Hacking It's pretty cool how Microsoft provided a way to run homebrew on the XB1 without hacking.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And most of those apps are also of benefit to W10M and W10-PC users (and maybe the IOT version too)

that's the only thing I really appreciate of W10

D

Deleted User

And most of those apps are also of benefit to W10M and W10-PC users (and maybe the IOT version too)

that's the only thing I really appreciate of W10
You can also install these apps on W8.1 since it supports packages also.

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's not the intended purpose of the mode... But it's pretty smart. If we're allowed to run our own code, people wouldn't feel the need to hack it. It's pretty neat. There's even premade dev tools (Visual Studio) and established libraries. Thoughts?

I'm sure it's not intended for homebrew and or emulation but either way it keeps both sides happy. If anyone asked me what's one feature you like the most on Xbox One it's hands down Dev Mode. No other console is doing this.

Flux0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better than PS4.
It definitely is for myself. I originally got mine because of backwards compatibility with 360 games. I didn't even have a clue about dev mode until I stumbled upon it here.

Now a few months later 80% of my 360 games work and emulators on dev mode have started making real progress. Now my XB1 can replace both my 360 and original Xbox while still being able to go online and play new games without any worries.

I am perfectly fine with those trade offs for a slightly less powerful GPU than the PS4 has.

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It definitely is for myself. I originally got mine because of backwards compatibility with 360 games. I didn't even have a clue about dev mode until I stumbled upon it here.

Now a few months later 80% of my 360 games work and emulators on dev mode have started making real progress. Now my XB1 can replace both my 360 and original Xbox while still being able to go online and play new games without any worries.

I'm quite interested in Dev Mode, but how does it affect 360 games? As in how would you go about being able to play them? And someone else said free of charge, but wasn't it $20?

Reactions: wiired24

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm quite interested in Dev Mode, but how does it affect 360 games? As in how would you go about being able to play them? And someone else said free of charge, but wasn't it $20?

You can still play your 360 games by just switching back to retail mode. It's a seamless process that takes like 25-30 seconds and you can always switch back and forth. And yes it was $20 originally, but its now free with the promotional coupon

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can still play your 360 games by just switching back to retail mode. It's a seamless process that takes like 25-30 seconds and you can always switch back and forth. And yes it was $20 originally, but its now free with the promotional coupon

Thanks! It's going to be an interesting time when I set it up x3

Two questions though, checked some articles about it, it requires a wired connection to your PC? Can't connect through the network?

Also how easy is it to run emulators and the such? And the UWP platform only supports their packages correct? No way to easily package a .exe decompiled or such? No unity games or....?

I completely forgot that they were still adding additional games to the backwards compatibility list xD

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! It's going to be an interesting time when I set it up x3

Two questions though, checked some articles about it, it requires a wired connection to your PC? Can't connect through the network?

Also how easy is it to run emulators and the such? And the UWP platform only supports their packages correct? No way to easily package a .exe decompiled or such? No unity games or....?

I completely forgot that they were still adding additional games to the backwards compatibility list xD
Nah, you can use WiFi too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over