Japan finds more types of radiation-tainted food

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hop2089, Mar 20, 2011.

Mar 20, 2011
  1. Hop2089
    OP

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Oh dear god, the food supply contamination is far worse than expected and people have already eaten the products by now. Expect to hear cancer and other tragic health reports over a 20-60 year period providing you are younger than 40 which most of us are.

Source

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_re_as/as_...uake_food_fears

2. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    Well we live surrounded by Pacific Ocean here in Chile, sadly just sea straight from Japan.

So I think all beachs now should have some sort of radiation level.

This is not good..

3. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Are your beaches in the sun?
    If so, they have some radiation level PANIC!!!!!

4. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    *sigh* This stuff is getting worse and worse

5. tehnoobshow

Member tehnoobshow GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Well this really sucks for Japan..........
    *sigh* it really is worsening at an increasingly fast rate.

6. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Except that things are stabilizing...
    Contamination is to be expected when you have 3 heavily damaged reactors like they do. The thing is, they're not saying HOW much radiation is in the food. Japan isn't starving (yet), so this could just be a precautionary measure: reduce the amount of radiation people are exposed to in any way to mitigate any damage as quickly as possible.

7. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    Yes but when you EAT radiated food or take a good bath in poisoned radiation waters. I´m sure you´ll even forget your "rudeness"-

This isn´t something to take so lightly, i´m afraid.

And, is to be expected anyway. When you mix a tsunami + leaked radioactive reactors flooding one of the world´s main currents, it´s sort of "OMYGODDITZBAZbaD".

edit: without counting the toxic clouds that have been spread some days ago.

8. rad140

Member rad140 GBAtemp's "over quoter"

Canada
    Hold your horses.
    Know where plants grow? Outdoors. In the sun. In the dirt. Which makes them one of the most susceptible foods we eat to contamination. For example, in the US (which is currently not suffering from a nuclear crisis), there are cases of contamination, E.coli and such in vegetables every year or so.
    I'm frankly surprised that this didn't happen early, give what's going on.

It also says "may have been sold". That doesn't mean it's been sold or eaten at all. I'm sure groceries will be on the lookout and removing any possibly affected products from shelves for their own good (and their customers). If people in Japan are paying anywhere near the attention to the news that we seem to be, I'm sure they will read this too and take appropriate action.

"Expect to hear cancer and other tragic health reports over a 20-60 year period"? Overblown much? And how do you know that will happen? Are you a toxicologist?

Remember what they taught you in high school: Be critical of what you read and don't jump to conclusions.

9. Eckin

Member Eckin GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I know a lot of things posted here are sensationalistic in nature but

the growth of each individual can be affected by many factors, including the stress a mother lives during the pregnancy (like a magnitude 9 earthquake or tsunamis), and what happens in the environment around her (like radiation problems) can be a factor too. Childs below the age of 5 are also very sensitive about those same things. A growth problem in this generation could lead to future problems in the next couple of generations.

It's the same reason why japanese people right after the war were small when compared to americans, but the japanese of today are about the same size.

I wouldn't say "tragic health reports" over that timeframe but I'd expect at least growth problems in that same timeframe.

10. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    I just keep hoping for the best.

11. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This whole nuclear scare is going way out of control - I believe its not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Nonetheless, I hope the best for the people of Japan's safety and hope they find solace in something.

12. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    i think to those who aren't or haven't been affected my nuclear radiation , this is a huge scare towards us .
    but to those in Japan , they seem really calm and can keep things under control .

13. alphenor

Newcomer alphenor Advanced Member

don't panic..the radation can't even reach our country.

14. Hop2089
    OP

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Seem, yes, but in fact a lot of people have evacuated south from Tokyo due to the distrust of the power companies. For those panicking and live outside of Japan, there is nothing to worry about so don't buy any potassium iodine.

15. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    well obviously you'd move away from the nuclear sites .
    the farther you are , the better , and less affection from radiation .

16. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Just to add something here before people start shouting that the whole affair is out of control and that everyone will get cancer.. Without much say in how the situation is in reality since I'm not in Japan at the moment, I'd like to point out something about radiation levels: The levels of radiation considered "toxic" vary a lot in different countries. For example in the Nordic countries (Yes the north of EU: Sweden, Finland, Norway, etc), the basic radiation level of tap water is higher than the level measured in Tokyo and the safety limits are also higher than the ones in Japan (300 vs 100). What the Japanese gov considers Toxic is quite normal in another place. Still people don't die because of cancer at a higher level than everyone else in for example Finland.

Funny thing that people tend to forget that there is a constant radiation level all around the world, because all radioactive material is actually in the ground, not some faraway place from where it magically ends up into the nuclear power plants. I doubt there is any hiding of evidence in the area, but information might not be available at lightning fast speed to TEPCO either.

-Qtis

ps. Also, coal mining kills thousands of people every year. Put that into perspective when looking at different power options. Nothing is 100% safe if you look at the whole picture [​IMG]

17. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    canned food anyone ?

18. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    Japan has their own system. don't you think they didn't have a backup plan for this?

19. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Nuclear disgusting me. Japan is stupid to hurt people and damage the food. Nuclear is not the answer. MONEY IS THE ANSWER! STUPID JAPAN!

20. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    Make a virus that eat radioactive rays. Problem solved.! [​IMG]