Japan last week: PSP sold 35,734 Units topping hardware chart!

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Guild McCommunist said:
And my point is that the PSP 1000 and 2000 and 3000 play the same games but the 1000 and 2000 are no longer in production and no longer counted on hardware charts. DS Lites and DSi's and DSi LL, on the other hand, all play the same games and are all in production. People buy multiple DS models but won't bother buying a new PSP model, mainly because nowadays PSP models are either the 3000 or the Go, so basically it's only the 3000.
I have to disagree... The only reason consumers talk about these numbers is, because they approximately point out how popular the gaming device is at the moment (which you can also notice when hardwaresales go up because of the launch of a very popular game).

So if a consumer made up the decision of buying a system he normally first decides to buy the system and then (if other models are available) decides on which models he wants to purchase simply because, and I agree with you on that, all models are capable of playing the same games... That`s why I think it shouldn`t matter which DS or PSP model is purchased, because the feeling of needing one of these systems leads to the purchase of one of those available models of the respective system and therefor reduce the number of the other model!

I know that I ignored those people with more then one DS or PSP model but those people are also in the numbers of the PSP3000 (and PSPgo if anybody actually cares for those numbers) as well as in all of the DS models so that shouldn`t be an excuse for high numbers for DSi or DSiXL, because if we presuppose that there are people who have a DSi and a DSiXL we can also do that with the PSP1000, 2000 and 3000 (even though 1000 and 2000 aren`t in production anymore but that doesn`t matter, since they still influence the numbers of the 3000 and go).

I still think PSP and DS models should be accumulated in comparison for obvious reasons. For me it is simply a false statement to say, that the PSP tops the hardware-sales. That`s imo a very relative statement...

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with the McCommunist. There's a world of difference between the direct comparison of all DS sales and all PSP sales....plus your statement "all models are capable of playing the same games" is incorrect as the Go has been hobbled by download only content.

The PSP 3000 shouldn't have to compete with multiple iterations of DS when that gives the DS a massive market spanning advantage.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
xist said:
I agree with the McCommunist. There's a world of difference between the direct comparison of all DS sales and all PSP sales....plus your statement "all models are capable of playing the same games" is incorrect as the Go has been hobbled by download only content.The Go still plays the same games! Just the way you purchase them and how you actually play them is different. As I said the main driver for feeling the need for purchasing the system is the software. Which model you prefer is secondary for people who purchase the respective system for the first time (people who upgrade are excluded in this thought but i already elaborated on those people who own(ed) more then one model). Really, the download only content shouldn`t be considered something that could actually drives sales like MGS or something similar to that could! If we want to have a discussion like that we need to wait a few more years, till there is something similar to a i-device, so that there is a real mattering difference (that actually drives sales
tongue.gif
). What I mean is, that when a game like MGS or DQ is launched for either PSP or DS people first think about getting the system because of the game and then think about which model to get like I said before. So the purchasing-decision was already made not depending on the models. The decision on which model you purchase is secondary, since it did not drive the purchase (this thought could for example not be ported to the iPhone, since that device has other main-drivers for purchasing the system beside gaming, which actually do matter in their purchasing-decision) ... So eventually the different models are competing with each other!

QUOTE(xist @ Aug 23 2010, 09:35 PM) The PSP 3000 shouldn't have to compete with multiple iterations of DS when that gives the DS a massive market spanning advantage.
How so? I would guess 80% of the people who purchase a DSiXL would have purchase a regular DSi, if the XL wouldn`t exist... So the DSes are competing with themself in that sense and therefor the accumulated sales of all DSes are crucial, like they are for all PSP models!

To summarize my thought: The question is who bought a PSP/DS (mainly because of the games)? And for DS the number is 57.582 and for PSP it is 36.342... IMO it does not matter in the slightest, which model they buy when we compare how well received (and that`s what we are doing here) these systems are!

Tear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Master Mo, try to play Crisis Core on the PSP Go.
You just can't!
This game is NOT on PSN, it is UMD only.
Then, how can the PSP Go play the same games that the PSP 3000 can?

Also, the DSi and DSi LL have the DSiWare, a service that the DS Lite does not have.

IMO, it makes perfectly sense that is listed in that way.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The Go has a much diminished library compared to the UMD based PSP's. If you want the PSP library (Kingdom Hearts, Crisis Core) you can't get a Go. The Go is primarily for....well pretty much nobody but Sony. The only reason you'd want to get the Go is purely down to the hardware as that's primarily why any consumer would want it, the form factor and internal memory.

As to the second point the intent of the XL was in part appeal to a broader market....older people who require a bigger screen or those with slight visual impairment, the DSi has camera's and DSiWare too. The DSLite lacks all these bonus features. Whilst the consumer for each does overlap it doesn't entirely match, therefore giving the two console combined a far wider grasp of the handheld market if tallied together instead of independently.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tear said:
You just can't!
This game is NOT on PSN, it is UMD only.
Then, how can the PSP Go play the same games that the PSP 3000 can?

Also, the DSi and DSi LL have the DSiWare, a service that the DS Lite does not have.

IMO, it makes perfectly sense that is listed in that way.

There's also the lack of big releases like Birth By Sleep on the PSN.

The PSP doesn't get DSiWare but nothing else does, it's like the XBLA or WiiWare or PSN Store. The PSP does get Minis, PSN Store games (like Pixeljunk Monsters or whatever it's called), and PSOne Classics though.

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
nice 35k units sold only in 1week xD

maybe its influenced by keima to buy PFP ... (that japanese though that PFP is PSP)

laugh.gif

Cermage said:
in before psp hate.

good to see sony are doing well in japan. Go was a failure and i'm pretty sure everyone can see that, its probably the umd-less factor that its doing so bad.

i think japanese want's more UMD based release games.. (for collection purposes?) bleh.. otaku-ism..

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Tear said:
Also, the DSi and DSi LL have the DSiWare, a service that the DS Lite does not have.OK, I didn`t know that since the PSPgo was never an option for me so I never really cared for it but over all this only supports my statement, that the main reason for people to buy a system are retail games! What that means and how download only content is influencing sales I`ve already elaborated on previously... Since I still don`t think that there are people who own two PSPs, simply because there is not such a huge difference that anybody would want to actually have both model (upgraders left aside for obvious reasons), these two devices still divide nearly the same user base (since they`re competing with each other in their own space for the PSP-user-base as a whole) and therefor also share the same user base... But imo it is still one PSP-user-base!

xist said:
...As to the second point the intent of the XL was in part appeal to a broader market....older people who require a bigger screen or those with slight visual impairment, the DSi has camera's and DSiWare too. The DSLite lacks all these bonus features. Whilst the consumer for each does overlap it doesn't entirely match, therefore giving the two console combined a far wider grasp of the handheld market if tallied together instead of independently.I agree with you on that but I think Nintendo already widened the market through their software and advertisement way before the DSiXL was launched in a way bigger way. And do you really want to tell me that approx. 27.000 "old people" bought a DSiXL... Like I said I would guess that at least 80% of these 27.000 would have bought another model if the XL wasn`t available at that time with the same games!

Also are the numbers for the DS Lite comparable with the numbers of the PSP 2000... The DS Lite also had a much wider audience (with kids, mothers, etc. targeted as well) and if I get you right therefor had an advantage and because of that couldn`t be compared to the sales of the PSP 2000... But there was always a comparison on those. Where I come from that`s what people call advertisement-advantage and I think that`s not valid argument in this discussion, since it is a legitimate advantage!

Here a quotation on my final thought on this and I still don`t think that it is false. But over all I have to agree, that the PSP is doing pretty good but I still think it is just false to say, that it did best because of imo obvious reasons:
QUOTE(Master Mo @ Aug 24 2010, 12:26 AM)
To summarize my thought: The question is who bought a PSP/DS (mainly because of the games)? And for DS the number is 57.582 and for PSP it is 36.342... IMO it does not matter in the slightest, which model they buy when we compare how well received (and that`s what we are doing here) these systems are!

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DiscostewSM said:
If the "PSP" title only refers to the 3000 model, then why not make a note of that? Or, why isn't the DS Lite just titled "DS" in the same manner?

read. 1000 and 2000 are discontinued models. the ds has different listings as they're aimed at different markets/capable of different things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Exhausted but happy lol