Jap Wii owner with questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Wangus8, Nov 8, 2007.

Nov 8, 2007

Jap Wii owner with questions by Wangus8 at 3:14 AM (1,834 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Wangus8
    OP

Newcomer Wangus8 Member

United States
    Hey everyone, I'm new here and I've been searching for some answers all night.

Firstly, I have a japanese wii given to me as a gift. It was bought in china and it was already modded so I have no idea how or what chip was used (which annoys me to no end). An unfortunate incident involving a large house party, some guy's NTSC-U mario strikers charged and my slight inebriation caused me to not warn people to not put in their own games. Luckily, Strikers Charged only semi-bricked the wii (no settings working). Now, here's where the questions begin.

The reported success in unbricking the jap wii involves an updated (1.9g if I recall) wiikey. If I don't know what/how the wii was modded how can I figure this out/work around it. Should I still attempt an unbricking with SMG jap? Is it not worth the risk?

Second: if i still go with it, I've seen that there is that doubling of the wii channels. Is there currently a way to remove the doubles?

Third: and this is an embarrassing one. I've been trying to find this one out ever since I got my wii but haven't gotten a clear answer. I live in the united states, and let's assume I successfully unbrick my wii. If I connect my jap wii to the internet, will it only try and get japanese firmware updates (which I know are good for me) or will it try and give me NTSC-U updates (which are bad for me obviously). Am I safe to connect to the USA internet (the bad scary USA internet) with me jap wii. I image not many people can answer this because not too many have jap wii's in the states.

Also ... since I'm blathering everything else out. Does anyone have the jap wii menu's translated into English? Nope, I don't understand japanese. Sigh.

Thanks for any and all help you can give me.

2. mwaddoups

Newcomer mwaddoups Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Well I can answer your third question - I'm in the UK with a JAP wii, and it connects and downloads JAP updates fine. I also believe to unbrick it you would need to buy/import the ORIGINAL super mario galaxy JAP and use that, unless you are lucky enough to have a chip in there that can be updated. It could well be a wiikey clone so there's no harm trying the update - if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. There is no way to remove the doubles, though I think you can stop them from happening if you unplug the console when it updates to 10-15% from the SMG disc, though I don't know much about this - just move the duplicate channels to a different window and you don't even notice them.

3. ledav007

Newcomer ledav007 Member

United States
  4. Wangus8
    OP

Newcomer Wangus8 Member

United States
    Thanks both of you, that's really helpful.

If I don't want the dupe channels I have to do the metroid trick, but if I want to unbrick my wii I need to let the update run through completely. Am I right that this is this basically what it boils down to?