iTunes Gave Me a MPEG4 instead of MP3

CorruptJon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You most likely got a MPEG14 file or .mp4 not MPEG4 which is a type of .avi file. That .mp4 file is a video, so you probably bought a video or something.

fermio100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's a video, load it into your ipod, go to video and watch. got 8 gigs of mp4 that I watch on TV. It's cool!!!

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It is not a video just a song. It is a MPEG-4 Audio File, is exactly 10.00 Megabytes, and opens with iTunes. I don't have a iPod.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, its a song. Its apple's protection against fighting piracy. You need iTunes to open them. Which I think is also the reason you cant transfer iPod songs to a friends computer. I just read today though, that at MacWorld Apple announced they may be getting rid of the protection.

DarkRey

still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
why do u want to convert it? are u going to use it on another player (mp3 players)?
ohh forgot itunes has a built in mp3/mp4 converter.....right click on the song and a window should open and there should be an option to convert it to mp3

Egonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
ZenithMarth said:
It is not a video just a song. It is a MPEG-4 Audio File, is exactly 10.00 Megabytes, and opens with iTunes. I don't have a iPod.
Little guess, should it be a m4a audio file?
You can't convert it because it's DRM protected, unless you burn it on a CD and rip it over again to a non-protected file.

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Egonny said:
ZenithMarth said:
You can't convert it because it's DRM protected, unless you burn it on a CD and rip it over again to a non-protected file.

Oh I see. I just want to play the songs on my xbox + moonshell.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Egonny said:
ZenithMarth said:
That's .m4b files you're talking about, .m4a files should be unprotected.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Protected.jpg

A lot of the older music on iTunes is in .m4p. Which is protected.
Apple DRM is gay, there is a free program that has been discontinued that can unprotect it, but good luck hunting it down.
In my opinion, the easiest way to convert it to .mp3 is to burn it to a cd and rip it off that cd.

reimu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.tintedglass.net
XP
Country
Canada
You could always try converting it to mp3 with itunes itself. Make sure you have your import settings set as mp3 (on a mac preferences -> General -> Import Settings [beside "When you insert a CD"]) and right click on the file in itunes, it should say "Create mp3 Version". I'm on a mac though so PC might be different.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
reimu said:
You could always try converting it to mp3 with itunes itself. Make sure you have your import settings set as mp3 (on a mac preferences -> General -> Import Settings [beside "When you insert a CD"]) and right click on the file in itunes, it should say "Create mp3 Version". I'm on a mac though so PC might be different.

That would work, if it wasn't protected...

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, a couple of my songs are not protected because I can play them through AudioSurf. But I can't play the proceed ones. I guess I will try and burn them to a cd like you said.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte