Iwata: Consoles Becoming Obsolete Soon Is "Unthinkable"

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by luke_c, May 14, 2010.

1. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Source.

2. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    Good. A purely digital distribution console is the day I start going from buying all my games to pirating them, 100%. And cloud computing will make me stop gaming altogether.

I like the self-contained media that I can play on more than one console, and I also prefer playing handheld RPGs and other complex games from its own cartridge and self-contained save data.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I vote for a broad standard- anyone can and does make PC components.

4. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Not taking into consideration that the next generation of consoles might be considerably harder to crack if not impossible. Console companies are learning. Especially Sony and MS.

5. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    The next generation isn't likely to move to a 100% digital distribution model, though. There are still many people who don't have access to high-speed internet, and of those who do, many don't have unlimited download. A handful of modern PS3 games would exceed the caps of many people's service for a month. Cloud computing is even further away, and will never be a realistic option for handheld gaming... at least not until the day where free, high-speed internet access is universally available on every street corner and in every cornfield from one side of the Earth to the other. I don't see that happening any time soon, so the worst we could hope for on a portable system was 100% download... but as the PSP Go has already failed (IMO, due to it not being hacked, and having no physical media), I don't see anyone trying that again in the immediate future.

I have no doubt future consoles will be harder to crack... though nothing is unhackable, so I expect it'll be done. As I've mentioned before, personally I feel the only reason the PS3 and DSi haven't been is because nobody cares enough about it, and there aren't enough benefits of actually doing it (other than bragging rights, which you may not even be able to partake in is you'd probably get sued).

6. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Freshâ„¢

United States
    $20 says console death happens in ~80 years.

7. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    by then your brain would most likely be the ultimate console.

8. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    I saw the title on the forum index, and I didn't see the rest and thought it meant handheld is the way to go (People usually refer to home consoles as consoles, and handheld consoles as handhelds, even though they are both considered consoles)...I was like, "Why the heck would anyone want to go all-handheld?"

Then I read the topic, and saw that it meant exclusively-game consoles...

I like being able to switch from my computer to Wii and play a game, or vise versa. I like PC gaming, but I'd rather have a console to play games on. I just hope future generations of game consoles don't turn into computers with games as an option. I like it simple...Sure, an internet browser or weather-viewing app is nice, but I don't want stuff like video editing software, or anything else that should be computer-only.