Iwata: Nintendo to expand beyond games

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Gahars, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    wow man. thanks for that. I love learning stuff like that.

and YES my zipper does have YKK on it.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  2. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    [​IMG]

I used to eat the stuff for breakfast, d00d

3. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    You have to be kidding.
    Nintendo can't make Game Consoles.
    And you think they'll break into the ultra competitive phone market ?
    Absolutely zero chance.
    or less.

The QOL platform was announced to reassure investors that Nintendo was going to diversify in the future. The lack of anything concrete about the idea just highlights it wasn't a long brewing idea .... it's just something to say to investors to keep them from dumping Nintendo stock.

The idea that Nintendo is pursuing other platforms significantly reduces the chances they will ever release another Home Console.
    The Wii U is probably the last.

4. luisedgarf

luisedgarf Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2009
    Mexico
    Mexico
    Can you explain better about this, rather than using one-liners?

duffmmann and xwatchmanx like this.
  5. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx The Dark Souls of GBAtemp

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Except that PlayStation is one of the only departments that's making Sony money right now.

I get what you're saying (and it applies quite well to Microsoft, who weren't making money on the Xbox brand until recent years, iirc), but Sony isn't the best example of what you're saying.

6. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Gahars, you beast. Only you could come up with such depictions on a picture and then wonder if we should be excited about this. And nobody has been showing confidence in Nintendo lately: hopefully this move will be a boon to people's confidence in Nintendo and the things they do. And the quality of life is exactly what it sounds like: but hopefully their quality assurance will go up because they're kind of in the dumps right now.

Well: the beginning of the end was when they released the Wii U. Underpowered, no games in two years: yup, definitely going under. Now, with this business move, they're hoping to turn the end of a beginning into a new beginning. And you, dedicated Nintendo fan that you are, should support this. :) "Out with the old, in with the new", I think it goes.

7. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

Dude the mobile phone market is perfect for Nintendo. Every mobile analyst wants Nintendo to release games to the mobile stores. If Nintendo made their own phone and made mobile games and rereleased oldschool roms to be used only with their proprietary phone, then that could be a goldmine. I don't see why they wouldn't enter the "ultra competitive phone market" as their moto has always been about fun at an affordable cost, they could be the anti-apple. While their phones would be proprietary like Apple and have its own exclusive and vast game market, it would come at an incredibly affordable price as opposed to Apple's ridiculously expensive prices.

I don't want ^ this to happen. But realistically, I can see this happening within the next decade for sure. Maybe it wont, but I would not say its outside of the realm of possibilities at all.

8. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    So nintendo can do "whatever it wants"...
    - Is selling 3DS rather well for now but not expecting sales like DS or gameboy line
    - Wii U is selling rather bad...

When Nintendo says it can do "whatever it wants", I took it as "We don't care what the customers or developers think, we do our own shit.

... Which is funny because it kinda shows in how their business work in a certain way. But I won't make any argument about it or else this thread will derail.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  9. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

Um actually they definitely are expecting sales like that. The 3DS is selling like crazy, living up to its predecessors. It had a slow start, thats true, but now, its selling very well and constantly has games dominating the charts.

Second point is true though, Wii U isn't doing well at all.

10. TheDarkSeed

TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

May 11, 2009
    United States
    Carson
    Stop.

11. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

Hammer time?

or

Collaborate and listen?

TheDarkSeed likes this.
  12. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Not gonna lie these would be pretty cool.

13. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

No they wouldn't.

Now, if they used "NintenGo" and/or "NintendOS," well, maybe we'd have something.

gamefan5 likes this.
  14. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    Nintendo condoms.

"You found the princess? Then stop jumping!"

I will show myself out.

15. megaexplosion

megaexplosion Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2014
    United States
    California
    Dunno if this has been stated yet but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo released a tablet-like device catering to kids of smaller ages. With already known characters like Mario and the gang, app-like games for children wouldn't be tough to engineer. Something like the Leapfrog or whatever.

Personally, I would love to see things like the Zelda manga. Maybe more commercial things of other media like that would be really cool if done right. Series like Zelda and Metroid might benefit. While something like children's Mario books could do okay. I'm not too sure about the cell phone market though. :o Maybe apps?

16. NakedFaerie

NakedFaerie GBAtemp Fan

Jul 12, 2007
    In the shadows behind you
    BUT It wont be normal. The closeline with be vertical, the Music store will only be 1950 to 1951 country, the food will all be jelly beans and the OS will be only for the Nintendo mobile which nobody will buy as its from the 1970s.

They do a lot of things wrong. Like a square controller which is the most uncomfortable controller ever invented. Its so not for the hand they needed to add a strap to stop it falling out. You dont see any straps on $ony or Micro$ofts controllers do you.

Ok, so the PS3 motion controller has a strap, but its round and a lot more comfortable than the wiimote.
    We learn these things as a kid. You don't put the square block in the round hole. Well thats what NintenDOH have done.
    YouTube is full of clips where people break things with the wiimote. You dont see any with the PS3 motion controller do you.

17. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Psycho!

May 5, 2013
    United States
  18. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker News Police

Banned
    Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
  19. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK

erm your link says different : More product lines became available with the Quicklon (sometimes called Cosmolon) fasteners in December 1981. International and product expansion continued during the 1980s, with a real estate business in Singapore in December 1984, an agricultural business in Brazil in January 1985, and a plant in Indonesia in September 1986 producing zippers and aluminium parts for buildings. The company was finally renamed YKK in August 1994.

20. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    As Densetsu said, I doubt its going to be something huge at the moment. They shall probably start with the basic and simple technological items such as music players, headphones, and other accessories then probably progress into the bigger commodities such as TVs