Hacking I've modded a 4.2, how is a 3.x different?

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As per the title, I'm about to do a friend's wii which is fairly old. Apart from not having to remove stubs what's different? Guessing i'll need to use a 'safe uppater' to get the newer ios files. Bootmii will go on as boot2 instead of ios, does this mean the wii will always boot up bootmii first? Is there any way to skip to the system menu instead? Can you still install priiloader on older systems? Should I just update it to 4.2 first? Could I install bootmii boot2 first then update to 4.2? So many questions...

calthephenom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you should always update before installing homebrew for the first time. don't install bootmii first though, it will just be overwritten by 4.2 install after

elmariachi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
to my knowledge older systems can use preloader and newer sys priiloader
and if you install bootmii as boot2 and remove the SD card you have the files on you go straight to the sys menu

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
Installing bootmii should be the first thing you do, then take a nand backup.

No need to update to 4.x. On 3.2 you'd just run hackmii via bannerbomb, install bootmii and hbc, make a nand backup, use any number of apps (dop-mii) to update any ios if you so wish, and to install any you are missing.

Delete/rename the bootmii dir on the SD card (or don't have a card inserted) and it will boot to the sys menu. You can also edit the bootmii config file, set autoboot to sysmenu and delay to 0 to achieve the same.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just follow the guide that moejoe linked. It will work fine on 3.x.

@Salax: The official update can brick your wii if the boot2 update fails...the guide's update doesn't carry that brick risk (although user error can be a risk here).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why...