it's not being recognized by my usb port

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Tacos, Aug 23, 2006.

Aug 23, 2006
  1. Tacos
    OP

Newcomer Tacos Newbie

United States
    i'm guessing this is a hardware problem?

i stuck the g6 lite thing into the usb port on my computer. the 'found new device' message pops up, everything's fine. it doesn't autorun, so i go to my computer and click on drive f:, and it says: 'please insert disk into drive f:'

now, anything else i plug in that usb drive works fine. the g6 lite thing doesn't work on my dad's laptop either. *sigh* am i going to have to return this and get another one?

2. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    Just to be sure, you do have the G6Lite cart plugged into the UDisk before connecting it to your USB, correct?

3. Drucifer

Newcomer Drucifer Member

Canada
    haha... maybe he is using an empty cart. Make sure the G6 is in the cart you are putting on the USB device.

4. odyssy

Newcomer odyssy Advanced Member

Canada
    I'm experiencing the same problem. Just unpacked my G6L.. plugged the cart into the burner, and then the burner + cart into a USB port. A new drive letter shows up, but when I click on it, it says "Please insert a disk into drive O:.".

I tried it with each of the shell casings (I'm not 100% sure which one the G6L is actually installed into - but I think it's the black one, since it seems a bit heavier.. ), with the same result.

What's going on here?

Solution!
    I figured out what was wrong. I realized when I plugged in the burner that the light didn't turn on (no mention of this anywhere in the manual - which I find sorely lacking, meh.. but realized it was supposed to from forum posts).

I plugged it into a different USB port (maybe it needs a powered port, and not just one off a hub?), and it works fine now.

5. rkenshin

Member rkenshin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    mine came preformatted with a bunch of PDA crap on it.. maybe yours wasn't?

6. Zap

Member Zap GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hmm, the documentation does not say, but can anyone confirm that the G6 lite works on USB 1.0, USB 1.1, and USB 2.0?

I know for a fact that it works on USB 2.0.

Maybe it doesn't work on anything other than USB 2.0?

7. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    It works fine on USB 1.1 for me.

8. 96hondaex

Member 96hondaex GBAtemp Regular

United States

Right click on it to see if it will let you format it. If it does then reformat it (FAT not FAT32), when done formatting unplug and plug back in to see if it works.

9. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    I don't know for sure, but in my experience with other USB flash drives, they work best off directly powered ports on your computer, not off hubs, so I'm guessing the same should be true for the G6.

10. Prince Medion

Newcomer Prince Medion Advanced Member

United States
    K I just got mine today and I'm having a similar problem, I put in the cart (no it wasn't a faceplate) and first time I put it in it said it found new hardware and even registers it so I can stop it and remove it safely however when I go to My Computer there is no drive for it, I have a drive for everything else (all of which I've tested) but there isn't any new drive for it. I'm sure the cart is in perfectly and everything as well.

Some mentioned that you ned directly powered ports on your computer in order for it to work correctly, but I don't understand how you can know if it's a powered port or a hub or whatever.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also the little blue light comes on as well if that tells you anything more.

Edit 2: And yes I've connected the cart to the burner before putting the burning into the USB port. and I'm sure the cart is in correctly.

11. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    A hub is usually an external device, but if you have USB sockets on the front of your computer taking up a drive bay slot, then that might be a hub too. You're best off using a USB socket direct from your motherboard, although a simple extension lead is fine too.

12. Falkentyne

Member Falkentyne GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Do you have "Removeable Storage" service disabled in services.msc ?

you can either do start menu ->run ->services.msc, or open it through control panel->administrative tools.

13. Prince Medion

United States
    No it's not disabled.

14. delta123

Member delta123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    i had that problem. but after i d/ced it and then reconnected it it worked properly.

15. Prince Medion

United States
    I get the feeling I need a powered port does anyone know anything about them?

16. Zap

United States
    It sounds to me like your PC is providing the burner power through the USB port.

It maybe that the card isn't properly formated, which might result in no storage detection.

Have you tried all USB ports available to you? Perhaps try it on a different computer. I would recommend a fairly new computer to ensure that you have USB 2.0 on the system. Try to see if you can format it using FAT file system.

Let us know how it turns out.

EDIT: This post is meant for Prince Medion

EDIT2: Also, in the services.msc window, make sure you click "Start" on the "Removable Storage" service. It may state "Manual" and never started.

17. Prince Medion

United States
    I've tried every USB port, 8 on my good computer, 2 on another computer, I'm fairly sure my current/good computer has 2.0 on the system because I have an external Harddrive and DVD burner which required that I buy 2.0 (at least I I'm pretty sure it was 2.0) USB ports (got something with 4 or 5 of them) which allows all of those to run.

As for the services.msc I did start it on the Removeable Storage service and it was on manual, and it didn't do anything sadly.

I believe my other computer has the hub port in the front of it since it didn't do anything when I plugged it in (no lite came on, no detection of new storage or anything.) This makes me think my other ports on my good computer are powered.

I only have the two computers and a very very old laptop, none of them are exactly 'new' either.

Any other ideas besides buying a NEW computer? XD

18. 96hondaex

Member 96hondaex GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would first try it on a friends computer...

19. Prince Medion

United States
    That didn't work either, is there anyway I can format it on my own computer? The drive is reconized but ti just won't register with my computer so would it be possible to somehow bypass that and format it perhaps in DOS or something?

20. Zap

United States
    How is your flash card "recognized" under windows. Recognized can mean Windows XP detects hardware but doesn't know what it is. Or it can mean that it recognized it and identifies what it is and just need u to set up the rest such as formating and readying for use.

What exactly does Windows XP tell you?