It's Made A Fan Of Me/Older 3DS Users

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by keasy, Jun 26, 2011.

Jun 26, 2011
  1. keasy
    OP

Member keasy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I never bothered with the DSLites my kids had too much as most of the titles I found to be very immature, kiddy, generally piss and unappealing.

But now I've got them their 3DS's I'm hooked. I'm in my forties and never thought a hand-held could grip me as such.

Eg: Zelda OoT is a great title to release as it's got older gamers like me frothing at the mouth. Then there is Pilot Wings Resort which again has me addicted as I have refound my love of the Pilot Wings N64 vers.

I'm now at the stage when I'm waiting like a big daft eejit with considerable excitement for my kids to go to bed so I can jump on their 3DS's and have a game or two and a general fart about. I just think it's a very desirable little machine that is all shiny and instilled with 'use me you know you want to' appeal.

Sterling job Ninty [​IMG]

2. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    And it's not even started to shine.

And what is a daft eejit [​IMG]

3. keasy
    OP

United Kingdom
    LOL

Soz, I often relapse to my own colloquial Scottish tongue.

A daft eejit would be a way of saying an idiotic fool [​IMG]

4. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    Well I am still waiting to buy me a 3DS but the more fan reports I read here in the forums the more I think I need to buy it soon ^^

still waiting for a flash card thanks to the "good" experience with all the shovelware for GBA/NDS/Wii

5. keasy
    OP

United Kingdom
    I hesitated for a while too mate, even though the primary users are my kids.

I'm glad we went for it. The recent price drop helped me decide too I must admit.

6. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    Sterling post, OP. XD

and i like that "daft eejit". real smooth, and gets you around filters too. mind if i borrow? [​IMG]

anyways, on topic, i'm not as old (yet), but on my early thirties. and some may find this scary, but my current motivations have nothing to do with grand life designs, but goodies, such as the 3DS. at the age that most of my peers are gearing up in their careers/settling down early, i'm counting the days till the next paycheck, saving up to get that shiny little cross-eyed handheld. i guess i was a born gamer, eh?

7. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I'm 44 and loving the 3DS as well. But I've been pretty deep into Nintendo since a little more than 10 years ago. Curiously enough, while I did play some NES and SNES back in the day, I wasn't too much of a gamer back then because I was too focused on staying as intoxicated as possible at all times and exposing myself to significant risk of venereal disease. [​IMG] Once I met the lady who is now my wife of nearly 12 years, I started spending a lot more time at home and discovered the joys of emulation. Then I went out and bought a new N64 because at that time the emulators for that system couldn't cut the mustard like the NES and SNES emus could. Been spending stupid money on Nintendo ever since (but still enjoy emulators).

As for the DS, you're right that the catalog is predominantly kiddy junk. Stuff that even the kids (the smart ones anyway) know isn't worth their time. But there are some real jewels in that pile too. And the 3DS is backwards compatible.

8. hendrix5757

Newcomer hendrix5757 Member

United States
    [​IMG] Awesome!

9. subcon959

Member subcon959 teh retro

United Kingdom
    Glad I'm not the only old fart around here. The secret to all this of course is having a missus that understands our need to cling onto that ever fading youth. Or being bloody good at pretending to be working everytime she walks in.

10. DrOctapu

Member DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

United States
    Thanks, now I'm going to read your posts with a Scottish accent in mind for the rest of eternity. Stealing that phrase, btw.

11. cosmiccow

Member cosmiccow Original Hippie

Germany
    With 28 you may laugh at me - but I'm probably still older than 90% of 3DS gamers.

As for video gaming I only had a Game Boy as a child. So now I'm kind of compensating [​IMG]
    For commuting to Uni I got myself my first other handheld: A Palm (Zodiac).

Meanwhile, paying my own rent, I got my first DVD player and media center: A (hacked) XBox - which also happened to be my first home console. Still in Uni I bought a Nintendo DS.. a Wii..

Then from one of my first full time job paychecks I got a PS3 and now, because I'm still commuting 30-45 minutes a 3DS. (OK, the commuting is just an excuse - I also play 3DS at home. Especially with an exciting game like OoT. *wanders off to beat fire temple boss*)

12. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    I am 30 years old and around me I am the only left still playing a lot of video game. I am a huge fan of fighting games and currently the Nintendo 3DS gives me the chance to play Super Street Fighter 4, Dead or Alive: Dimensions and BlazBlue: CSII in 3D-glassless .. FUCK YEAH DUDE !! Bring it on, Zelda OoT next week and RE:Mercenaries 3D tomorrow.

Ridge Race 3D is also a very enjoyable game when the cars you unlock are getting faster and faster.

I am getting Zelda next week, I ordered it online because I want it in french and there was only english available in my area.

Pip'

13. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Isn't the 3DS region locked?...

14. Pippin666

Canada
    In Quebec, retailers could get their hand on 2 version of the game, one in english, one in French including a French manual. On Zelda launch day, some store had few french version and some had none at all.

Pip'

15. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    Well now that there was a 3ds on sale rather "cheap" by some company on ebay (officiall shop that is not only on ebay) I just bought one ...

Price was/is 199€ while i searched on Amazon and the Saturn Homepage only to see they want 230-250€
    so yeah was more or less a must buy after all the good things i heard already ^^

Now my only problem is ... i have no games and I am not exactly sure what to do with this thing XD
    I hope there will be a flash card later on, same as DS i will buy at least some of the really good games but i preffer to test the games before buying some shit.

ex. games like Zelda, everyone loves them so they seem like must buy but for me this is a no go.
    currently only game that seems interesting to me is pilot wings i think ... maybe the naruto one have yet to look for previews ...

Sadly as for what i have read my acecard does not work on the 3ds so i still have to use my 3d for some games ... dunno if there is a simultan release for some games but i am still waiting for joker 2 ... (or did i already miss an english release ? XD)

16. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Wait... wait...

You are 30? Never would have guess. I mean I was at least thinking teen.

Anyway not a old gamer,but I have been a fan from the beginning.

17. Pippin666

Canada
    Huh, okay.

Pip'

18. Rev Jim

Newcomer Rev Jim Advanced Member

Guyana
    Well here is one "older gamer" you can count out for the 3DS. Not impressed in the least with the launch. Sure the specs are good, but without games they're nothing really.

For the record I own a PSP-3000 (TN-E), DSI XL (supercard DSTWO), Droid-X, soon a tablet, an assortment of consoles (360 PS3, wii etc) and a gaming PC rig.

Between all of the above I have an abundance of games to play, obvioulsy with not nearly enough time to play them [​IMG] I can play any game in the world...other than 3DS or Virtual Boy and maybe a few really arcane systems that don't have emulators and so far what 3 months past the launch I've yet to see a title for the 3DS that makes me want or need it. Sure I'd love to play Ocarina of Time for the umpteenth time, but so far that's it. There are no titles really for the 3DS yet to lure me to it. I'm plenty happy with the handful of titles I have to play on the PSP alone, not to mention emulator titles from PS1 to GBA. And Resident Evil Mercenaries? Fail - regrettably. I'm rooting for the 3Ds, but right now it does...not...look...good.

But if it floats your boat, that's all that matters right! [​IMG]

19. linuxGuru

Member linuxGuru GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There was a Virtual Boy emulator made for wii recently: http://gbatemp.net/t297995-wiirtual-boy?go...p;#entry3726521, It's awesome!

20. blaydes99

Newcomer blaydes99 Member

30-year old gamer here. I kind of felt that same thing but I wanted to have a little fun with my 3DS while I wait for better games. I decided I had to get a few games to at least try it out, the first was Ghost Recon. I wasn't super excited about it at the time. After playing it for 10 minutes, I was hooked, and I've now put about 40 hours into that game (at least?). I highly recommend trying it out.

Of course, I've now purchased quite a few games for the 3DS, but I can't wait for the 1st party Nintendo games and a few others that are on the horizon.