Iwata: WiiU to likely cost more than ¥20,000 (about $250)

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
If Nintendo wanted to do something that would really upset the competition they could try not charging Europeans massively more than North Americans for a bloody change.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that, if Nintendo priced the WiiU at 250-300 dollars, and lowered the price of the 3DS to 200 dollars, they'd dominate the market for yet another generation.

250 dollars is crazy low for a console like the WiiU.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question about this since I missed the E3 presentation, is this a new console (Or pretty much a Wii hardware upgrade) that will be sold with that controller, or is it just the controller, and if it is a "system hardware upgrade", did they say anything about leaving or removing Gamecube compatibility?

Erdnaxela

Trophies
XP
Country
France
mabilouz said:
If Nintendo wanted to do something that would really upset the competition they could try not charging Europeans massively more than North Americans for a bloody change.
Yeah I bought my 3ds 220 euros (=320$) >.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Selim873 said:
I have a question about this since I missed the E3 presentation, is this a new console (Or pretty much a Wii hardware upgrade) that will be sold with that controller, or is it just the controller, and if it is a "system hardware upgrade", did they say anything about leaving or removing Gamecube compatibility?
It's an entirely new console with a big graphics update, as well as a new "unique" controller. The console is sold with (presumably) one controller, and we don't have an idea about Gamecube playback. Chances are they took that out as the new WiiU now plays proprietary disks.

We'll have to see. Also, the WiiU can be played with the Wii Remote and all of its accessories, like the Wii Balance Board, the Classic Controller, and Nunchuck.

D

Deleted User

Slyakin said:
Selim873 said:
It's an entirely new console with a big graphics update, as well as a new "unique" controller. The console is sold with (presumably) one controller, and we don't have an idea about Gamecube playback. Chances are they took that out as the new WiiU now plays proprietary disks.

We'll have to see. Also, the WiiU can be played with the Wii Remote and all of its accessories, like the Wii Balance Board, the Classic Controller, and Nunchuck.
They already confirmed that there will be no Gamecube compatibility.
See here: http://gbatemp.net/t296329-nintendo-wiiu-w...e-compatibility

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
If Nintendo wants to make it up for it's overpriced 3DS (and to own Sony - fanboy way):

The Wii U should be priced around $250 - 270

Hence, they'll lower the 3DS price to $220 - 230

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Also, the WiiU can be played with the Wii Remote and all of its accessories, like the Wii Balance Board, the Classic Controller, and Nunchuck.

I already got that because I saw the reveal trailer, it just didn't seem detailed enough for me because it still looked like the old Wii (Or maybe I'm blind). I've already had ideas pop into my head though, I noticed that the new controller could be attached to the Zapper, so maybe on a game like Call of Duty or Battlefield, hip fire will only take place on the television, and the iron sight/scope sight will be on the controller's screen, they seemed to demonstrate it just like that on the trailer, but thinking about it with CoD or Battlefield, I'm honestly excited! I want to get it before college, but I don't know the release date, if it's within Q1 thru entering Q2 of 2012, I might be able to take one to college with me brand new.
smile.gif

EDIT: No Gamecube compatibility? Dang, I still play F-Zero GX all the time... Still, I could only imagine a new F-Zero on the WiiU, but I think chances are a bit slim for Sega and Nintendo working together for something like that at this time.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, they had to phase out the Gamecube at some point. It'd be weird if the PS3 played PS1 disks, eh? But the PS3 has a PS1 virtual library, so who knows?
biggrin.gif

saviorkross

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Yeah, they had to phase out the Gamecube at some point. It'd be weird if the PS3 played PS1 disks, eh? But the PS3 has a PS1 virtual library, so who knows?
biggrin.gif

If I'm not mistaken, all PS3's have PS1 disc compatibility. Only some have PS2 compatibility, mind you.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it will cost about $350 bucks. No way it will be this cheap. Unless they're not counting controllers that come with it.
laugh.gif

Edit: Oh, it says more than. My bad.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
They can't price it the same as the 3DS?

At least $275 or $300.

It sounds good,but I didn't want them killing off their own portable. (or at least beating it up a little) :/

I agree, they'd really just shine the fact on that the 3DS is "overpriced" (I don't think it is, but other people will).

Although what's the cost of the console with a controller?

Also, he doesn't say it will be $250, he says it'll be more than $250. They/he probably chose $250 to compare it to the Wii's launching price.

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
KingVamp said:
They can't price it the same as the 3DS?

At least $275 or $300.

It sounds good,but I didn't want them killing off their own portable. (or at least beating it up a little) :/

I agree, they'd really just shine the fact on that the 3DS is "overpriced" (I don't think it is, but other people will).

Although what's the cost of the console with a controller?

Also, he doesn't say it will be $250, he says it'll be more than $250. They/he probably chose $250 to compare it to the Wii's launching price.

Compared with Vita, it is.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
saviorkross said:
Slyakin said:
biggrin.gif

If I'm not mistaken, all PS3's have PS1 disc compatibility. Only some have PS2 compatibility, mind you.

You are completely correct. I can happily put PS1 games in my PS3, and they work flawlessly.

D

Deleted User

Hmm... This pricing is questionable. Does the controller also cost $250 each?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.