qwertybanana

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi gbatemp.

I have a problem with my dsi. A while ago I went to hang out with my friend and I brought my Dsi along. I let my friend have a go on it and he pressed the L button quite hard until later when he returned it, the L button was "stuck" or "jammed". Its a bit difficult to explain so heres an example whenever I play a well known game known as Pokemon:

Example:
You know how whenever you are looking at the boxes in the PC? and you can either press L or R to move the boxes left or right? Well, whenever I try to go to the boxes after that incident, the boxes just keep moving left non stop and continuously that Im unable to stop.

Example 2:
Another example is when I am in battle. (This is only a problem in the B/W and B2/W2 series). Whenever I try to select a move to attack with it always goes to the description of the move without me holding the L pad. (Whenever you hold the L button while selecting a move it goes to the move's description). But I didnt hold the L button so therefore it is somehow stuck "held on".

Example for non pokemon people:
On the dsi menu, to get to the camera you can either press L or R. when i press R it is all fine. But when I press L it wont work. Also when i take a picture with R it works and then when it goes to the main dsi menu, all the buttons get disabled including the touch screen. However the on screen animations still run and arent grozen after that. The buttons get fixed when I restart the system except for the L button.

Example 2:
On most games when you hold L R start select, it restarts the game. However for me all I need to press is R start select and the game restarts.

This confuses me because the L button is still clickable, its not like its stuck. I can still press it and I here the 'clicky' sound.

Are there any temporary fixes to this without sending to nintendo. Last time my R button was broke I tried blowing it and it works the whole time. I tried that to my L button but no luck.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put a replacement shell on my DS and the L button has been jammed down ever since. I honestly havent gotten it to work yet, and thats somewhat frustrating when a game REQUIRES you to use it.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I caution against blowing on the button. If its actually jammed, blowing on it wont do anything. Use an air duster or something. Also when you blow on it, that moisture from your mouth goes into the DS and doesnt leave. So eventually you can damage your DS if you let moisture build up.

broitsak

Fight me.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I blow on my L button too,but i be really carefull not to blow to much(no homo),i hate when this happens!It can really ruin ur game!Ur playing and enjoying ur time then all of a sudden a wild jammed L button appears!I sometimes forget to pause the game to!

qwertybanana

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Its not like the L button is broken...when it was last broken and I blew into it, it worked fine. But now it's broken in a different way, the fact that it is stuck 'held on' but the button is still clickable.

serenade.63

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the mechanism that the shoulder buttons use to make contact is kind of like a rainbow shaped metal piece over a flat metal piece and when you click the buttons, the rainbow straightens and makes contact, it sounds like the rainbow shaped metal piece is either completely flattened or it has been pushed so hard that it is now convex instead of concave, either way, youre basically screwed.

Imajeep

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
or can I open my dsi and fix it?

From experience: Don't. Sent it to Nintendo if you have to. I opened mine and somehow I now have to choose between having both screens working, no working R button, Bottom screen with lines and working R button or nothing. I had a similar (perhaps the same) issue as yours.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
Underneath the button is a metal strip that, when pressed, sends a signal to the device and activates L's function, . When the strip is covered/jammed by anything (dust, etc), it can be unresponsive. That's why blowing in it can fix it.

You can open it and clean it with alcohol.

Some found this video helpful.

I myself used WD40

PFOU9.jpg

Just spray the button and depress button several times or use tweezers to pull out the stuck button

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
my L button was broken because my brother kept dropping it by “accident ”

I then ended up fixing it at a random store. The guy he used some certain tools. To fix it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu