J.J. Abrams and Valve teaming up for Portal, Half Life movies

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a stunning reveal, Valve head honcho and Indiana Jones boulder cosplayer Gabe Newell and famed director/lens flare enthusiast JJ Abrams have announced that they are currently in talks for film adaptations of Valve's most beloved franchises: Half Life and Portal.

While rumors have been swirling about film adaptations of Valve's works, this is the first concrete evidence towards it. As Abrams said, "It's as real as anything in Hollywood ever gets."

Abrams went on to say that they " are going to be bringing on a writer" and they "have a lot of very interesting ideas."

However, video games moving to the big screen hasn't exactly been a fruitful affair, with most movies falling into the "mediocre" to "awful" category. Abrams assured us that this won't be the case. "We're also aware of the cautionary tales of movies that became games and vice versa," he said. "Our goal here to is to treat the world Valve has created in both these properties like anyone would a book or some great story that comes from a pitch or original script - just to treat it with the respect they treat their games and their players with."

JJ Abrams is most known for his work on Lost, Cloverfield, and the Star Trek reboot. He's also directing the upcoming Star Trek sequel, Star Trek: Into Darkness and was revealed to be signed on as the director of Star Wars Episode VII. With these new projects on his plate, expect to see him in the news even more.

:arrow: Source

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
tumblr_lr5gd6mC7r1qdy8oqo1_400.jpg
Half Life: The Movie
Starring Morgan Freeman as Gordon Freeman

Coming to a theatre near you in 2014 2015 2016 2029 "when it's done"!

inb4 "Half Life 3 Confirmed!"

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Portal has a great story, but I don't know if the narrative style really would work for a movie format. We might get some sort of Half-Life project but I don't think we'll ever get more than a script treatment or two out of Portal, unless it's an original story and not an adaptation.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as I love valve, I'm going to have to place this firmly in the "Do not want" category.
It just seems like a strange move seeing as both portal and Half Life were very good at conveying their stories in the first place. (They also tie into each other)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I know everyone's worried about them ruining Gordon and Chell with voices but they could be movies based in the universes of each game.

I could see a Portal prequel with another test subject or a Half Life prequel about the war when Gordon was in stasis.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte