Ive been lightly following the recent PS3 stuffs and...

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by bnui_ransder, Jan 13, 2011.

1. bnui_ransder
    OP

Newcomer bnui_ransder Member

United States
    Hello! Yes, bnui the noob here.

Do you think it will be possible to one day to "enable" the PS3 without a device? I cannot afford one of the compatible devices, and I dont have one already so it limits my options. I just reflowed my old PS3 thats been broken for 22 months after an update so I dont mind trying stuff on it since it might just break again.

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    If by "enable" you mean "enable homebrew on", then yes-and-no. No, you can't do it without a "compatible device". Yes, "compatible devices" now include normal USB flash drives that you can just download Custom Firmware on, put it on the drive, plug it into the PS3, and run the custom update. It's much easier now than in the days of USB Jailbreak devices.

GeoHotz's CFW is currently the most popular although there are around 4 that I've heard of so far, and probably a dozen more being developed to pirate games.

Beware that anything you do on the PS3 is logged, and if you have any internet connection on the PS3 at all (at the time of booting up), Sony will know all about what you're up to. The only way around this is to disable the internet connection and stay disconnected until someone works out how to "tweak" the logs or just block the entire function altogether. Might take a while...

3. bnui_ransder
    OP

United States
    Ahh Alright! Thank you!

I've asked in a couple other places about the new firmware. I asked if it needed to be already set up to install the firmware or if I could just do it from a normal PS3, but all I got was insults.

Thank you for all the additional info and tips as well!

4. ferdi-t

Member ferdi-t GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I somewhat wonder what those places were. [​IMG]

But seriously, keep this place in your bookmarks. I have lurked here for two years before I registered, and I have always had a lot of help from this place. The knowledge of some regulars here is quite astonishing.

5. Originality

United Kingdom
    Knowledge here spreads like a disease. A few people who are good at researching pass on the info here, and the more intelligent regulars soak it up like paint on a sponge because sooner or later, they'll have to repeat it again (sponge stamps).

6. bnui_ransder
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I've lurked around the Wii section and GBA/DS section for a while, and I dont really get the chance to help when I can because someone has always offered help already. Since I havent touched this PS3 in almost 2 years, I am basically clueless when it comes to this section.... and I didnt want to look like a helpless nub here lol.

7. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Since the keys have been released, it will be VERY soon to have a stable CFW that all you have to do is stick the .pkg files on your USB stick and install from the game menu.

Right now the kinks are still being worked out but thats to be expected this early in development.

8. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    We can already do that.

9. Originality

United Kingdom
    AFAIK, every CFW released so far can do it, of which there are 4 that I know of.