Japan: DS ahead of PSP for 2010 total sales

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by CrimzonEyed, Jul 31, 2010.

Jul 31, 2010
  1. CrimzonEyed
    OP

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/japa...010-total-sales

2. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    Cool it's always good to see that DS is beating Sony's portable, Sony needs to take notes. But I still love you Sony! lol

3. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Nice to see sony kicking back in with the PS3 after the dreadful Go sales.

PSP has always been so, dunno where really Sony is going to go with it to be honest; what's next ? use your PSP as 'move' hardware .... [​IMG]

need less to say, proud owner and enjoy using both the PSP and DS.

4. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    [beingadick]I thought this section was for news, to my knowledge the DS has always beaten the PSP in sales.[/beingadick]

I'm surprised there's still that many PS2 units being sold though, I thought they took those out of the shops AGES ago.

5. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    So, which revision of the PSP won this week? I ask because they are willing to separate every single version of the DS, yet they enclose all version of the PSP (up to 3000) into a single entry. The DSi LL and DSi have a lot less difference than the changes from the PSP-2000 to the PSP-3000.

6. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Wait. 831 PSP Go's... TOTAL? Wow, that's just terrible.

7. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    they discontinued the PSP 1000 and PSP 2000

8. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    While it is nice to see the PSP doing reasonably well (primarily because I recently purchased one, so I want to see it make some sort of recovery) it feels 'too little too late' if you ask me. Stuff like Kindgom Hearts and the like will give a temporary boost in sales but when that dies down the DS maintains its pace while the PSP goes through another lull until the next big release several months later. What the PSP needs is a serious support injection to keep the decent releases flowing long enough for it to make a serious stand. And a few more triple A titles certainly wouldn't hurt. Where's the Uncharted PSP game, for example? A new Final Fantasy certainly wouldn't hurt, not just a remake. Make use of the facilities the DS cannot match by releasing some killer games with phenominal graphics and maybe the PSP can be a contender again.

9. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    How is this not news?

10. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    Which part of "being a dick" do you not understand? He was joking, mate.

And wow... With DSL, DSi and DSi LL combined, DS still has a grand total sale of 47K... Not bad at all! I thought it would have dropped a lot since there's news of the 3DS coming out soon, but I guess there's still momentum for the DS.

11. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Haha, oh wow, that's a fail...[​IMG]

12. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    I'm sorry, but that PSP Go figure is just hilarious. [​IMG]

13. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    I don't know how Sony is going to continue in the handheld market. All I can think of is better graphics, dual analog, and fixing all the PSP's glaring flaws. After that... What? If the PSP2 has that, (which, knowing sony, it won't) what's left for the PSP3? Nothing, unless they want to blatantly rip off Ninty.

14. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    You obviously can't read facts then. The PSP sold reasonably well. Yeah, it never beat Nintendo, but Nintendo has been in handhelds since day one and won every single time. I don't think anyone thought the PSP was gonna upturn Nintendo. Sony just wanted a product that would sell. Software sales are a different thing but the PSP as a system still sold well.

And if by "blatantly ripping off Ninty" you mean adding something like a touchscreen (Sony said they're sticking with 3D on home consoles this and the coming gen, not on handhelds), then that's hardly ripping off. Almost every popular modern electronic has a touchscreen.

People also think the market needs constantly radical changes instead of just a good ol' update. It's a stupid trend these days. Before we got all this touchscreen and motion controls crap, systems were essentially just upgrades of their predecessor. Better graphics, new games, etc. Nothing drastic. And those consoles were great too. I don't see what's wrong with just making a new console that's just an upgrade of the older one. If they made a PSP2 with better graphics and a different layout that'd be just fine by me.

15. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Reasonably well compared to what? The only yardstick you have the measure it against is it's competitors (or in this case more like competitor) in the handheld market and what percentage of those potential customers Sony managed to sell a PSP to. Which makes it look like something that didn't sell reasonably well at all.

It's all very well saying "Oh, it's handhelds, Nintendo are invincible, Sony only expected a tiny slice of the pie", but in the early period of this handheld generation many, if not most, people, probably Sony included, seemed to think the PSP was going to be the main player this time round with Nintendo only occupying a niche market.

I'd say based on initial expectations Sony would have absolutely horrified to see the overall figures and wouldn't consider them "reasonable" at all.

16. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Lol the DS will always be ahead of the PSP. I think those Japanese own around 2 apiece now dont they? lol [​IMG]

17. Theraima

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    DS & Wii seem to hold their places, didnt think that Wii did this well tho.. And this should be some kind of drawback for Sony [​IMG]