Jap Wii + WiiKey => AnyRegionChanger - 4.1U = Retail wont work

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by MikeyMike, Jan 18, 2010.

1. MikeyMike
    OP

Newcomer MikeyMike Newbie

Canada
    So yeah, as the title states..
    I got a Japanese wii, one of the first, with a mod chip in it. I can only assume that this modchip is a wiikey, or something like that since it's one of the first wiis and there wasn't much options back then.
    I've been asked to change the system menu to an English one. So I used AnyRegionChanger, the offline version, to change it to 4.1U.
    When the dude got his wii back, he tells me that the original games do not work (he's not interested in running back ups).
    When I mean original, I mean original English games.
    So yeah, I can run homebrew on it, it's at 4.1U. What would be my best option to do with the system if he only wishes to run RETAIL games? NTSC in Canada.
    I will have it in an hour, hoping to have a solution by then.
    Thanks for any input!

ALTERNATIVELY,
    If I just update to 4.2U, from nintendo, would that solve my problem? Or would I get a brick, considering I'm running japanese hardware?

EDIT: Erm, this tells me that updating would be a bad idea.. Still thinking what to do.

EDIT 2:
    Okay, the person actually wants to play everything, meaning back ups and originals, NTSC format.
    So I've begun the softmodding process, but now my homebrew channel loads everything into a black screen... Can't do much now.
    Any suggestions?