Hardware Jack Tretton calls the 3DS a “babysitting tool”

TheAmericanNomad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
troa11 said:
In other words, I do not care who sees me playing my toys in public, and neither does my wife. And I would not have married her if she did. In other words, if that had bothered her when I met her, I wouldn't have been interested in her. I have no insecurities about appearing childish because I am not ashamed of it. If Mr. Tretton wants to attack that tiny portion of males who are still insecure about this that also have disposable income, well then let him I guess. He won't stop my fun and he's missing a very large part of the consumer base. My DSi XL and 3DS will continue to be played in public whenever I have the occasion and the need.

rofl.gif

It's easy to say you aren't worried about it when you ALREADY have a wife.

Again, its about first impressions, what were you doing when you met your wife? I doubt it was playing with Yi-Gi-Oh cards.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yi-Gi-Oh cards players =/= doesn't ds gamers.

Playing one doesn't mean playing the other.

Anyway

I do not see why I can't studying, hooking up, planning parties where you can hook up,and play my tech
anywhere front of anyone in the school.

Or even do all that and still get laid enough.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I have nieces and nephews ranging from 2 years to 6 years who all understand how to operate iPhones, Android-based devices, etc. to watch videos, play games, and other stuff. Basically all these devices, including Sony's own stuff, would be considered "babysitting tools" with this generation of humanity.

As far as public embarrassment with gaming devices, this isn't the 20th century anymore. We have technology everywhere, and chances of seeing someone in public without a phone, laptop, and yes, even gaming devices, is shrinking with each day. Opinions change. Everyone has their own "sphere", and people now are less likely to disrupt another person's "sphere", going along lines like saying they should spend their time doing other things.

Because societies are becoming heavily influenced by having technology, people are more accustomed to having them in whatever form they are in. Girls back in the day most likely weren't interested in games, but the same can't be said in today's world. Even mentioned in this thread, girls do play games on Facebook and other games like Angry Birds, and that's not even the half of it. Will they play an FPS? Maybe not, but I have no doubt that a girl at this period in time is more accepting to hang out with a guy who plays such games than a girl at an earlier period in time under the same situation.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jack Tretton @ the CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment said:
[Microsoft and Nintendo]Why would I buy a gaming system without a hard drive in it?
Just like your NGP, right?

Jack Tretton @ the CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment[Microsoft and Nintendo]Motion gaming is cute, but if I can only wave my arms six inches, how does this really feel like I’m doing true accurate motion gaming? ... no self-respecting 20-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those. He’s too old for that.
Umm, anyone waving their arms more than 6 inches on an airplane is either stupid or in serious danger.

I have no reason to defend the 3DS and I can see why someone would be embarrassed with a 3DS in public, but his extremely asinine reasoning is clearly a sign of seeking attention through shock value.

troa11

Older Than You
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheAmericanNomad said:
rofl.gif

It's easy to say you aren't worried about it when you ALREADY have a wife.

Again, its about first impressions, what were you doing when you met your wife? I doubt it was playing with Yi-Gi-Oh cards.

But I'm also saying I wasn't worried about it when I still needed a wife. And, no actually it wasn't playing a DS, it was serving fries in the school caf. Much less cool. Still wouldn't have cared either way.

But then again, I was more interested in meeting someone to spend my life with, not just how much sex I could have...which I find hilarious that many of you gauge how much you "win" at life by.

DxEggman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheAmericanNomad said:
DarkShinigami said:
TheAmericanNomad said:
Well, I don't play my DS at school because it wouldn't exactly make me appeal to the ladies, but neither would a PSP, just about the only acceptable gaming is Angry Birds or facebook games.

The only people I see playing either a DS or PSP are the people who are playing it in between games of Yu-Gi-Oh or Magic the gathering, i.e. people who know they are never getting laid and so just don't give a fu*k either way.
you are a dip shit a girl shouldnt be shooed off by the technology you carry. some girls are actually geeky. and by appeal to the ladies you mean to the ones you classify as hot right then so you are a shallow bastard. i aim for chicks who i can relate too. and some girls will worry about the "technology" if ya get what i mean j/k.

Look man, I'm not trying to offend you in anyway, perhaps you play Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh, and so you took offense, and I'm sorry for that. But, really dude, you must realize that those hobbies aren't cool, they aren't going to increase your chances of getting laid. Now, if you want to sit around for 10 years waiting for that girl that you find sexually attractive AND plays Yu-Gi-Oh, then more power to you. But I'm telling you right now they are few and far between.

Now that doesn't mean you can't play those games, it just means you shouldn't play them in the cafeteria or student center in between classes (I go to college, so that is what I am talking about, remembering high school, it would be even worse for you there).

There are kids at my school who play Yu-gi-oh and Magic and their DSes, they work on their D&D armor. It isn't cool, I mean, I don't know what you want me to say, do you not realize that that kind of sh*t isn't cool? Doesn't mean it isn't fun, doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, I'm just saying, this idiot Sony CEO said it isn't cool, and hes right about that (though he is wrong in assuming the PSP or NGP will be cool).

I'm not shallow, well, maybe I am, but I'm not shallow because I don't play my geekiest toys in front of girls. I want a girl with a good personality, who is also sexually attractive, which I think is fairly normal. But that doesn't mean a girl who isn't going to be drawn to me when I'm playing a DS isn't a girl worth getting to know. She may have other qualities. It isn't me who thinks playing "Gameboys" is lame, it's them. If you are going to only date girls who own a DS, well, you are being pretty shallow there, and basing your relationship something so superficial and childish it is ridiculous.

Some people aren't obsessed with stupid shit like what's cool. Know how i met my girlfriend? i joined and later took over the video game club at my college. guess who played with us? about 30 or so people every week. male, female, all kinds of interests. we hung out with each other. and wouldn't you know, one of those people is now my girlfriend and roommate, and has been for two and a half years now. and i play yu-gi-oh on top of that.
the point of my story? grow the hell up man, seriously. There's more to life than getting laid. A lot more. The people that make it more than it is are usually people who've never gotten laid, which leaves me scratching my head as to why you look down on the D&D kids.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheAmericanNomad said:
Look man, I'm not trying to offend you in anyway, perhaps you play Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh, and so you took offense, and I'm sorry for that. But, really dude, you must realize that those hobbies aren't cool, they aren't going to increase your chances of getting laid. Now, if you want to sit around for 10 years waiting for that girl that you find sexually attractive AND plays Yu-Gi-Oh, then more power to you. But I'm telling you right now they are few and far between.

Now that doesn't mean you can't play those games, it just means you shouldn't play them in the cafeteria or student center in between classes (I go to college, so that is what I am talking about, remembering high school, it would be even worse for you there).

There are kids at my school who play Yu-gi-oh and Magic and their DSes, they work on their D&D armor. It isn't cool, I mean, I don't know what you want me to say, do you not realize that that kind of sh*t isn't cool? Doesn't mean it isn't fun, doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, I'm just saying, this idiot Sony CEO said it isn't cool, and hes right about that (though he is wrong in assuming the PSP or NGP will be cool).

I'm not shallow, well, maybe I am, but I'm not shallow because I don't play my geekiest toys in front of girls. I want a girl with a good personality, who is also sexually attractive, which I think is fairly normal. But that doesn't mean a girl who isn't going to be drawn to me when I'm playing a DS isn't a girl worth getting to know. She may have other qualities. It isn't me who thinks playing "Gameboys" is lame, it's them. If you are going to only date girls who own a DS, well, you are being pretty shallow there, and basing your relationship something so superficial and childish it is ridiculous.
You're kind of missing the point. Technology's growing, and it's not strange to see someone messing with their iPhones or DSs in public places. Using a DS publicly is hardly comparable to discussing what your characters in D&D are doing or playing a trading card game. The people who do it at school are doing it because it's a part of their personality, too. They literally aren't interested in dating a girl that isn't willing to tolerate/enjoy their hobbies, and that's fine.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheAmericanNomad said:
DarkShinigami said:
TheAmericanNomad said:
Well, I don't play my DS at school because it wouldn't exactly make me appeal to the ladies, but neither would a PSP, just about the only acceptable gaming is Angry Birds or facebook games.

The only people I see playing either a DS or PSP are the people who are playing it in between games of Yu-Gi-Oh or Magic the gathering, i.e. people who know they are never getting laid and so just don't give a fu*k either way.
you are a dip shit a girl shouldnt be shooed off by the technology you carry. some girls are actually geeky. and by appeal to the ladies you mean to the ones you classify as hot right then so you are a shallow bastard. i aim for chicks who i can relate too. and some girls will worry about the "technology" if ya get what i mean j/k.

Sorry, some people have more then sex on the brain. It may not be "cool" to you, but it's "cool" to others. Stop being an idiot. Also, who has to wait? I know plenty, PLENTY of women that play videos games, play D&D, AND play TCGs. Why? Because this time isn't the same time as 10-15 years ago. It's extremely common to see people with gadgets running around.

Playing video games, playing TCGs, stuff like that, doesn't make you a geek anymore. A girl with a good personality is someone who will either tolerate your hobbies, or join you in them.

Am I offended by you? Yes. Because you ARE shallow, and very simple and close-minded. The people in this word stopped caring about the word "Cool" from jocks and wannabes who want to do nothing but be popular.

/4amrant

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
Kind of odd, travelling on the tube and national rail in London, I've seen no less that 4 people in the last 3 days playing on a DSi, that were men in their late 20's! 1 of them even had his GF/Wife helping him play lol...

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting topic, but the replies have been more interesting with how people view this. Lol. I'm not ashamed of my "toys," Mr. Tretton. And I'd rather be seen with a "curiosity" of a device with 2 screens utilizing a stylus than a miniaturized version of a home console with the same controls.

I'm 21 and I bring my DS everywhere. If I want to burn time while waiting for something or enjoying a cup of coffee out, I'll play my games on my DS and not give a damn. If I'm out with friends, of course I don't pull it out, thus explaining why some people wonder why no one brings out their handhelds in bars and the like. You didn't go there to play, did you? I think I'd rather enjoy a beer at home while playing, on nights that I don't want to go out with friends.

Most of the time I don't care what society thinks. I don't spend all my thinking time wondering if people view me as "cool," if they think it's normal that's fine, if they think it's not cool, then that's fine either. If you judge me on appearance, then let me judge you from yours as well. I'll think you're a shallow person forming opinions over something you just see and don't understand, or have certain stereotypes about.

Around my former university, I never saw anyone with a DS, mostly PSPs. But for the fact that I knew no one really had DS's around there (small college town,) and Nintendo's presence hasn't been that strong around that area, I can't conclude that only PSP users bring out their PSPs and DS users don't bring out their DS's.

About this girls/girlfriend thing... I doubt anyone who's serious enough and really likes it will whip a DS or any handheld out randomly and play. Play on your own time, hang out with the girls or take care of your girlfriend on another time. Hey, if they, or she, likes games, maybe they can play with you, but if it's something serious and they can't take the fact that one of your forms of entertainment is playing on a handheld, that's their issue.

Makes me wonder why it's not "cool" for other people. Not bashing anyone, but I'd rather play on a handheld anywhere I want than plop down in front of the TV and play on a home console, alone. Don't worry, it's not you, it's me. I don't watch TV either.
wink.gif

Kuschel-Drow

Trophies
Website
kuschel-drow.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Uh... lol... really...?

I mean... hey dude I'm fucking 27 years old, what do I care about WHERE I'm playing? If I want to play my 3DS in a waiting room, in a bus, during a plane ride whatever I just DO it!

The people who stare at you envy you anyway, nothing more, really.
tongue.gif

I kno enough people of my age, even older who OWN a 3DS, or at least an old DS or plan to buy a 3DS soon.

I bet this guy keeps HIS 3DS at home on the toilet, for the longer sessions... x3 And I'm pretty sure he got one.

People are carrying around their laptops, iphones, ipods, PSPs, NDS/i/XLs 3DS's, MP3 players... Sooo what. I'd feel quite bored if I wouldn't have my pockets full of tech. x3

It's just the same with the Wii. Most people say it's just stuff for little children. I REALLY love my Wii... now what? xD

My My... The only one who really needs a babysitting tool is this guy, so he would spend his time in something more productive than talking shit like that.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
zygie is spot on! I could not describe it better. Oh yes, the good old twisted conventions of society.

I am in my late 20's and I still play DS (or now 3DS) on the subway.

IF childish is somehow negative (I wouldn't say that), then watching soccer games on TV is just as childish. And playing 18+ gory shooter games on home consoles (which I sometimes do as well) is just as childish as "childish" DS games. If you are embarassed of playing cutesy games and want only be seen with "mature games", you are a child, no matter the age.

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
DSGamer64 said:
And I find it funny that no one from Nintendo really ever tries to shit talk Sony or Microsoft, I guess their staff don't feel the need to make themselves look like trolls.
Because Nintendo knows they're better than those two.
glare.gif

QUOTE(Nathan Drake @ Apr 9 2011, 04:15 AM) It also may just be the West Coast, maybe only Oregon. I've been around Oregon quite a bit, and I rarely see DS's out and around.
Same here, most of the people here has a PSP. *sigh* (They're Fanboys WTF!) Everytime I play with my DS, Sony Fanboys gather around and laugh at me...
dry.gif

Cloak519

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tretton's sales tactics are smart. Saying things like this gets those 'Z0MGGUYZIAREHARDCOREGAMER' kids at school to buy Sony's stuff. The type of 16-year-old that listens to nothing outside of Slipknot and thinks they know everything about games and 'being a man'.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
CA519705950 said:
Tretton's sales tactics are smart. Saying things like this gets those 'Z0MGGUYZIAREHARDCOREGAMER' kids at school to buy Sony's stuff. The type of 16-year-old that listens to nothing outside of Slipknot and thinks they know everything about games and 'being a man'.
I agree. Some youngsters can simply be influenced by the fact that 'if you do not play the NGP then you're not a man' or something like that.

However, I bet 3DS sales will still surpass NGP sales, even with this kind of 'propaganda'. Just my thoughts though.
nyanya.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think he put it in the most "respectful" way but I think Tretton confirms what I've been thinking for a while, which is the NGP's demographics.

The only thing I don't get is why he wonders why people would buy a system without an internal hard drive. It's better than buying a 20GB PS3 or something and being stuck with that low amount until you buy another one. At least with 360's I can just buy a bigger hard drive.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
I don't think he put it in the most "respectful" way but I think Tretton confirms what I've been thinking for a while, which is the NGP's demographics.

The only thing I don't get is why he wonders why people would buy a system without an internal hard drive. It's better than buying a 20GB PS3 or something and being stuck with that low amount until you buy another one. At least with 360's I can just buy a bigger hard drive.

I replaced my ps3s harddrive in 5 mins
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality