PrimeX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/324314637870985216

which google translates to:

[Iwata] so we decided to implement the body next week update of Wii U, the direct of today, I introduce the main body also this update

So in the Japanese Nintendo Direct from today 3PM GMT it seems we'll get the details. Hopefully we'll also get some new Wii U games presentation.

Reactions: BIFFTAZ

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/324314637870985216

which google translates to:

[Iwata] so we decided to implement the body next week update of Wii U, the direct of today, I introduce the main body also this update

So in the Japanese Nintendo Direct from today 3PM GMT it seems we'll get the details. Hopefully we'll also get some new Wii U games presentation.

So that's what Reggie meant by "my body is ready"....

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks really nice. In addition to the faster menu loading shown earlier you can install updates in the background and with out having to start the game (or even have the console on which may be a problem for people who want to avoid updates).

Transferring data between USB drives....I hope this means you can back up and restore game save data.

Quick boot in to Wii mode sounds nice ( I wonder if this means the update might mess up soft mods....)

Virtual Console too....looking forward to updating my old titles.

PrimeX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Let's see other news about this update:

- Download/Install software while playing games - this one seems reaaaaaaaaaaaally helpful because a lot of people are complaining about the download time. I would gladly play something while my game/app is coming from eShop
- Download (& Install??) even when you turn console off - niiiice
- Virtual Console in off-tv mode - although I'm not a fan of old games seems that many were awaiting this one
- PanoramaView - some app similar to Google app already available, I'm not at all interested in this one.

PrimeX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Transferring data between USB drives....I hope this means you can back up and restore game save data.

Quick boot in to Wii mode sounds nice ( I wonder if this means the update might mess up soft mods....)

Have no idea what copying data between USB drives implies but maybe we'll get a backup possibility and in the case that main drive fails we won't need a new endless download
The quick boot to vWii is great but could be dangerous like you say...for our mods. Hopefully will be just a new method of getting to vWii faster and that's it.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have no idea what copying data between USB drives implies but maybe we'll get a backup possibility and in the case that main drive fails we won't need a new endless download
The quick boot to vWii is great but could be dangerous like you say...for our mods. Hopefully will be just a new method of getting to vWii faster and that's it.

Say you have a 500GB HDD, you can copy that to a 1TB HDD if you choose or any HDD. It's just swapping data and HDD's.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I was seeing something about how currently you can't copy between hard drives and you have to have the space on your Wii U to copy it there first.....I guess this is a pain because computers can't read the Wii U formatted drives? Haven't tried it yet, I am guessing it doesn't use WBFS and there is no PC Apps to manage Wii U formatted drives at this time.

I did email Nintendo about save data and they replied that this update is not adding this ability but that they would note my concern and forward it to whoever blah blah blah. I would urge everyone to complain to Nintendo about this, it's bad enough having purchases tied to the console but having saves tied to the console and not being able to backup them up at all is absolutely freaking ridiculous.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I was seeing something about how currently you can't copy between hard drives and you have to have the space on your Wii U to copy it there first.....I guess this is a pain because computers can't read the Wii U formatted drives? Haven't tried it yet, I am guessing it doesn't use WBFS and there is no PC Apps to manage Wii U formatted drives at this time.

I did email Nintendo about save data and they replied that this update is not adding this ability but that they would note my concern and forward it to whoever blah blah blah. I would urge everyone to complain to Nintendo about this, it's bad enough having purchases tied to the console but having saves tied to the console and not being able to backup them up at all is absolutely freaking ridiculous.

Nah I have better things to complain about. It's not that big of a deal anyways.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is what i Predict the "Best" news features of the new update will be.
1. Removal of the homebrew channel.
2. Blacklist Bathaxx exploit
3. delete CIOS's
4. possibly even fix the Smash Stack exploit via updating IOS36 itself as it cannot be blacklisted like save based ones like BATHAXX.
==============================
which means,
1. wait and see and if the new update does infact remove the Homebrew Channel,based on what others who updated have said. I will wait until a HBC update comes out, similar to how it was updated to allow people to retain it when updating to 4.3 on the original Wii.
2. Never power it up with a connection to the Internet at all as it will block vWii mode until the update is applied. should be safe to connect to the internet once in vWii, I use a LAN adapter so it should be easy connect it up once in vWii mode, which cannot be done on wireless unless you turn your wireless access point off until in vWii mode.

PrimeX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
they never bothered to do this on the Wii so I think they don't really care anymore
or at least I hope so

bezem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I'm reading it looks like it launches this evening, after the 1 - 7 Pacific Standard Time service outage.

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
No update here in the UK.

From what I'm reading it looks like it launches this evening, after the 1 - 7 Pacific Standard Time service outage.

Ye, Just found this @joystiq

Nintendo is performing online maintenance for all its systems today as it prepares the Wii U's spring system update. The update, which will introduce the Virtual Console proper (among other things), may be fully launched by tomorrow according to a Facebook tease by Nintendo of America.

The extended maintenance is scheduled between 1PM PT today (4PM ET, 9PM UK) and 7PM PT (10PM ET, 3AM UK). The eShop and shopping channels for the Wii U, 3DS, Wii, and DS will be affected, so expect them to go down during those hours.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wonder how long this update will take to download the 1st took me 2 hours :blink:
45 minutes for me, and this was on launch day. Though to be fair, it was understandable as their servers were probably flooded to shit.

Honestly, I think the update will come out Wednesday when they update the eShop. It only makes sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs