Kurai

Jul 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Chocolate Factory~<3
    I don't know if it's the same for AC, but I had no trouble getting the Pokemon X update from the EU eshop while using an US card. Online was working fine as well. I think it's fine as long as the region your 3DS is on has also recieved the update on the eshop.

7. Schizoanalysis

Jun 23, 2009
    From what I know (having played the Japanese AC version), the Japanese version of AC required a ver. 1 update that the Euro and US versions do not have, so there may be inconsistencies in the updates.

8. frown

frown Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    actionol
    Online play might work. Can't say for sure though.
    kyogre123 tried a Taiwanese rom of Mario Kart 7 on his US console and the update patch applied (link to post), so perhaps it could.
    No harm in downloading the Japanese game updates from the eShop just to see anyhow.
    If you try it, let us know if it works or not. I haven't seen much posted about it.

Edit:

This does sound problematic, potentially. D:

9. RayMafnas
    OP

RayMafnas Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2014
    I will try Pokemon first then AC, then post here what happens, Pokemon is out of stock right now in local game stores here so maybe I will get one tommorrow. I am also considering buying the cart second hand? Though I am not sure if that is advisable? Will I encounter problems with the cart on emunand? Being it already used by another console beforehand?

10. frown

frown Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    actionol
    Buying the games secondhand would be fine.
    SDK 6.X+ games, including Pokemon X/Y, have a save compatibility issue between non-hacked 3DS saves and emunand saves, but this affects both new and used carts.
    What will happen on the first boot is that it will erase the existing save to create one compatible with the emunand. Emunand saves get erased when run on non-hacked 3DSes too.
    Animal Crossing is old enough that it is not affected by this.

RayMafnas likes this.
  11. RayMafnas
    OP

RayMafnas Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2014
    Thanks! I will really save alot buying them secondhand.