Maz7006

iSEXu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Last month i decided to stop getting internet to my house since well it was too expensive and i was low on funds

Some two days ago im back online and paid off the bills
biggrin.gif

wanting to play some Borderlands with a mate, i booted up the game and kept timing out, then tried some CoD4 also timing out and once connected ping was 999

Emailed my ISP asking about my situation, and their reply :

QUOTE said:
Dear valued user,
We are aware of the current situation and are currently trying to improve things. Be aware that we have stopped proving end-users with good latency due to the limited bandwidth that the government has been providing. As a result QoS for most online interaction has been reduced drastically as that we are no longer able to supply it.

... seriously....
wtf.gif

if your curious to know what this ISP is it's called VISP

I doubt this will be ever fixed at all, the problem is that the main company here (Ogero) isn't keep up with bandwidth and unable to provide enough for all the resellers. Not to mention connections here cost quite a lot ( just to give you an idea: 40$USD a month for 256kb/s cnxn)

so i guess i wont be playing Bad Company 2 online anymore
mad.gif

Seriously does anyone have this problem with their country and/or ISP ?

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's incredibly bad service and you're paying an awful lot!

I have to say that I don't recognize this at all. I don't know how much we're paying a month, but it's certainly not more than 60 dollars a month for unlimited internet, telephone and television usage, with internet speed at 100 mbps (at least that's what they claim. It's probably less, but still a lot).

Maz7006

iSEXu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maikel Steneker said:
That's incredibly bad service and you're paying an awful lot!

I have to say that I don't recognize this at all. I don't know how much we're paying a month, but it's certainly not more than 60 dollars a month for unlimited internet, telephone and television usage, with internet speed at 100 mbps (at least that's what they claim. It's probably less, but still a lot).

Telecommunication companies here are knows for their crap services

im honestly fine with the speed, i dnt mind download at 30kb/s and browsing at normal speeds, just the latency is a great issue.

QUOTE(Prowler485 @ Mar 3 2010, 10:43 PM) Feel sorry for you bro.
Get playing dem flash games.

*snip
England has crappy upload speeds.

Yeah, used to live there, but at least you have great latency, ill put up a speed test but trust me its going to be so crap due to the fact ive just entered peek times as well :/

elmoreas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Man that is bad service for a horrible price to boot. I pay $39.99 for Unlimited Internet and this is my Speedtest result:

735983091.png

Of course we pay extra for TV and Phone but we use Magic Jack for Phone so its $17ish/year and our Basic Digital cable is only like $60/month. You are definately getting ripped off. Living in the States has its drawbacks but Net access and speeds is one of the big positives.

Elmoreas

Maz7006

iSEXu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ripped off?

trust me these are the prices here, and to be honest this is the best currently

i could get 1mb cnxn (still will have issues with latency though) for 70$ a month, yet it was have a 5GB Down and 5 GB up limit :l

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Maikel Steneker said:
internet speed at 100 mbps (at least that's what they claim
Wait, are you getting this value from the network speed within windows? That's not a measurement of the internet speed, it's a measurement of the speed between your computer and your router.

And yeah, fail internet is fail.
frown.gif
At least it's not satellite?

elmoreas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Speaking for myself I just meant relatively speaking, compared to other parts of the world you were getting ripped off. I am sure that there that is a fair price for the service as that is all that is available. but compared to what is available out there in other parts of the world that seems like a horrible deal and very unfair to you. Out of curiosity is the net controled by the state in your country or is it free market and if it is free market has it been monopolized or something? Also what is the state of your nations internet infrastructure? Is it completely analog, digital, a mix? Is it being improved at all or is its growth static? I am just curious about other parts of the world and what it is like there. Thanks for the insight into your part of the world.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

Maz7006

iSEXu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
elmoreas said:
Out of curiosity is the net controled by the state in your country or is it free market and if it is free market has it been monopolized or something? Also what is the state of your nations internet infrastructure? Is it completely analog, digital, a mix? Is it being improved at all or is its growth static? I am just curious about other parts of the world and what it is like there. Thanks for the insight into your part of the world.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

Im not so familiar with some of the terms used but bascially this is how it works here:

The is only 1 telecommunications company here called Ogero, government owned and run

they provide the phone line service and thus they are the only ones that provide DSL services. So basically if you take from a private company (like me) so you can benfit from "unlimited bandwidth" and much lower costs your ultimately taking from Ogero, which have stopped proving the necessary bandwidth for users like me. In other words the reply that i got from my ISP basically means that if you want your latency go with Ogero, we will no longer provide it since its costing us a fortune.

The internet infrastucture is a complete mess. Its a mix a both, and the main problems is not in the networks in themselves but with the shit hardware and very very very stupid staff that they have in these companies, literally nothing can be done through phone since they expect you to speak arabic (which im really bad at) and plus you'd be talking to some idiot which at the end of all your ranting would say, "yeah we'll get back to that"; or so i think he says that (don't really keep up with this language to fully understand it)

you can describe our networks as such:

non secure country/network , online fraud cannot be easily detected in Lebanon because of the state of our network , few internet gateways serve huge amount of costumers with no IP tracking. So yeah it is somewhat of a mess.

Its always been a great issue here, the networks that is, and they fucking know it, but never do anything about it. I don't blame them really, they're probably too busy trying to "hold things down" with all this political mess we have here as well.

elmoreas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Man the things I take for granted being an American. We have our issues too, some serious... very serious. But still we take way to much for granted compared to what life is like in other parts of the world. I have traveled to 29 countries on 4 continents and I still feel like my eyes are barely open to the "real world". Anyways, back on topic. Thats too bad about the networks being run that way, they are unlikely to improve and you are not going to get better service without paying a premium for the state service and it sounds like its not to hot either. Perhaps someday they will get Sattelite internet up to speed and you will be able to take advantage of that. Well best wishes to you. Thanks again for the insight into life over there, it was interesting.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

Maz7006

iSEXu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
outgum said:
Well heres mine, Its always been like this.
THIS is New Zealand Internet for you ANYWHERE, We have shit internet, regardless of your ISP.
*snip

Yeah, regardless look at your latency.....

I do know what you feel

this is what i have at work:
736574935.png

Like iv'e said, latency ahs been a great issue lately.

what's really funny is that i work at a uni so connections should be flying, guess it isn't (and no its not limited)

scrtmstr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
this is what i have at work:
736574935.png

Like iv'e said, latency has been a great issue lately.
holy.... that's painfully slow
here's mine:

Holland has got pretty good internet, but it's around peek time now, so it's slower.
And it costs me 40 euro's a month including television and phone

Jasper07

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm happy with my internet, always works... First I had KPN and we had all kinds of trouble and stuff but with UPC it's better
smile.gif
. here are my stats:
736957137.png

EDIT: it appears that my laptop is just very very slow.
this one is on my dad's pc:
736968779.png

Ben_j

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
Maz7006 said:
just to give you an idea: 40$USD a month for 256kb/s cnxn

What the hell ? Are ISPs seriously that expensive ? In France, you can have 100mb/s (and 50mb/s up) for 29.90 € a month with TV and phone, if you have optical fiber. If you don't, it's the same price for about 20mb down and 1mb up.

EDIT : didn't see you were from Lebanon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good