Its like i always say.... bullcrap.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Give real gamers their games and fun back you bullshit "collectors"!

Erm... Are you for real?

Super Mario bros is available on roughly every platform Nintendo has released games for, and if you go by way of emulators, there's easy a dozen ways to play it.

So can we please stop pretending gamers can't get their hands on this game?
Okay, so an original copy seems for two million bucks. It's not something I'd consider, but if there's someone willing to pay such a price, who are we to say he 's wrong?
It'd be a different thing if this game was hard to come by or if there weren't a gazillion clones giving a similar experience, but there are. So no... Gamers have nothing to do with this.

That Twitter message @subcon959 puts out is a different thing. That's a direct attempt at market manipulation (or creating a financial bubble... I'm not too familiar with the terms here). That probably is a felony, though knowing that and proving that are two different things.

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
i have super mario nes in near perfect condition, does that mean i'm a millionaire xD

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Erm... Are you for real?

Super Mario bros is available on roughly every platform Nintendo has released games for, and if you go by way of emulators, there's easy a dozen ways to play it.

So can we please stop pretending gamers can't get their hands on this game?
Okay, so an original copy seems for two million bucks. It's not something I'd consider, but if there's someone willing to pay such a price, who are we to say he 's wrong?
It'd be a different thing if this game was hard to come by or if there weren't a gazillion clones giving a similar experience, but there are. So no... Gamers have nothing to do with this.

That Twitter message @subcon959 puts out is a different thing. That's a direct attempt at market manipulation (or creating a financial bubble... I'm not too familiar with the terms here). That probably is a felony, though knowing that and proving that are two different things.
what are you actually trying to say?

well its not gamers passion thats for sure...

Gamers be like....
https://youtube.com/clip/UgxPEUoo0Mgk3WEKS654AaABCQ

Last edited by MetoMeto,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is a really interesting “no-win” strategy to really fuck with the seller. If the seller complied and ups the price, they contribute the greater problem of artificially inflating the market. If the seller lowers the price, chances are the person(s) trying to drive up the price will buy the game as quickly as possible, then drive up the price. If they take the game off the market, the price is driven up through scarcity. There’s literally no winning for the seller nor the larger resell market as a whole.

Reactions: subcon959

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is a really interesting “no-win” strategy to really fuck with the seller. If the seller complied and ups the price, they contribute the greater problem of artificially inflating the market. If the seller lowers the price, chances are the person(s) trying to drive up the price will buy the game as quickly as possible, then drive up the price. If they take the game off the market, the price is driven up through scarcity. There’s literally no winning for the seller nor the larger resell market as a whole.
Exactly, and as much as I hate to admit it, the only solution is an all-digital world with no second hand market.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Exactly, and as much as I hate to admit it, the only solution is an all-digital world with no second hand market.
Which ends up with it’s own caveats because companies, like Nintendo, make buying a digital game a complete gamble. By not having a free upgrades/transfers of digital games to newer hardware, they basically make buying digital unappealing. There’s also the nonsense around possible removal of games from digital markets or even the entire market being shutdown. Sony and Microsoft both seem to have addressed that by actually allowing digital games to be transferred to new hardware. Still, it’s a gamble because we never know what might change because these companies really do just change on a dime.
The issues with physical copies skyrocketing and uncertainty of console digital markets is actually why I buy a lot of my games either on both Steam and the consoles‘ market or on mobile. I don’t enjoy PC gaming but I am willing to buy the same game when it goes on sale to ensure I can still play it or own it in the future. Which sucks because it means I spend more money trying to avoid another Scott Pilgrim because I can’t trust companies to give a shit about their games.
There’s also the issue of companies like Square Enix, who outright disrespects customers when they buy digitally. A good example is removing their old games for upgraded or completed versions of the game and then requiring users to pay full price (sometimes higher,) for the games. No compensation for users who bought the games previously. Of course this doesn’t happen in the physical market but it still comes off as a dick move, especially if you are someone who was enjoying the game they delisted and are now being asked to buy it again for arbitrary changes.
There’s also the gamble of compatibility of digital games with newer software/hardware. Again, looking at Square Enix, who has notoriously bad support for their games, especially for mobile. It’s been months now and there are still countless Square Enix games and apps that still don’t work with iOS 14.5. There’s literally no excuse because the update for supporting 14.5 isn’t that hard to do and most apps updated weeks in advance, but Square is still dragging their feet. This isn’t even the first time either, it took over a year of complaining to get an update to The World Ends with You on mobile. This is just from my experience but I know PC gaming has issues with compatibility due to software and hardware differences. Which is often compounded when a game doesn’t get updates often enough to deal with issues.
I think what we need is a major change in marketing practices because these are all part of bigger issues.

Last edited by The Catboy,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't agree that all-digital is the only solution.
Selling new games 'unsealed' would stop a lot of speculative collecting, as 'unsealed' a 'new' game is unidentifiable from a 'used' one.
Most of us that consider ourselves gamers AND collectors have enough common sense to see when a market is being manipulated by greedy individuals with no connection to the hobby other than the multiplication of dollar signs, and there's enough of us sensible types around that can educate others. If you're primarily a gamer that collects (like myself) there's absolutely no reason to own a sealed game. I do have some sealed games, but they were all titles I bought new with the intention of playing them at some point. And when that time comes I will have no problem with unsealing it to put it into whatever console I'm going to play it on... regardless of how the 'value' of it plummets.
These scummy fucks at Heritage/WATA will more than likely end up getting massively fined, at the very least, for their manipulation of the market. As Karl Jobst's video points out; some of the same people involved were already investigated and charged with the manipulation of the coin collecting market a few decades back, and so far this is playing out exactly the same.
EVERYONE knows these games are NOT worth the headline grabbing prices they've been selling for, and it only took one youtuber some minor investigating to highlight all the publicly available facts that show a consortium buying and selling their own games to each other purely to drive up the prices.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't agree that all-digital is the only solution.
Selling new games 'unsealed' would stop a lot of speculative collecting, as 'unsealed' a 'new' game is unidentifiable from a 'used' one.
Most of us that consider ourselves gamers AND collectors have enough common sense to see when a market is being manipulated by greedy individuals with no connection to the hobby other than the multiplication of dollar signs, and there's enough of us sensible types around that can educate others. If you're primarily a gamer that collects (like myself) there's absolutely no reason to own a sealed game. I do have some sealed games, but they were all titles I bought new with the intention of playing them at some point. And when that time comes I will have no problem with unsealing it to put it into whatever console I'm going to play it on... regardless of how the 'value' of it plummets.
Don't get me wrong, I've been fairly outspoken about how much I hated the demise of physical PC games. Those big boxes with gorgeous artwork and thick manuals were half the fun of buying a game in the first place. I often find myself admiring them more than playing the games these days. I just don't see a way out of the current situation that doesn't involve a complete shift.. but then the greedy amongst us will probably find a way to ruin that too.

Oh man, if you guys think driving up the price of a game is bad, don't even look into what happens with the stock market.
The economics of it isn't the issue, it's that we'd like to think games are something other than just a commodity.

Last edited by subcon959,
Reactions: MetoMeto

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
i have super mario nes in near perfect condition, does that mean i'm a millionaire xD

what are you actually trying to say?
It means you - and only you - can set the price, should you want to sell it.
I dislike the OP because he wants you to set it low enough for gamers to buy it (as if they otherwise wouldn't have a means to play it somehow). I dislike the Twitter comment because he wants to set it higher than otherwise.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just...No.
Unfortunately, it's already happened and probably won't be stopped. I bet there are a large number of PC gamers that have never experienced the era before Steam. The second hand market for PC games still exists but it's quite niche now. The same thing could easily happen to consoles at some point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.