I've modded a 4.2, how is a 3.x different?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by apoptygma, Jun 7, 2010.

Jun 7, 2010
  1. apoptygma
    OP

Member apoptygma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    As per the title, I'm about to do a friend's wii which is fairly old. Apart from not having to remove stubs what's different? Guessing i'll need to use a 'safe uppater' to get the newer ios files. Bootmii will go on as boot2 instead of ios, does this mean the wii will always boot up bootmii first? Is there any way to skip to the system menu instead? Can you still install priiloader on older systems? Should I just update it to 4.2 first? Could I install bootmii boot2 first then update to 4.2? So many questions...

2. calthephenom

Member calthephenom GBAtemp Regular

United States
    you should always update before installing homebrew for the first time. don't install bootmii first though, it will just be overwritten by 4.2 install after

3. moejoe

Newcomer moejoe Newbie

United Kingdom
  4. elmariachi

Member elmariachi GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    to my knowledge older systems can use preloader and newer sys priiloader
    and if you install bootmii as boot2 and remove the SD card you have the files on you go straight to the sys menu

5. apoptygma
    OP

Member apoptygma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Can I put on booymii then use a 'safe 4.2 updater'? This seems like the best option.

6. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    Installing bootmii should be the first thing you do, then take a nand backup.

No need to update to 4.x. On 3.2 you'd just run hackmii via bannerbomb, install bootmii and hbc, make a nand backup, use any number of apps (dop-mii) to update any ios if you so wish, and to install any you are missing.

Delete/rename the bootmii dir on the SD card (or don't have a card inserted) and it will boot to the sys menu. You can also edit the bootmii config file, set autoboot to sysmenu and delay to 0 to achieve the same.

7. Salax

Member Salax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's safer to go Ninty.

8. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Just follow the guide that moejoe linked. It will work fine on 3.x.

@Salax: The official update can brick your wii if the boot2 update fails...the guide's update doesn't carry that brick risk (although user error can be a risk here).