Jagex proposes a return of the 2007 version of Runescape.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there GBAtemp, I know many of you have played Runescape at some point in time. I also know an equal amount of you that hate Runescape with a blazing passion. Whether that be from pure prejudice or some dissatisfaction the "new" Runescape has brought about. Well, those of you who have fond memories of the good 'ole days of Runescape back in 2007, you'd better make your voice heard. The next weekly poll for members will go live on the 15th and the subject this time is a doozy.

We have spent many a night looking through old back-ups in order to find a version of the game from 2007. We have succeeded! Now, we of Jagex wish to ask the players of Runescape if they'd like to see the return of "vintage Runescape". Depending on how many votes we get, you can expect to see its return:

50,000 votes or more - 2007 servers will come back as a separate entity to the current Runescape game, with an additional membership fee of around $15. These servers will receive no content updates and only critical maintenance.

250,000 votes or more - 2007 servers will come back as a separate entity to the main Runescape game, supported by a small development team, with a smaller additional membership fee of around $5 extra. These servers will receive basic maintenance for bug fixes and little improvements, with the possibility of integrating our modern anti-bot technology over time, if it becomes necessary.

500,000 votes or more - 2007 servers will come back as a separate entity to the main RuneScape game, with a dedicated development team, with no extra membership fee. These servers will receive regular maintenance, some content updates and integration of anti-bot technology if necessary

750,000 votes or more - 2007 Servers will come back as a separate entity to the main RuneScape game, with a larger dedicated development team with no extra membership fee and the free portion of the game available to all. These servers will receive continuous maintenance, modern anti-bot technology if necessary and - crucially - regular members' polls to determine which updates you want to see prioritized.

arrow.gif
Source

Well, I don't know about the rest of GBAtemp, but I continue to enjoy Runescape to this day. I've been contemplating getting another membership and this is the perfect excuse to do so. I'm all for more of the game to be available and I remember 2007 with good memories.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm enjoying RuneScape, I don't have too many complaints about the EOC system. There are some imbalances currently (like level 90 weapons only for melee) but it addresses the issues where many people would not use better gear (like nex) when fighting the toughest monsters. I used God war equivalents and sometime even things like the fighter torso no matter what I did. This also allows the game to expand to harder monsters and better equipment.

The abilities are pretty interesting too. I have 99 melee skills, 99 magic, almost 92 range. One of the range abilities is the ricochet shot which targets surrounding people. It's pretty decent to kill things amazingly fast. I have been doing dungeoneering quite a lot (got my first 200k tokens) and the eoc made it pretty cool to go through.

Of course, what interests me is probably different from most people, so I can't speak for everyone.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't touched it in forever. I mean I still think back to the days when I had fun with it, and I contemplate on going back to it again, but then I always think of how much I hate the current runescape and how much of a mess it is. Before it was nice and simple, but not so much anymore.

I don't even know if my friend canceled my membership, hopefully he did.

Also, Jagex, bring back classic slime wars you bastards

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fiddled around with a bit when I was younger, but it was pretty dull all around. The only thing it really had going for it was the lack of a price tag. Otherwise, it's the epitome of "Eh" in game form - there's no Rune-escaping that fact.

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, 2007? What was so cool about that year in runescape? Serious question, I played before it was even officially released, thanks to knowing some mods on Castle Games Domain, when that was a thing. Old school runescape was some of the most fun I had in an MMO, open world PVP, where I could actually smash some annoying fuck's shit in, take his loot, and never hear from him again.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I fiddled around with a bit when I was younger, but it was pretty dull all around. The only thing it really had going for it was the lack of a price tag. Otherwise, it's the epitome of "Eh" in game form - there's no Rune-escaping that fact.

Not to be Simon Cowell or anything, but recently your quality has been lacking... reminds me of Square Enix.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Wow... last time I played this was in 2004 :o I liked it back then... now I've lost interest in it, MMO's just aren't for me.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Heh, 2007? What was so cool about that year in runescape?
Apparently skills have changed a huge amount since 2007. The "old school" RS can be dated to roughly 2007 and then there were quite a few changes. Found an interesting thread related to it (Link).

Stopped playing ages ago and tried it again a few years back. Found out my character had been hacked.. I managed to get it reseted with help from a friend who was a player mod at the time. Lost all my stuff -among them a blue party hat- in the game and haven't gotten back to it since. I doubt I ever will since my time is limited and the game is storywise a bit generic (though the quests did have quite a few interesting features and problems!). The game was fantastic in the days, but don't know about the current game :3

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
hahahahahaahahghghghahahahaha. so jagex admit they @#$@$%ed up this time. runescape has been dying since eoc.

eoc is garbage. it has so many bugs/glitches and they don't even listen to the players. people kept saying eoc wasn't ready, eoc wasn't good. the people knew what was wrong... you lousy pfffftt

for like 10 days I went to the RS forum reading people's complaints, i found out= :gun: jagex is dum13.

I won't be coming back to rs, since its dying. my clan came back after several months of inactivity before eoc came. the day it came my friends never logged back in runescape. I didn't even get to say good bye or say some meaningful crap. :cry: there was no warning...I played for like a month after eoc and never saw em' log back in.

#$@#@#%# jagex. :angry:

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I believe they may have underestimated the power of the internet with those 4 levels. 750,000 shouldn't be TOO hard if this is spread around enough.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe they may have underestimated the power of the internet with those 4 levels. 750,000 shouldn't be TOO hard if this is spread around enough.
Members only vote BTW.

@Narutofan: No, they're making this separate from the main game to try to cater to people such as yourself. TBH, I'm glad you're gone. Such an attitude stifles proper change and development.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: