Japan is slated to get a port of the original Monster Rancher game on mobile and Nintendo Switch

lxEeOWo.png

Monster Rancher, or otherwise known in Japan as Monster Farm, is a simulation/RPG game from 1997, which had players breeding and raising a variety of monsters in order to enter them into fighting contests and win. The game managed to reach cult classic status on the PlayStation 1, and became popular enough to be followed by ten other entries and spinoffs. Over 22 years after the original game released, Koei Tecmo has announced that they will be porting Monster Rancher 1 to mobile devices and the Nintendo Switch later this year. According to Famitsu, this won't just be a straight port, and will feature a few new updates. The game will be releasing later this year in Japan, with no current localization announced at the time of writing.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

Is that franchise anywhere near popular enough to be brought back? I remember seeing about 3 episodes on tv as a kid, and that was it.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
What was great about the first game is that you had to put CDs in your Playstation to unlock monsters.
So you would end up hunting every CD you could get your hands on to try to unlock some rare monsters and you would read guides (internet wasn't like today pre 2000 lol) were ppl would share which CDs they have discovered certain monsters from.
To me this was a big part of the fun and i don't see how they could do it today.
The DS game had a letter system (you typed it and unlocked more letter plates to make longer words) which was fine but its not the same . . .
The TV show was pretty decent too.

Last edited by SS4,
D

Deleted User

What was great about the first game is that you had to put CDs in your Playstation to unlock monsters.
So you would end up hunting every CD you could get your hands on to try to unlock some rare monsters and you would read guides (internet wasn't like today pre 2000 lol) were ppl would share which CDs they have discovered certain monsters from.
To me this was a big part of the fun and i don't see how they could do it today.
The DS game had a letter system (you typed it and unlocked more letter plates to make longer words) which was fine but its not the same . . .
That's actually a really damn cool mechanic, reminds me of those bar code battle scanners.

But how is it gonna work when these systems don't have access to cd's? MP3 reading would be my first guess, but incredibly unlikely.

Reactions: Deleted User

Kazalber

Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
If only it was like the cartoon...sigh
Never played it on PS1 so I'll give it a shot on Switch... Hopefully they'll bring it to the west

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why not make a new game instead?
So much possibilities, but nah, let's port instead an ass old ps1 game that the main gimmick was scanning cds to get monsters, I'm sure I can fit those on my phone or switch.
Eh, whatevs I guess. But like raxadian said, second game was the better one.
Also, og monster rancher 1-2 Hare is the best design. From 3 and on, they killed my cool looking badass kung fu rabbit
to make him a cutesy fuck.
If Tecmo or whoever really makes a new game, bring back the original design.
For Golem too. And some other monsters.

D

Deleted User

Aside from the couple dozen or so Monsters that were only unlockable from very specific CD/DVDs was it ever confirmed what variables (Genre, Publication Date, Serial Number, Etc) are used to determine the type of monsters you would get from any given CD? There are just too many possible variables, there is no way they could have accounted for them all back then, unless the variables mean nothing and the monsters you get are randomly pulled from a drop table of sorts based on a certain criteria and the stats, level or whatever else (have not played the game yet but obviously am familiar with it) is determined by another set of data.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs