iTouch2 Vs Supercard DSONEi Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Opium, Jul 6, 2009.

Jul 6, 2009
  1. Opium
    OP

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    iTouch2 Vs Supercard DSONEi Review
    Official GBAtemp Review now online!
    [​IMG]

The official GBAtemp Review of the iTouch2 Vs Supercard DSONEi is now online! This special review pits two new Nintendo DSi flashcards against each other and compares their respective strengths and weaknesses.

If you're in the market for a DSi compatible flashcard be sure to check out the review to see if one of the cards is the right one for you. Both cards are packed with features like DSi compatibility, Real Time save, cheat support, soft reset, and the DSONEi even comes with a USB Firmware Writer. Many thanks go to My Gaming Mart for supplying the Supercard DSONEi review sample and the iTouch2 team for supplying the iTouch2.

[​IMG]

So what are you waiting for? Click the link below to be taken to the review. Feel free to ask questions in this thread.

[​IMG] iTouch2 Vs Supercard DSONEi Review

2. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Nice review. It stopped me from getting a supercard DSonei. lol. In the review it mentions the supercard being able to update its firmware like the Ackeard 2i. Why does it say in the review for the Ackeard 2i that there is no way for the average consumer to update the firmware? I'm sure this has been asked before. I'm sorry I really haven't been watching the DSi flash cart news lately. Thanks again for the review.

3. Opium
    OP

Australia
    The Acekard 2i firmware can be updated. The card initially did not run on a DSi if its language was set to anything but English. But they released an update to fix this language issue that would flash to the cards firmware. So it shows that the Acekard 2i is updatable. Check out the news story here:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=153116

4. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Thanks Opium. You helped mas ass twice today. That was the only fear I had of getting Acekard. Now I can get one.

5. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i'm looking forward to reading this review. thanks for taking the time to write it.

-another world

6. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    read it its a great reviw mind if i ask but what was that golden sun game on the ds

7. Opium
    OP

Australia
    It's a homebrew application that displays two images of a Golden Sun hoax I created a little while ago for a past E3 (thank god we've got a real Golden Sun DS now!).

8. iPikachu

Member iPikachu C3's personal flamebot and fail artist

Singapore
    aww man.. just my luck to get the supercard than the itouch. :< better than nothing i suppose.
    i don't get supercard's cheat support, i don't know where to access my cheats. but anyhoo, great review!

9. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    why dont you use ys menu or somethin

10. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Actually the latest update speeds it up quite a bit, and I hardly find it "annoyingly slow" anymore [​IMG]
    As for the savegames, it's just a question of renaming, but that Con makes it seem like the "incompatibilities" go beyond that. Maybe being a little more specific wouldn't hurt [​IMG]
    And if you use short names for games, the problem doesn't even occour.

Other than that, nice review [​IMG]

11. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

I like the idea of this review.
    If all future reviews are like that(or even comparison with 3-4 flashcarts at once) it would be great.

12. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    yes! been waiting for this. looks like a nice review.

13. Opium
    OP

Australia
    I reviewed the Supercard with the latest update in mind. The speed is a lot better than before the update, but when the view mode is set to anything but the simple list mode (any of the other three that show the game icon) it still is really slow to scroll through. It's not a game breaker as I said in my review, but it just makes the supercard feel rather clunky.

As for the wording on the save game 'incompatibilies', you're right. I'll change the wording. If you rename the save files to what the supercard wants it'll work. But it is tedious (especially if you have hundreds of save files) and also if you are a person who uses multiple flashcards like myself you save games will not work until you rename them, so no hot swapping the micro sd card into a different flashcard.

14. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Well, I always use the icon mode, but now that you say it, the list mode is a bit slow.

Yeah, it's a bit tedious, but most people will just use a single flashcard, usually [​IMG]

Thanks for taking notice of what I've said [​IMG]

15. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    Excellent review. Makes me not want either cart. [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    Not really. I think this update is just a bootstrap/bootloader update.
    In fact every team has their words to designate things.

If by firmware you mean the main code inside the processor, then the ak2i can't update it like on DSONEi, EZVi, M3i Zero.

BTW, great reviews Opium. [​IMG]
    Thanks.

17. bollocks

Member bollocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    great review, there's just one issue i have with it-
    i'd say this is a good thing. what if you only have a DSi, and you find after updating the DSi firmware your card no longer works? or you receive your card flashed with an older incompatible version out of the box? with the other cards you'd have to find someone with an older DS you could borrow to reflash it before you could use it again. the supercard at least allows you to do this independently of a DS, using any powered USB port.

18. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Great review. I like the way both cards were reviewed together, and the pros and cons compared. Won't be getting either anyway. Will be holding onto my acekard. [​IMG]

19. xDlmaoxD

Member xDlmaoxD GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I own both so this doesn't really matter to me.
    Thanks anyways always nice to find more about the cards.

20. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Or you can press L+A to swap the screens so you can use the touchscreen to navigate these options. Or change the .ini file like you said, though this is slightly more advanced.

Regarding the save files, in *theory* it supports long file names. In my experience, it's been hit or miss, with some games supporting the long-filenamed *.sav files I copied from my slot-2 Supercard and some games ignoring it and creating a new .sav file. I haven't had the time to tinker with it yet, but I suspect that there might be a more surefire way to make it accept more long filenames with the save files.