Hacking Iwata: Piracy “is an endless battle”

Kovani

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if this news can fit in this section, but here's what I found a website.

QUOTE said:
Nintendo boss says publisher will pursue technical and legal measures to crack down on software theft

With the PS3 remaining the only current generation console to remain unhacked, platform holder Nintendo – whose DS and Wii remain two of piracy’s largest victims – has admitted that the battle against software piracy “is endless”.

“I recognize there is more software piracy, playing downloaded software data without purchase, than some years ago, on many of the current platforms including Nintendo DS,” boss Satoru Iwata stated.

“As for the piracy itself, it is said to be hard to precisely figure out the total impact as it is done underground. But I think I can declare that software piracy impacts all video game platforms today.”

Iwata went on to detail he ways in which Nintendo is attempting to fight the battle.

“As for specific measures, we have two ways – technological and legal measures,” Iwata explained.

“They tend to become a cat-and-mouse chase. As the piracy itself is underground, someone somewhere finds out the solution to evade our measures. When we shut one hole of the mice, they have dug a new one somewhere else.

“We have acknowledged that this is an endless battle, and we believe the best measure is to keep fighting it technologically and legally.

"As for the details of specific measures, I'll refrain from disclosing them here, as this conversation will be public online and the pirates will be able to find. I will however promise to keep acting legally and technologically, with patience.”

Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36390/Iwata-Pira...-endless-battle

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nintendo could save so much money if they didn't spend so much money and effort into anti-piracy. they aren't assessing their gains and losses correctly. i'm sure piracy has generated plenty of hardware sales for them. imagine how much money they would make if they sold their own flash carts. it could be a real benefit for them just like major pharmaceutical companies sell generic versions of their own medicines to compete with other generic drug producers.

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nando said:
nintendo could save so much money if they didn't spend so much money and effort into anti-piracy. they aren't assessing their gains and losses correctly. i'm sure piracy has generated plenty of hardware sales for them. imagine how much money they would make if they sold their own flash carts. it could be a real benefit for them just like major pharmaceutical companies sell generic versions of their own medicines to compete with other generic drug producers.
this man speaks the truth

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
piracy = expensive genuine products

no more no less

piracy < cheap genuine products

I may have go to that route for myself if softwares are so cheap

@Philippines: Stop adding more prices on the softwares you assholes!!

Retal

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
With the PS3 remaining the only current generation console to remain unhackedRemaining to remain. Wow, great journalism there.

QUOTE said:
Iwata went on to detail he ways in which Nintendo is attempting to fight the battle.QUOTE
he ways
derps.jpg

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luckily, in this "endless battle", we've got ships! ARGH MATEY, RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER AND LOAD YE CANNONS!

Nintendo always complains about piracy yet falls short on doing anything to stop it. 4.2 was decently successful but already worked around. They've had 1 DSi update that blocked most crapcarts (crappy flashcarts), but most carts still work on it. And forget DSi/DS Phat owners, they're jizzing buckets of piracy. I haven't gotten a DS game since March (if you were wondering, it was Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon).

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stivsama said:
Why IS the PS3 still "unhacked?"

Isn't about time? And by time, I mean the time the price is almost right, at 299?
The biggest reason is that one of the processor cores exists solely to make sure that the system isn't compromised. Not even the devs can modify this processor.

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Chris_Skylock said:
piracy = expensive genuine products

no more no less

piracy < cheap genuine products

I may have go to that route for myself if softwares are so cheap

@Philippines: Stop adding more prices on the softwares you assholes!!

Thank you.

And the message is, if you make backup loaders, make them legal, don't steal code and don't distribute copyrighted material (*cough* Wiiso, fuck you).

Retal

Trophies
XP
Country
FenrirWolf said:
stivsama said:

Isn't about time? And by time, I mean the time the price is almost right, at 299?
The biggest reason is that one of the processor cores exists solely to make sure that the system isn't compromised. Not even the devs can modify this processor.
The biggest reason is PS3 has no games.

mattjd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Retal said:
FenrirWolf said:
stivsama said:

Utter bullshit I own a PS3 and have 25 games and there all good... Now the xbox is just the cheaper alternative aiming for the more retarded chavier crowd. If you had the choice between an xbox or ps3 you would choose the ps3.

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
mattjd said:
Retal said:
FenrirWolf said:
stivsama said:

Utter bullshit I own a PS3 and have 25 games and there all good... Now the xbox is just the cheaper alternative aiming for the more retarded chavier crowd. If you had the choice between an xbox or ps3 you would choose the ps3.

*Cough* 360.

AWR-cheesy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Luckily, in this "endless battle", we've got ships! ARGH MATEY, RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER AND LOAD YE CANNONS!

Nintendo always complains about piracy yet falls short on doing anything to stop it. 4.2 was decently successful but already worked around. They've had 1 DSi update that blocked most crapcarts (crappy flashcarts), but most carts still work on it. And forget DSi/DS Phat owners, they're jizzing buckets of piracy. I haven't gotten a DS game since March (if you were wondering, it was Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon).

yer 4.2 was and is nintendos best sucess in stopping piracy and hacking but the word got out to all hackers now no 1 is downloading 4.2 and if they are they download it so they dont get all the bad shit from 4.2 now if nintendo found away so once they got to 4.2 they couldnt downgrade back to the other versions it would be a perfect sucess lol

C175R

GBAtemp Pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
stivsama said:

maybe cause its too much crap n no one wants to do it or risk it?
like getting blu-ray burner,
blu-ray discs
and then take days to dump one game (if you can) since I think blu-ray can hold 25Gb or 50GB
and then burn it and try to play.
didn't work.
you have to install something to your PS3 so it will be playable
no one wants to install something then fail and won't be able to use their PS3
and also PS3 has constant updates. I just got my PES 2010 and had to update or it won't let me play.
so it has many issues(protection).

nutta_nic

Trophies
XP
Country
360 sucks camels anus,
only thing going 4 it is the best FPS series of all time

GEARS OF WAR!!!!!!!!!

POW POW POP OH YEAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, at least they're not denying it.

But I think they're fighting a losing battle. It's only endless if they keep trying.

The only way to stop the wii pirates is to make a new console, and immediately halt all wii manufacture, and recall all wiis they have manufactured and distributed, which I doubt they'll do anytime soon.

The pirates have already won, ages ago.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
lol @ their futile effort.

NO MATTER WHAT, piracy is unbeatable. In a world where crimes can be committed anonymously with the click of a mouse, they're fighting piracy just for the sole purpose of looking good.

Anti-piracy is in REAL need of innovation imo. Plus they can't actually make their 3rd-party devs use it as well, so either way they're screwed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you @SylverReZ