chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo_banner_01.jpg
Jakks Pacific has had an ongoing World of Nintendo line for a few years now, which usually covered the simple Mario toys you see on your store shelves at Target, Walmart, Toys R Us and the like. Last year they announced they would like to take on some more of Nintendo's franchises that aren't simply more Mario figures, and recently some of the pre-orders for these figures have started hitting online retailers.​
fignin023__010660100_1010_12112014.jpg
Jakks Pacific's new World of Nintendo line will include waves of the following figures, beginning in April of this year.​
Wave 2 (coming April 2015):
  • 4″ Blue Toad
  • 4″ Luigi
  • 4″ Diddy Kong
  • 4″ Samus (in Metroid Prime style)
  • 6″ Metroid
  • 6″ Toon Ganondorf
Wave 3 (coming July 2015):
  • 4″ Fire Mario (with Fire Flower accessory)
  • 4″ Goomba (with a Coin accessory)
  • 4″ Peach (with a Crown accessory)
  • 4″ Fox McCloud (with an Arwing accessory)
  • 6″ Yoshi
  • 6″ Skull Kid (from Majora’s Mask)
Wave 4 (coming August 2015):
  • 4″ Tanooki Mario (with Tanooki Leaf accessory)
  • 4″Samus in Gravity Suit (with Morph Ball accessory)
  • 4″ Shy Guy (with propeller accessory)
  • 4″ Fire Luigi (with Fire Flower accessory)
  • 4″ Ocarina of Time Link (with Hylian Shield accessory)
  • 6″ Piranha Plant
  • 6″ Metal Bowser OR Dry Bowser
:arrow: SOURCE
These kinds of figure releases provide new opportunities for Nintendo collectors enthusiasts to collect decent quality Nintendo toys with actual articulation and posing ability.​
This will also provide accessible, niche' collection for franchises that have never really had a line of collectibles before, or provide a way to get a nice figure for a franchise you haven't been able to get a figure from before! (that skull kid figure makes you feel a bit better about not missing out on that limited edition Majora's Mask pre-order eh?)​
Toywiz, BigBadToystore, and other collectible store sites offer preorders for the first wave of figures coming out. Typical MSRP is about $12.99 - $14.99.​

Reactions: Sicklyboy and T-hug

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying this is pointless but why would you buy these over Amiibo which are not only figurines but have functionality too. This seems to be a tradeoff of just better quality with zero functionality, I rather have Amiibo but if this makes people happy then so be it.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ooh those are neat, I especially like the look of the Metroid.

I'm not saying this is pointless but why would you buy these over Amiibo which are not only figurines but have functionality too. This seems to be a tradeoff of just better quality with zero functionality, I rather have Amiibo but if this makes people happy then so be it.

Not saying they're pointless but why would you buy an Amiibo over a car? A car not only looks nice but can bring you places too. :rolleyes: (good luck finding a Metroid or Ganon Amiibo too)

Edit - not much of a figurine guy (aside from my Amiibo collection) but waves 3 and 4 actually have some really neat things in them. I'd consider getting Fox, Ocarina Link, and whatever Bowser they release (or both if they do that?)

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ooh those are neat, I especially like the look of the Metroid.

Not saying they're pointless but why would you buy an Amiibo over a car? A car not only looks nice but can bring you places too. :rolleyes: (good luck finding a Metroid or Ganon Amiibo too)

Thats not even close to my example. A car is much more expensive than Amiibos or even this, I'm simply pointing out that Amiibo are a better investment because they have functionality across many current and future Wii U and 3DS titles while these are just.....aesthetically pleasing (and Amiibo are just as aesthetically pleasing too.) I think you missed my point I was trying to convey.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats not even close to my example. A car is much more expensive than Amiibos or even this, I'm simply pointing out that Amiibo are a better investment because they have functionality across many current and future Wii U and 3DS titles while these are just.....aesthetically pleasing (and Amiibo are just as aesthetically pleasing too.) I think you missed my point I was trying to convey.

Just because Amiibos are of Nintendo IPs doesn't mean they're the be-all, end-all of collectible figurines though, as there are tons of different manufacturers who make these kind of collectible figurines and there are some that go for very hefty sums that aren't Nintendo manufactured items. Along the lines of "Why would anyone bother with the Amiibo idea when Skylanders are already a heavily established NFC-figurine game franchise?" is another question you could ask of the Amiibo concept before they were released then...

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I remember seeing the Link figure from "World of Nintendo" and I can firmly say that it was definitely much better than that piss-poor Amiibo figure Nintendo released.

I demand that Nintendo releases a new and better Amiibo Link figure! :P

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because Amiibos are of Nintendo IPs doesn't mean they're the be-all, end-all of collectible figurines though, as there are tons of different manufacturers who make these kind of collectible figurines and there are some that go for very hefty sums that aren't Nintendo manufactured items. Along the lines of "Why would anyone bother with the Amiibo idea when Skylanders are already a heavily established NFC-figurine game franchise?" is another question you could ask of the Amiibo concept before they were released then...
Your ignoring what I said before about what I said regarding functionality. Not only are you buying a decent figurine to display around your home but this particular product will work across many Wii U and 3DS titles, essentially its physical DLC. It has nothing to do with Nintendo being the creators of Amiibo but everything about how it will function with current and future games. If you just want nice figurines to display then by all means this is a nicer alternative to look at, I never once said these were terrible or a waste at all.

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The purpose is exactly as you have stated, many people, like myself, purchase these figures for collectors purpose/display only. While they may not offer the same functionality as an AMIIBO figure, these kinda of figures are MUCH cheaper alternatives of collecting Nintendo figures than, say, a $60 Samus Figma Arts figure like the one I reviewed on the site last year.

Not to mention, many of the AMIIBO figures have already been discontinued, as is like to happen with many of the other AMIIBO according to Nintendo, so these figures also offer a different means of obtaining a character from that franchise.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

These are action figures, aren't they? Different thing than immobile statues like Amiibos.

That said, the Ganon one looks all retarded and shit (and barely poseable), and the Metroid one looks like someone threw some rotten blackberries into some unflavored jello.

I don't have any of the past figures, but have seen some, and they look better than those two so I assume they're an aberration and not indicative of the rest of the new waves.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your ignoring what I said before about what I said regarding functionality. Not only are you buying a decent figurine to display around your home but this particular product will work across many Wii U and 3DS titles, essentially its physical DLC. It has nothing to do with Nintendo being the creators of Amiibo but everything about how it will function with current and future games. If you just want nice figurines to display then by all means this is a nicer alternative to look at, I never once said these were terrible or a waste at all.

Lol they're not supposed to be functional though, that's what I'm getting at. They're figurines. For display. They're supposed to look pretty.

Amiibos have a purpose, they interact with a game. They're supposed to have a function and they do.

You're putting these in a lesser light than Amiibos because the Amiibos do more. Well, yeah, of course they do, because that's what they were designed for lol.

D

Deleted_171835

These look decent enough but I'll stick with Amiibos. I mean, at least the fact that they do something in-game give me some justification for buying them while these...just look nice.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just business, you've got to accept how things are, Viper.
It's not business, it's being an asshole. To do a business, you have to offer something. All you did was having the money to pre-order everything and now you are inflating the prices. I'm so glad the NES collectivism is dying over scalpers inflating prices too much.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not business, it's being an asshole. To do a business, you have to offer something. All you did was having the money to pre-order everything and now you are inflating the prices. I'm so glad the NES collectivism is dying over scalpers inflating prices too much.

Precisely. Imagine going to a busy, popular function with limited parking. Now imagine there are a number of people who don't actually want to be there, who nabbed parking spaces just so they can charge people to have them. Scalping is essentially the same thing. You're greedily nabbing something you don't want, just to create an extra barrier between actual consumers and the product they want, for a heft "I'm a total asshole" overhead added to it.

If someone wants to call it business, be my guest. But that doesn't make them any less of a selfish prick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn