Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is this true? I heard that playing PS1 games for a long time tend to wear out the PS2's laser. Is this for real?

Link5084

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Someone said "cheap media AKA CD-ROMS = wears out PS2's laser faster"

I just wanted to make sure it was BS, thanks guys

BAHIM Z 360

B-but I'm not a new member :(
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
it did happend to me once,i played ps1 copy games (not original) on the ps2 and they made a mess to it!!
ohmy.gif

.......unless your talking about original games wears out the ps2 lens then thats not true.
lecture.gif

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
When people say "wearing lens" or "wearing laser" they mean the gear in the seek arm, right?
For that matter, reading ANY disc will wear it out.

PS3 doesn't have that part any more because it was such a problem, and people are still worried about the problem. The life of the actual lens is pretty long.
If your PS3's been reading discs 24/7 since its Japanese launch, it's expected to last 3 more years reading discs 24/7 and 365.25 days a year.

Link5084

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wait a minute, I noticed something weird. I just tried to burn a PS2 CD based game and when I put it in my PS2, it works but the motor in the PS2 is a bit too loud. Anyone know the reason and will CD PS2 games wear out the laser?

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
754boy then consider yourself lucky. Back when it was an active system and I worked in the industry a lot of people in the ind are pirates too and a lot of DCs there ran nothing but burns and they took those systems out. Maybe it was the early style they were done in, but it ate em up causing it to do other than normal searches scanning the disc which wore down the motor and laser. This also seems to from what I've experienced again there at work happened to the PS2 even using official system kits and burning test masters to test the games in development. Ultimately these systems are designed to read the media only as intended, and when you place it in another direction, style, speed, whatever than what's considered the norm, it will chip away at the system faster than usual wear and tear.

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing that will wear out the PS2 faster is watching DVD's - during games the laser and related parts are only used periodically, but during DVD playback the laser is running continuously.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
how exactly can you wear out a laser? you do know all a laser is is focused light from a particular spectrum... never really understood how you can wear out light...

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the motor and the optics if I remember right. Unless you have a complete and perfect straight copy of the disc things don't access the same way and can pop all over to find the data which can wear stuff down. That's why I brought up the Dreamcast as a lot of stuff was hack and slashed to save space on discs and download time. Problem was the system would read like mad always going back and forth picking up what it needed and would wear it down and set the sensitivity of it off so you'd have to open it up and screw around with those pots in there to find a sweet spot to get it to read a bit longer. I remember having the issue on one, most where I used to work went through units due to irregular wear cutting the life down.

I mean really do whatever you want, it could happen, it could not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P +1