Japan gets Resident Evil VII Cloud Version for the Nintendo Switch

Resident Evil VII is getting a Nintendo Switch version, just not in the traditional sense. Titled "Resident Evil VII Cloud", players will be able to download a 45MB launcher onto their Switch, which will stream the entire game through the cloud. You'll need a constant stable internet connection to access it, and as of the initial announcement, it's only going to be available in Japan. All of Resident Evil VII and its DLC content is playable, and there's even a 15 minute free demo of the game for those curious to try it out. After that, it'll cost 2,000 Yen to rent the title for 180 days. Resident Evil VII Cloud will be available on the Japanese Switch eShop on May 24.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I thought this was a cross-over between Resident Evil and Final Fantasy VII. Oh well.
Not what I expected. This is definitely not going to appeal to the masses especially with the "constable stable internet connection."
Maybe it's an experiment or something, but I'd rather play a full game offline on-the-go with the Switch.
How else can we play it with TX SX? :rofl2:

Reactions: kai_dranzer2003

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My crystal ball says:

2020 will be the year Ninty and M$ make an effort to give each other games. Minecraft is the ground work, RE7 is the grass, and eventually they will build a world to tower and overshadow PS.

They (Ninty) want to break our traditions by releasing smartphone games, then they can slowly pull us into their "Burn the black sails of piracy"-campaign with "always online", which, as you remember, was a major talking point when M$ wanted to introduce it. Don't think they scrapped the idea, much like prototype of this:

(I can't find the AR specifically, but it (questioned device) had a room filled with images, all linked to Xbox)

Long prediction short: this is the future.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Not that Resident Evil/Biohazard is a 'rhythm' game by any means which requires precise input and near-zero latency but this IS an FPS game.
Regardless of how good your connection is (and if this actually comes out outside of Japan) you're still gonna have input lag and latency (big no no with FPS games), especially on a device that's far behind today's generation of consoles, something that might put the player in an unfair situation since the game has many things that can kill you in literally one hit if you're just 1 ms off.

Streaming for a singleplayer game welp gamings dead it was a fun 20 years though so and as long as emus exist il be fine

Streaming should be perfected and optimized, like Netflix is.
The kind of game you're playing has no business here if streaming is still a cumbersome concept to fully accomplish.

Last edited by Yepi69,
D

Deleted User

Capcom´s possible answer to the immident release of switch backup player!? They have to do something to hindrance piracy. It´s their business after all.

Last edited by ,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey guys, remember when Sony rolled out PSNow on the PSVita to let players play console-grade games on a low-power device and everyone made fun of it? Now it's the best thing since sliced bread for the Switch which is "totally not inadequate" compared to its competition. I swear, I live on pod planet.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear, I live on pod planet.

images

I prefer constantly existing everywhere--it's tiring, but it has its benefits.

Seriously, they tease things to get a feel of how things will be received, then they find a way to launch that same idea, but better...it's like beta testing for assholes.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read right over the timed play time. This is one game, not a whole streaming service. It is not even a MMO. If they do this with other games, within 2-3 cloud games, you are already in actual streaming service territory. Also, I wonder if you can play it, without paying for Nintendo's online.

I also wonder if this is the nail in the coffin in terms of rainway ever getting an official release on the switch
I don't think this would lessen or up the chances of it.

would be good if they made a dumbed down version that can turn to the cloud version when online would be a ok compromise

This would be great for an online multiplayer game like Monster Hunter but for a single player game? No thanks. I's rather just get it on PC and stream it to my tablet when I want to play on the go. At least that way, there's no 6 month limit :P
Yeah. I agree that as an option, it is nice, but I hope gaming never becomes a online or cloud only thing.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Not too hype about this. Remote play is always kinda shit. Even on LAN there is noticeable delay, shooters are essentially unplayable (as if aiming with a stick isn't bad enough to begin with)

But damn that trailer is spectacular. RE7 always makes me happy, still surprised how Capcom actually managed to get away from the RE4-6 bullshit.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, remember when Sony rolled out PSNow on the PSVita to let players play console-grade games on a low-power device and everyone made fun of it? Now it's the best thing since sliced bread for the Switch which is "totally not inadequate" compared to its competition. I swear, I live on pod planet.
Like how some people here are still saying this is bad idea?

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The future is gaming stream devices. Hardware you can sell on the cheap and have PC like quality graphics. These will sell like hotcakes.
Internet technology will improve and get faster making connection speed a non issue. Its a matter of time for technology to improve to make this useable.
Then there will be a split between people that like physical copies and people that prefer streaming.
What a sad future

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Some versus all. This should universally be considered a bad idea and belongs on platforms that truly can't support anything besides streaming, like mobile phones.
Where are you seeing ANYONE being positive about this? Did you even read the posts on the first page? Everyone is saying it's shit

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, this might be interesting for having ps4/xbox/ steam games playable on switch. Just hope it actually works cause if it doesn't work well, then is not gonna be popular. :)
it will probably be available only for some PC games, but both the ps4 and the switch got really active hacking scenes, so there's a chance it could be done through homebrew.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some versus all. This should universally be considered a bad idea and belongs on platforms that truly can't support anything besides streaming, like mobile phones.
I thought "all" was just an exaggeration. Besides, people can change their minds over time.

Anyway, as long as it is an option and not a replacement for games, I don't see why it is a problem.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I thought "all" was just an exaggeration. Besides, people can change their minds over time.

Anyway, as long as it is an option and not a replacement for games, I don't see why it is a problem.
I was actually pretty excited about the idea on Vita. PS3 on a handheld was cool at the time.

Last edited by SG854,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol