It's official, I have my own 360. No more wussie "I might&quo

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by VVoltz, Sep 10, 2008.

1. VVoltz
    OP

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    Veho was right, the Dark side is easier, more seductive.... [​IMG]
    I'm holding the controller of my very first own XBox 360. The 20G model that comes with HDMI, 274USD on Amazon, pretty good deal if you ask me.

The problem is... I don't have wired router near my room so I cannot connect to the Internet, I might be able to do it using my Computer and my WiFi connection, but I need a non-crossed Ethernet cable.

Hugs for everyone who made this possible, I would like to thank Linki, mthr, Thug and all the people who really pushed me into getting one [​IMG]

2. Bluntsly

Newcomer Bluntsly Member

Canada
    It looks like you own a ps3?
    Based on your initial impressions, how does it compare?

3. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Which is better then VVoltz?

EDIT: I see you have halo 3, I want to play a match with you when you get online.

k? thx

4. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    When I had a TV set up in my room, my 360 was in there and I used two routers to bridge my connection. Works like a charm if you use the right routers.

But alas, I'm down one tv and one router, so I'm wired. And for you my brother, I give you this link
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?threadid=918569

[​IMG]

5. BiscuitBee

Member BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Canada
    Does your computer have Wifi on it? You could do *shudder* Internet Connection Sharing with your NIC and run that line to your Xbox 360. A connection between a NIC and the Xbox NIC will be a cross-over cable.

...or run a long cable through your house [​IMG]

PS: Congrats on the purchase!

6. VVoltz
    OP

Bolivia
    My Desktop computer has Wifi, however I tried to connect my Ethernet adapter to my 360 and share the connection in Windows but I on the 360's dashboard it keeps telling me that the network adapter is disconnected. I'm using the bundled ethernet cable and I think that one is non crossed (because of the colors on the plug), I thought you need a NON crossed so I don't know why is not working now =(

Thanks for all your support guys! I'm loving both consoles, too bad I cannot connect to the Internet with my 360 yet.... =(

7. BiscuitBee

Canada
    Nah, 'host' to 'host' requires a cross-over cable. If you've got a networking friend, they can chop off one of the ends of your cable and... cross it. [SPECS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable]

IF you don't want to be trouble with a cross-over cable, you can always get a small network switch (for under $30 no doubt). You'll need two patch/straight-through (aka Non-Crossed?) cables (we know you have at least one, the bundled one) and one more. [See Fig1]

Fig1. Computer NIC -----[patch]------ Switch -------[patch] -------- Xbox 360

With this setup, you can then plug in more stuff to the switch for internet access.

For added redundancy, use another wireless router instead of a switch! [Fig2]

Fig2. Computer NIC ------[patch]------(Uplink/WAN Port>)Router---[patch]---Xbox 360.

I suggest getting a cross-over, though, since port forwarding with one router + one computer Internet connection sharing is problematic enough.... let alone having TWO routers with a computer between. *ugh*

8. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    I got this XBOX (the old one) cable for slightly above $2, and it's long enough to connect the router in my master bedroom to the 360 in the living room.

Usually super long cables like this are expensive but I found it cheap, and works perfectly fine.

9. VVoltz
    OP

Bolivia
    Fuck yeah, I just connected using a regular network cable, here I used this tutorial.

10. BiscuitBee

Canada
    Hey, sweet tutorial! I like the bolded "do not need" for the crossover cable. Oh the future we now live in where ports are smart enough to know what they are connected to. ... which should have been the case in first place!